Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why is the UK's monarch so famous?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Title asks it all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as it was once in command of like half the world, i'm not surprised (the commonwealth)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The British Empire and the Commonwealth.

She's very famous in the Commonwealth for obvious reasons. I wouldn't have thought she'd be as well known or respected in other countries.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)
    Seeing as it was once in command of like half the world, i'm not surprised (the commonwealth)
    I see.

I love the Queen. Don't you just want to put her in your pocket, take her home and snuggle her?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I see.

I love the Queen. Don't you just want to put her in your pocket, take her home and snuggle her?
    Haha interesting way to put it, but i guess she is quite amazing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Partly because of the Empire and Commonwealth. Partly because there aren't that many monarchies left, and Britain's the most powerful country in the world that still has one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Partly because of the Empire and Commonwealth. Partly because there aren't that many monarchies left, and Britain's the most powerful country in the world that still has one.
    What about Japan? It has an Emperor I believe. Although Japan doesn't have nukes and its military is for defence only, its larger economy, population and productive potential make it arguably a more powerful country than the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imagine a supermodel. Now imagine thousands of them. They all look awesome and loads of girls look up to them, but there is nothing unique about them. They all look the same. But what if one of these supermodels had an ugly pus-filled pimple on her face that stuck out like a sore thumb? Ah but then everyone would then be very curious and very interested.

Well Britain is that supermodel and the Queen is that pimple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait until we get rid of the monarchy.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Queen having reigned for 60 years and going to many countries in and out of the Commonwealth is a contributor.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSEED)
    I can't wait until we get rid of the monarchy.
    In your dreams kido.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChampEon)
    Imagine a supermodel. Now imagine thousands of them. They all look awesome and loads of girls look up to them, but there is nothing unique about them. They all look the same. But what if one of these supermodels had an ugly pus-filled pimple on her face that stuck out like a sore thumb? Ah but then everyone would then be very curious and very interested.

Well Britain is that supermodel and the Queen is that pimple.
    I don't understand the analogy.

The reason our monarch is so famous is because of the British empire/commonwealth, as far as I'm aware.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought probably cause they're about the only ones left?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burning-ape)
    I don't understand the analogy.

The reason our monarch is so famous is because of the British empire/commonwealth, as far as I'm aware.
    Our monarch is famous because the majority of popular developed countries don't have a monarch.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    probably because of the great british empire and disney princess.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    What about Japan? It has an Emperor I believe. Although Japan doesn't have nukes and its military is for defence only, its larger economy, population and productive potential make it arguably a more powerful country than the UK.
    Have to admit I didn't think of Japan, but nevertheless I'd still say the UK was more powerful. Japan, being right next door to China, doesn't have that much influence in the region, not when compared to Britain's (limited) role in Europe. The Japanese economy may be larger than Britain, but it's also stagnating and is largely dependent on American support. Britain has stronger armed forces, plays a far more active role in international relations, and is arguably more stable, so it's hard to see how it could be outdone by Japan.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h2shin)
    I thought probably cause they're about the only ones left?
    What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...chs_by_country
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    haha... but look at the monarch in each of those countries :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h2shin)
    haha... but look at the monarch in each of those countries :P
    Yeah fair enough But even if you don't count all the Commonwealth countries, there's still about 20 other monarchs left.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    Yeah fair enough But even if you don't count all the Commonwealth countries, there's still about 20 other monarchs left.
    I don't really know much about this

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.