The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking to do a volunteer course this summer. One of the main objectives is to teach English. However at only 17, I have no qualification to show my ability in this area. Is it worth doing the TEFL online course to give me an extra edge? Or is there some other way of showing that I would be more suited for this project than others of my age?
Reply 41
Hey
I'm wondering whether to do a CELTA or TELF course within the next two months but I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job after all I don't have any experience in teaching nor a university degree, just a level 3 diploma from college. So if you could give me an insight about how it all works and if I should even consider paying for the course.
Thank you.
Reply 42
Well, it all boils down to a few things. If you're planning on teaching English as a lifelong career, a CELTA is an OK option that can be built on with experience and higher qualifications. But, the CELTA isn't that amazing; most teachers with 2-3 years under their belt would have outgrown the CELTA already. I always see people talking about the CELTA like it's the Holy Grail.

I have been living in Asia for over 10 years and have a couple relatively successful language training centers in Beijing operating since 2007. I'd much rather recruit a teacher with a TEFL and 1-2 years real experience, than hire a fresh out CELTA grad. It's not too difficult to find TEFL courses online for under $300 (I recommend my teachers take a course at mytefl.net because they give us an institutional discount, and my newer teachers generally perform much better after completing it), whereas the CELTA is easily $1600+ and a much longer time commitment.

From a practical viewpoint? Get a TEFL, and go get some real world experience (plenty of schools are willing to take you on and train you at lower wages intern style; you'll still live fine in Asia). You'll save a ton upfront, be earning a salary within a few months, getting actual experience that counts for much more, and will beat the 'CELTA' curve within 1-2 years if you stick with it. Also, many people are NOT cut out to be teachers and may dislike it very quickly. There goes your $1600 + 9 months work. With a TEFL, you've less to lose if it turns out teaching is not your cup of tea.
45 pounds seems pretty low to me.

<a style="color:colonhash:fff;" href="http://wikipediamaze.com/wiki/ESL">Wikipedia</a> was referenced that the courses start at 300.
Reply 44
A CELTA can be completed in a month. Doesn't need to take 9.
He There,

Well TEFL Training is a bit of a minefield. I am TEFL Trained - 20 hour intensive weekend - plus 150 hour online. fortunately I am also a graduate in Psychology (Psychologist) which helped. My advise is to take any online TEFL course , but get some intensive hands on training cheap as well.

It is always best to read up on lesson planning, managing behaviour and looking at as many ESL Videos as you can. You have to be organised. You will only be ready to teach after you have been at a school abroad no matter what TELF course you have taken.

I have worked in Europe and Asia and the best teachers are those who have updated themselves on grammar, lesson planning (it is a most) and can manage a group of children/young adults/ adults and be confident. Planning, Planning and bags of confidence gets you everywhere. If you do not really to teach and have no passion for it just do not go TEFLing.

Over time it becomes a piece of cake. TEFL regardless is just a piece of paper . Having passion , being prepared and being confident regardless will get you everywhere.

Fake it until you make it is a good attitude to have (fake the confidence I mean)

Joseph
I have been thinking about doing a TEFL course for while now and they just seem to be very intense with a lot of work involved. If I don't need a TEFL certificate how to I go about getting work as a English Teacher say in Thailand or Cambodia or Laos, I would like to work in that part of the would, so any suggestions would be really welcome.
Thank you.
Graham.
Reply 47
Original post by jodiegrant
I did this course and found it quite fine indeed. I&#39;ve been accepted to teach in Shenzhen, right next to HongKong. The course was totally online yes, however provided me with solid theory that now i&#39;ll put into practice. My confidence couldn&#39;t be higher - really excited, bit worried about the humidity though! :smile:

Hey I&#39;m a newbie here - how are you finding Shenzhen so far?

If anyone else is interested in teaching in public school in Shenzhen, I am able to help find a good there.

Happy to answer and questions or help someone to apply!
Reply 48
I know Tefl 247 is a big scam.They sell the course on groupon for 29 pounds and then they deliberately fail you several times so that you continue to pay for the corse extension 9.95 every time.You cannot pass because they deliberately fail you even though you have answered all questions correctly.
Reply 49
Original post by Graham Parker
I have been thinking about doing a TEFL course for while now and they just seem to be very intense with a lot of work involved. If I don't need a TEFL certificate how to I go about getting work as a English Teacher say in Thailand or Cambodia or Laos, I would like to work in that part of the would, so any suggestions would be really welcome.
Thank you.
Graham.

