The Student Room Group

English Lit Exam!

could someone help me
i am doing the AQA paper and you get an extract from the novel to write about
but should i base my answer just on the extract or bring in other things relating to the question too?
Thanks
It is good to show some contextual knowledge but NEVER make a point that is not directly backed up by a word / phrase in the extract. Which novel are you doing? If you are doing To Kill a Mockingbird then I can show you how to answer the extract question.
Reply 2
Original post by Umackjiggles
It is good to show some contextual knowledge but NEVER make a point that is not directly backed up by a word / phrase in the extract. Which novel are you doing? If you are doing To Kill a Mockingbird then I can show you how to answer the extract question.

Im doing Of mice and men and An inspector calls
but could you please still show me how to answer the question please?
Here is one of my A* answers (15/15)

How does Lee use details in the passage to present Miss Maudie’s view of Maycomb?

Harper Lee contrasts Miss Maudie’s view of Maycomb with Jem’s to make it seem more accurate and to make Jem’s seem unripe and immature. Lee uses free indirect discourse to highlight the difference in maturity between the two. For example, we are told that Jem’s cake was “half-eaten” suggesting that it, like her perception of Maycomb County, is incomplete and subject to change. This is reinforced by Miss Maudie’s statement “you are not old enough to appreciate what I said” which Lee uses to develop a definite maturity between the two and thus reflects Miss Maudie’s view of Maycomb. In doing so Miss Maudie’s view is presented as being both cynical and enlightened.

Miss Maudie’s repetition of the personal pronoun “we” when she is talking about the citizens of Maycomb suggests that she has a strong sense of community and loyalty to Maycomb County. Miss Maudie is presented by Lee as having a very experienced view of Maycomb. Jem’s voice “rose” yet Miss Maudie’s response is calm and articulate. In juxtaposing Jem’s fit of anger with Miss Maudie’s calm manner and elocution, Lee presents Miss Maudie as being certain and in absolute conviction with regards to the reality of the situation. In doing so, Miss Maudie is presented as understanding that things in Maycomb are not as clear cut as Jem would like them to be.

Miss Maudie’s views are given credibility by the interjection of “Old” Scout and her comments. By stating that “This was a thought” Lee, using Scout as a mouthpiece through which she can accurately portray the integrity of Miss Maudie, suggests that Miss Maudie is enlightened in her way of thinking in a similar way to Old, mature Scout. Their views are neatly intertwined and thus we place faith in Miss Maudie’s statements.

Finally, Miss Maudie is presented as being in conflict with herself with regards to her thoughts on Maycomb County. An example of this is when Lee contrasts the racism of the community, that we already understand given this passage is immediately after the trial of Tom Robinson, with Miss Maudie’s desire for change. Lee again uses the personal pronoun “we” to remind us that Miss Maudie considers herself to be part of the Maycomb community while at the same time suggesting that she wants things to change in Maycomb. Although the step is “just a baby step” Lee expresses her hope for change with the phrase “but it’s a step”. This phrase is intended to shock the reader as it suggests that it took the cold, brutal murder of an innocent man to bring about a “baby-step” in the advancement of equal racial rights in Maycomb. So abhorrent is this statement that it shows us the extent to which racism was ingrained within the foundations of Maycomb County and Lee suggests that Miss Maudie wants that to change. In doing so, Lee presents Miss Maudie as having some insecurities with regards to Maycomb County’s stance on racism and, indeed, its endorsement.

I did this essay in about 15-20 minutes and then typed it up a while ago. Notice I always refer back to the text in some way or another.
Reply 4
Original post by aran09
could someone help me
i am doing the AQA paper and you get an extract from the novel to write about
but should i base my answer just on the extract or bring in other things relating to the question too?
Thanks

im doing of mice and men and an inspector calls too

isn't part b ususally about the whole novel, while part a focuses on a single extract? well, i haven't done any past papers and thats probably stupid of me but i'd say focus more on the extract, and bring in a little bit of the novel, but more about the themes that are reflected in the extract and what other times it happens in the novel. but dont get too sidetracked and focus on the extract and the theme it reperesents, thats what id say. for part b it would be a lot easier because you can talk about the whole novel and there is so much in it that you can use.

remember to embed a lot of quotations and use good language and stuff like the inspector is prietley's authorial voice. good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sammy95
im doing of mice and men and an inspector calls too

isn't part b ususally about the whole novel, while part a focuses on a single extract? well, i haven't done any past papers and thats probably stupid of me but i'd say focus more on the extract, and bring in a little bit of the novel, but more about the themes that are reflected in the extract and what other times it happens in the novel. but dont get too sidetracked and focus on the extract and the theme it reperesents, thats what id say. for part b it would be a lot easier because you can talk about the whole novel and there is so much in it that you can use.

remember to embed a lot of quotations and use good language and stuff like the inspector is prietley's authorial voice. good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help
do you have any good revision notes or anything for any of the 2 Novel/play
Reply 6
Original post by aran09
Thank you for your help

i suggest you go here, this person's put a lot of stuff up for of mice and men and its reall good :smile: i find inspector calls easier, i have some essays i did ages ago, but not on all the characters. would you like them for revision? they were about A grade
Reply 7
Original post by aran09
Thank you for your help

actually, i just read in the cgp book it said you should only talk about the extract and nothing else. sorry about that lol
Reply 8
I'm doing exactly the same as you this tuesday- for part a you just write about the extract, focusing on the language and symbolism used. Then in part b you write about the whole of the novel, and in this part of the question its crucial to use context as it is that which you will get the marks for.

hope that helps- good luck :smile:
Does anyone know how to revise short stories for an english lit exam?
In section B if you just write about the extract mainly one or two quotes from else where and a bit of contextual knowledge like the Wall street crash can you get a good mark, or does it all have to from from else where in the novel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending