Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My brother's Facebook account was hacked

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My brother's Facebook account has been hacked, this person keeps changing his passwords when he tries to reset them and has apparently been sending all his friends really nasty messages. My brother has also told me that he knows where we live and who our dad is. He said he's sure it must be someone he knows if they know where we live but this person supposedly lives in a completely different area of the country.

What should we do? I don't want this freak coming to our house. He said he wants to call the police if he sends anymore messages but I don't know if they will care.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    IT is exactly for this reason that I have quit using (thats not completely true, I check it once a month for whats happening with my real friends who live on the other side of the UK). For what its worth, yes is a good tool to use, but if you post to much of your own details then what do you expect ?
    Facetwit
    IN the situation that you are in, I would suggest that you talk to the police under grounds of harassment. YES they do take this kind of thing seriously (a girl from My college was given a caution for hacking an MSN account). It really doesn't matter where the hacking offences are being done, at the end of the day it is Fraud. But my advice would be contact the police, they will shut down your Facebook account. Has your brother emailed Facebook about getting the account blocked, or at least restricted about where he can login from?

Learn your lesson from this. Don't post to much private and personal information online about yourself. Although 1000 friends is a 'cool' thing to have, thats 1000 people who know allot of information about you! Good example about why facetwit; I think will no longer exist in 10 years time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon12)
    Has your brother emailed Facebook about getting the account blocked, or at least restricted about where he can login from?.
    I don't think he has, I think he may have deactivated his account for now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could you maybe change your email address' password? If they can't get into your email address I don't think they can reset the facebook password. If it's too far for that then I suggest telling your dad and letting him call the police, especially if you think this person knows where you live. They should take it seriously because it could be dangerous.

I suggest making a whole new email address altogether, and creating a new facebook off of that, and also reporting the old facebook that's been hacked. Hope I helped x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheer)
    Could you maybe change your email address' password? If they can't get into your email address I don't think they can reset the facebook password.
    I'm starting to think maybe his PC is infected with a keylogger, which could be how this person is getting at my brother's passwords so easily.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Report to facebook and the police if you deem it severe enough. If it is creating genuine problems for your brother and is more than a schoolyard prank then they will take it seriously. I'm pretty sure cyberbullying is a crime that you can now be sent to jail for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    contact facebook telling them there is a problem, and contact the cyber police - they can back trace it to the ip adress if not the actual computer, so find out who it is, and they can also see if you have someone intercepting information you send over the internet/ keylogger.

i hope it gets sorted soon and keep us updated
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    My brother's Facebook account has been hacked
    You kids today :rolleyes:

Either it's a keylogger, or his password is easy enough to brute force. Keylogger is a longshot though. I'd suggest starting a new email account + facebook page. Come up with a good password too, no family names or dates.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    You kids today :rolleyes:

Either it's a keylogger, or his password is easy enough to brute force. Keylogger is a longshot though. I'd suggest starting a new email account + facebook page. Come up with a good password too, no family names or dates.
    I honestly wonder if people actually know what hacking and cracking are these days, or whether they honestly believe guessing a password counts as 'hacking'.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I honestly wonder if people actually know what hacking and cracking are these days, or whether they honestly believe guessing a password counts as 'hacking'.
    I have exactly the same worries. I'd worry about sounding like an e-snob, but if they're using the jargon, at least use it correctly :rolleyes:

Also your avatar is V - yes :yep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.