The Student Room Group

North/South Divide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think a lot of northerners hate southerners but southerners dont hate northerners as much.

I think its partly due to a southerners being the dominant population when it comes to universities. Southerners are a dominant force in a lot of universities around the UK. Every other student in Manchester seems to be from London!

Another reason I think is because quite of a lot of southerners have a sense of elitism when they come over to the North. They may be oblivious to the way they're behaving but its very noticeable from a 'non-southerner' in terms of the way they speak and act towards northerners and the north.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm from the Midland, so we're just in the middle. :biggrin:
I find as soon as you pass south of Leamington Spa there's increased levels of both snobbery and bellendary.
Reply 23
Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo
I find as soon as you pass south of Leamington Spa there's increased levels of both snobbery and bellendary.

LOL there is an element of truth in that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
further to my previous post on here, it turns out that the south do like a bit of northern charm! :cool:
Original post by Stevo112

But yea, the northerners seem to be so much friendlier! Spending some time recently in and around london you really do see the difference between north and south people. I was walking near euston station the other day and there was a bloke who looked either dead or comatose (he wasn't visibly breathing) just lying on the grass in the public. I stopped to try and spot if he was breathing and must have clocked about 15 southerners who simply ignored this poor bloke! I went over to check him and he was actually breathing so just rang the police. Still though, londoners suck! For all the bad things I could name about liverpool I could never criticize the normal average joe who would help out their fellow man without question which happens a lot on a daily basis around here.

Bystander effect, nothing out of the ordinary for somewhere very crowded like Euston station. Londoner here, I really don't get this stereotype that we're somehow much less friendly than our northern counterparts. I've been to other cities (Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc) and I don't get any real sense that people there act more warmly towards me, they just behave as you'd expect from a stranger passing by, and this is no different from London.
Original post by internet tough guy
Bystander effect, nothing out of the ordinary for somewhere very crowded like Euston station. Londoner here, I really don't get this stereotype that we're somehow much less friendly than our northern counterparts. I've been to other cities (Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, etc) and I don't get any real sense that people there act more warmly towards me, they just behave as you'd expect from a stranger passing by, and this is no different from London.

my friend did a test and asked 20 people in london directions

5 told him to get a map
7 just walked past him
4 walked past telling him to **** off (or some alternative)
only 4 gave him directions

compared to when he he got a londoner who was visiting liverpool to do where he got 18 helpful replies

also Birmingham, Sheffield and Nottingham are not the north
Reply 27

If there was a guy lying near Liverpool Lime Street potentially dead then;

1. He would be clocked fairly quickly by a member of public and thus helped (even if we are simply talking a 999 call)

2. The police would probably clock him before number 1 happens because there is a significant police presence in the area

As apposed to some potentially dead guy outside Euston station whereby about 15 Londoners walked straight past him (only about half even looked!). I don't want to blow my own trumpet but a northerner called the police on the premise of making sure he was ok. The very first time I went to London was to meet an ex who was a Londoner. They told me off because I bought some tramp a McD meal (this woman approached me asking to eat my leftover fries). It was how I was brought up! From my experience of living in Liverpool you will come across some of the scattiest people on the planet (druggies etc) but they are more inclined to help out a stranger because that is how they were brought up! I work in a bookies and I regularly see some of these degenerative people. You get the usually ***** dicks, but you kinda find out that even people who lose thousands a week and probably resent you for doing your job STILL would help you out in a time of need! That is the northern way, generally!

I think the normal rules of stranger interactions apply in northern and southern towns though, however I would much rather collapse in Liverpool than London because I would trust scousers more to actually help me out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Haha...there is a bit of banter...i am from Hull which is firmly in the north, and i can tell you the banter goes both ways, and that many northerners look down at the south as been soft, and i think you will mainly find that Northerners are more proud of their roots then people from the South. Most talk is in jest on both sides, and it is fun, and meant in good spirits, though i do know what you mean about people down south not really knowing the geography of their own country.

