The Student Room Group

Retail Job Hurdles For Wheelchair User

I am a full time wheelchair user looking for part time work. I orginally avoided applying for retail positions because of practical issues such as shop tills being higher than me. However after searching for jobs for a few weeks I realised that retail was the main sector where I could get a job which would match the hours I can work.

I have since applied for retail positions which require minimal physical labour. I have been shortlisted for interview at a well known jewellery and watch store. I am now concerned that my disability will put the interviewer off as soon as he sees me.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get round awkward access to tills? I think I would be able to access the tills if slight adjustments were made but will my employer be bothered to make these adjustments if he can employ an able bodied person instead? And also what can I say if the interviewer asks how I'm going to cope with tills and reaching some of products on the higher isles?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Reply 1
You're worrying about it too much, because of the Equality Act 2010 employers have to take a positive action to employ a wider cross section of people (meaning that simply being disabled could work in your favour). If the employer has been put off from employing you because of your disability and there is no other good reason, then that is direct disability discrimination and you could probably take them to a tribunal. An employer cannot reject you simply because he cannot be assed to make reasonable adjustments. As far as I'm aware, an employer cannot ask a disabled person directly about their disability during the recruitment process, so your question about tills and higher isles should not be an issue. Basically, an employer cannot refuse to employ you because of your disability, so if he didn't employ you because you can't reach the higher items, you can take them to a tribunal. Of course, if there's better candidates, and the employer can prove there were better candidates, then it's all normal.

Do not automatically assume you cannot do a job, and don't let that prevent you from applying for a job. I'm a full time wheelchair user too, and I've researched into disability law.
Reply 2
Original post by NoCode
As far as I'm aware, an employer cannot ask a disabled person directly about their disability during the recruitment process.

Some might do; but that's more to do with needing adjustments during interviews.
Reply 3
Original post by ResultsDday
I am a full time wheelchair user looking for part time work. I orginally avoided applying for retail positions because of practical issues such as shop tills being higher than me. However after searching for jobs for a few weeks I realised that retail was the main sector where I could get a job which would match the hours I can work.

I have since applied for retail positions which require minimal physical labour. I have been shortlisted for interview at a well known jewellery and watch store. I am now concerned that my disability will put the interviewer off as soon as he sees me.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get round awkward access to tills? I think I would be able to access the tills if slight adjustments were made but will my employer be bothered to make these adjustments if he can employ an able bodied person instead? And also what can I say if the interviewer asks how I'm going to cope with tills and reaching some of products on the higher isles?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

well done for getting an interview and hope it goes well:smile:

did you mention being a wheelchair user on the application form?
Reply 4
Original post by getfunky!
well done for getting an interview and hope it goes well:smile:

did you mention being a wheelchair user on the application form?

Thanks. I'm not sure if I mentioned it. Looking back at my application it appears that I haven't. I never put down specifics about my disability in job applications as I don't want employers making assumptions before meeting me in person.
Reply 5
Original post by NoCode
You're worrying about it too much, because of the Equality Act 2010 employers have to take a positive action to employ a wider cross section of people (meaning that simply being disabled could work in your favour). If the employer has been put off from employing you because of your disability and there is no other good reason, then that is direct disability discrimination and you could probably take them to a tribunal. An employer cannot reject you simply because he cannot be assed to make reasonable adjustments. As far as I'm aware, an employer cannot ask a disabled person directly about their disability during the recruitment process, so your question about tills and higher isles should not be an issue. Basically, an employer cannot refuse to employ you because of your disability, so if he didn't employ you because you can't reach the higher items, you can take them to a tribunal. Of course, if there's better candidates, and the employer can prove there were better candidates, then it's all normal.

Do not automatically assume you cannot do a job, and don't let that prevent you from applying for a job. I'm a full time wheelchair user too, and I've researched into disability law.

Thanks for this. I have only recently began seriously looking for a job and this is my first job interview so I'm a little nervous about it. But your post has made me feel better.
Reply 6
A few years ago I worked for Marks and Spencer and one of my colleagues was in a wheelchair. Any adjustments that were needed would have been done for her and she was able to carry out her day to day job without any problems or needing much in the way of additional help. From what I remember the tills were at a level where a non wheelchair user would use a chair to sit at the til, so whenever she was on the til, the chair was simply moved out of the way. You will find that larger companies are very good at accommodating disabled employees. Like I say my experience with M and S was positive. They also seemed to be very flexible with people who needed to work certain hours, eg single parents. They were also supportive when I needed to take a couple of months off work following surgery because of a cancer scare and because of the circumstances paid me full pay while on sick leave, even though they were only contractually obliged to pay me for part of it.
Reply 7
Just a quick tip, I noticed you said you didn't mention your disability, but I think it's always best to mention it before hand, because while there is plenty of law in place, people still have their preconceptions, and if you let potential employers or other important people know about your disability before you meet them, it will not be a surprise to them, and they would also be able to make adjustments if need be for the interview, etc. Also, if you're good with words you may make into a positive point on a CV or application form by saying something like "I am a full time wheelchair user, but I do not let this stop me achieving my goals in life", I think something like that allows you to highlight certain personality qualities that people may be looking for in you.
Reply 8
Original post by NoCode

And in the real world none of that applies.

Its quite easy for a prospective employee to not see beyond the disability, give the job to someone else and let you down gently as "not being the best candidate for the job".

Its your word against theirs.
Reply 9
Original post by RA3
And in the real world none of that applies.

Its quite easy for a prospective employee to not see beyond the disability, give the job to someone else and let you down gently as "not being the best candidate for the job".

Its your word against theirs.

This is something I am concerned about. I didn't get the job in the end. The feedback I revived was that I have extensive experience and I interwieved well but they wanted to go with a more rounded candidate.
many companies allow the interview to go ahead and take information from an applicant n order to better their business, therefore some companies will use your information to help better a way of understanding how to comply with the disability act and move forward to become a more helpful towards a wider variety clientèle of people that are willing to work whom are troubled by disability. Finding work is never easy, but perseverance pays off, so keep going and show your strengths through the life you lead..

Latest