I know Tefl 247 is a big scam.They sell the course on groupon for 29 pounds and then they deliberately fail you several times so that you continue to pay for the corse extension 9.95 every time.You cannot pass because they deliberately fail you even though you have answered all questions correctly.
Reply 50
Original post by elliestrang
I'm looking to do a volunteer course this summer. One of the main objectives is to teach English. However at only 17, I have no qualification to show my ability in this area. Is it worth doing the TEFL online course to give me an extra edge? Or is there some other way of showing that I would be more suited for this project than others of my age?

Reply 51
Hi

I don't have any uni qualifications and I want to do a TEFL course and teach somewhere in Europe, would that be possible seen as I don't have any qualifications?
Reply 52
Hi, could you provide a link to the course you did online
Reply 53
I can vouch for the CELTA as i have done it and never had any problem finding a job. The quality of the course is excellent and tefl courses are really only accepted in a minority of places.

I think a degree is the bare minimum needed to teach. Places that will take you on with no degree are like gold dust. they are laxer in asia and strict in europe i believe.
Reply 54
Hi my name is Daniel. I hope you can help. I am from the UK and my wife is from Vietnam. We have been married for 2 years now. We have tried living in the UK and are now currently living in Dubai. We have decided that teaching in Vietnam is our preferred option. I do not have a degree but I have been teaching people to drive for over 10 years. My question is what are my chances of teaching in Vietnam. Shall I do a TEFL online course? I'm in Dubai so I can't do the classroom sessions unless there in vietnam. Will my marriage to a Vietnamese girl by pass my need for a degree for visa purposes or does the marriage not help us at all? We're thinking of flying to Vietnam next week to start a new life there. Is it too risky or do you think it could work. I am very good with people and interviews but will the legal side hold me back? Hope you can help. Our legal agency is shut down as it's the Vietnamese holidays right now so we can't ask them for advice. I hope someone can help with some advice.
Reply 55
Original post by Dan22203
Hi my name is Daniel. I hope you can help. I am from the UK and my wife is from Vietnam. We have been married for 2 years now. We have tried living in the UK and are now currently living in Dubai. We have decided that teaching in Vietnam is our preferred option. I do not have a degree but I have been teaching people to drive for over 10 years. My question is what are my chances of teaching in Vietnam. Shall I do a TEFL online course? I'm in Dubai so I can't do the classroom sessions unless there in vietnam. Will my marriage to a Vietnamese girl by pass my need for a degree for visa purposes or does the marriage not help us at all? We're thinking of flying to Vietnam next week to start a new life there. Is it too risky or do you think it could work. I am very good with people and interviews but will the legal side hold me back? Hope you can help. Our legal agency is shut down as it's the Vietnamese holidays right now so we can't ask them for advice. I hope someone can help with some advice.

The degree requirement isn't always to do with the visa requirements but is just the preference of the employer and students.

The online course wouldn't give you as much cache as the CELTA or Trinity and I would strongly advise looking into those.
Reply 56
Thank you for your prompt reply. Is it possible to do the celta or trinity whilst in Vietnam?

Does my marriage status help us with a work visa?
Reply 57
I would steer you towards TEFL.com to get some advice. I don't know visas unfortunately so I can't help you out there.
Original post by Procerus
How long does the application process take? for example if I applied tomorrow how many weeks/months until I get on a plane?

Are you white with a British or American passport with a degree from anywhere in anything? You can probably get a job and fly in two weeks. If you are already in Taiwan right now, for example, you can probably get a job within days.

If you hold a different passport, but still from a white country or South Africa, it'd take you longer but still should be pretty easy. If you're not white it probably will get more difficult. If you don't have a degree you will need to be white and hold a passport from an English-speaking white country.

The application 'process' involves only you dropping an email to someone.
Original post by standreams
This is fair enough from your East-Asian perspective- it is generally known that a CELTA is barely ever a requirement for any positions in that part of the world. But the same is simply not true for many other regions of the world.

Whilst at the same time, in many other regions of the world, a CELTA is simply insufficient to get you a decent job.

Latest

Trending

Trending