The North is a lot more tribal then the South, as we have your Geordies, Mackams, Tykes, Mancs, Scousers etc, and i think that a lot of Southerners look down their noses at our various accents, and i think that is due to the class system, but i wouldn't swap my northern identity for anything.
Original post by venenecinema
I am from the south and I think that it's often joked about in good spirit, and I have definitely heard the term "southern softy" thrown around a bit

Yea. Set of fairies.
Original post by kopite493

5 told him to get a map
7 just walked past him

compared to when he he got a londoner who was visiting liverpool to do where he got 18 helpful replies

Japanese people are best at this. You ask them if they know where something is and they get out a map and spend 5 minutes trying to find it for you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
If there was a guy lying near Liverpool Lime Street potentially dead then;

1. He would be clocked fairly quickly by a member of public and thus helped (even if we are simply talking a 999 call)

2. The police would probably clock him before number 1 happens because there is a significant police presence in the area

As apposed to some potentially dead guy outside Euston station whereby about 15 Londoners walked straight past him (only about half even looked!). I don't want to blow my own trumpet but a northerner called the police on the premise of making sure he was ok. The very first time I went to London was to meet an ex who was a Londoner. They told me off because I bought some tramp a McD meal (this woman approached me asking to eat my leftover fries). It was how I was brought up! From my experience of living in Liverpool you will come across some of the scattiest people on the planet (druggies etc) but they are more inclined to help out a stranger because that is how they were brought up! I work in a bookies and I regularly see some of these degenerative people. You get the usually ***** dicks, but you kinda find out that even people who lose thousands a week and probably resent you for doing your job STILL would help you out in a time of need! That is the northern way, generally!

I think the normal rules of stranger interactions apply in northern and southern towns though, however I would much rather collapse in Liverpool than London because I would trust scousers more to actually help me out.

Well I don't know, maybe because the centre of London (espicially at major stations) is where large numbers of people from all sorts of different background converge, there is a lost of human touch like you would get from tight knit communities. But I've definitely seen acts of compassion in London myself, maybe not in the very central and crowded areas like Euston (I rarely go there anyway), but in most other parts of London, I'm sure people would behave similarly to those in other parts of the country.
Original post by kopite493

5 told him to get a map
7 just walked past him

I think the fact that London is a very complex and large city compared to those other ones you've listed, has some effect on your friend's results. I've lived in London all my life and I still wouldn't be able to give directions to about half of the major landmarks if I was suddenly placed in Heathrow airport to greet visitors.

Btw, I'd say Sheffield counts as 'north'. Besides I've been to Newcastle as well.
I think the fact that London is a very complex and large city compared to those other ones you've listed, has some effect on your friend's results. I've lived in London all my life and I still wouldn't be able to give directions to about half of the major landmarks if I was suddenly placed in Heathrow airport to greet visitors.

Btw, I'd say Sheffield counts as 'north'. Besides I've been to Newcastle as well.

its not about that ists about the attitude of it

it werent no im sorry youll need a map it was not my problem go get amap
its quiet/cultured and collective.
nothing wrong with that.
Southern and proud. :u:

Hey I have the Olympics! :tongue: 2012 ftw!
Reply 36
I have to travel through London when I go to and from University (always carrying obscenely heavy luggage) and bearing in mind I am a 5'2, 98lb girl struggling with my giant suitcase, not a single Londoner has EVER offered to help me out with it up and down stairs.

I understand of course that a lot of people are busy and rushing to a from places, however bearing in mind I must have done this journey about 40 times now, you'd think someone would have offered at least once! When I get to the station in Nottingham I would say 7 times out of 10 someone will offer to help.

I even fell over on the stairs in London once, flat on my arse, not a single person offered to help me up and one man even stepped over me. Truly lovely people, Londoners...
Reply 37
i don't hate southerners, i do hate there inability to drink though, every-time i want a decent drink i have to go back up north cause people down south have like 8 drinks and there ****ed

i find this is like 95% of southerners im sure there's a few who can drink i just have yet to meet any

This doesn't help a southerner's view of northerners...

and how many of the opinionated people in this thread have actually been to different places? (in different areas of the country as well as different social/economic areas)
(edited 11 years ago)
And Londoners have the gall to think London is the best place in the world lol
Reply 39
Original post by fuzznbass
And Londoners have the gall to think London is the best place in the world lol

It's survival of the fittest in London lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending