The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
That's what i meant, sorry!

Ahh right, it does feel strange and uncomfortable in the sense of what they do lol. But just try and not get tensed up, just try and put your mind on something else :smile:
Are they allowed to do it if you're a virgin do you know?
Reply 62
Original post by pineapple86
Ahh right, it does feel strange and uncomfortable in the sense of what they do lol. But just try and not get tensed up, just try and put your mind on something else :smile:

Wait a minute...is the PCOS ultrasound internal?
It can be either, i've had 1 on my tummy and i'm about to have an internal one
Original post by Airfairy
Wait a minute...is the PCOS ultrasound internal?

It can be either but when i had mine done they said they get a better view doing an internal one.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

I dont have a clue, but i dont see why it would affect getting it done

They are allowed but they usually just do the abdominal one in that case.
Hey, I had a blood test recently that indicated that I have PCOS. In two weeks I will be going in for my ovarian scan.

I am 21 and for me personally, it has been an INCREDIBLE relief to be diagnosed with PCOS. I have always wondered why I am so prone to weight gain, get fatigued easily and have so always had so much excess hair.

My symptoms are mild-ish, I would say. I'm not naturally overweight but I have always been the type to have to watch what I eat as I am so sensitive to weight gain. I have more facial hair than the average girl which I combat with full face waxes every three weeks. But the main thing I want to kick away is tiredness. I get exhausted so easily, I really want to get my energy levels up.

I'm finding cutting out carbohydrates so difficult to stick to. Bread and pasta are staples of a diet, I'm finding the low carb diet really restrictive and monotonous. But I can really notice my energy level sink when I eat these kind of foods. I think, because I'm not overweight anyway (I'm size 10-12) I'm really finding it hard to have the motivation to cut everything out.

If anyone would like to talk more or have someone to relate to, please message me. I currently don't know of anyone else with PCOS it would be great to talk to someone!
So grateful to have found this thread. I was diagnosed last year (16, will be 18 in a few weeks) after a blood test and an external ultra-sound; I originally went to the doctor because I had about 2-3 periods at 13 then they stopped completely so 3 years later my mum decided that it was getting ridiculous and figured something must be wrong.

I had acne for a few years that was pretty bad but my GP put me on the pill which got rid of it and mean that I now get regular periods as it is unhealthy to not get them.

Weight gain is my biggest issue at the moment. I find it so hard to lose weight and I've tried a lot of different diets. I most recently tried low-carb diet but I am vegetarian and a lot of the pretend meat products such as Quorn and supermarket-own-brand products have carbs in them so it did not really make a lot of difference after about 6 weeks where I found I'd only lost like 3 lbs which really wasn't worth it as bread/rice/pasta are staples to my diet.

I've also gone for the low-GI diet too although this made no difference as I tend to eat wholemeal bread and pasta anyway and so it was not really any different for me.

It really sucks too, because I have always been that kid with a brown-bread sandwich, fruit, yoghurt and snack-a-jacks for a treat in their lunch-box instead of crisps and chocolate that my skinny friends all pigged out on every day, yet I have always been the larger one.

Does anyone have any advice for losing weight that worked really well for them? Advice from a vegetarian would be especially helpful but I am happy to talk to you if you want to know about my experience/advice or want to give me advice etc.

Feel free to message me :smile:

Also, does anyone else get pain in that ovary-ish area? I sometimes get pain there, sort of my lower stomach but my doctor said that you don't get pain from PCOS so I am wondering if it was something else? I don't get it so often anymore.
Reply 69
Original post by glittery snails
Also, does anyone else get pain in that ovary-ish area? I sometimes get pain there, sort of my lower stomach but my doctor said that you don't get pain from PCOS so I am wondering if it was something else? I don't get it so often anymore.

Heya, just to let you know i got diagnosed with PCOS through having tummy pains in my lower stomach area so it does cause pain.

Im getting it pretty constantly atm after it going away for a while, back to the doctors for me :frown:
Been diagnosed with PCOS today, if anyone's got any really useful tips like shifting the weight and just dealing with the stuff it brings i'd really appreciate it. I am glad i've got some answers to the symptoms now though.
Original post by EmmyLauren
Been diagnosed with PCOS today, if anyone's got any really useful tips like shifting the weight and just dealing with the stuff it brings i'd really appreciate it. I am glad i've got some answers to the symptoms now though.

Ive posted about how i finally managed to start shifting my weight and how i deal with the side effects. Its tough but it can be done.

Ive posted about how i finally managed to start shifting my weight and how i deal with the side effects. Its tough but it can be done.

Okay, thanks, i'll go look at that :smile:

(My first reply was anonymous by accident)
(My first reply was anonymous by accident)

No probs :smile: its taken me 9 years to find something to help me lose weight but im happy ive found something that works for me. Its tough to get used to the side effects and in fact i went to a beauty salon today and got my whole face threaded (instead of waxed) so i feel good. I sometimes treat myself to getting it done by someone else cos i get annoyed about doing it myself sometimes.

No probs :smile: its taken me 9 years to find something to help me lose weight but im happy ive found something that works for me. Its tough to get used to the side effects and in fact i went to a beauty salon today and got my whole face threaded (instead of waxed) so i feel good. I sometimes treat myself to getting it done by someone else cos i get annoyed about doing it myself sometimes.

I know i absolutely hate doing it by myself, the pain and so time consuming :frown: But i feel SO much better after. I'm glad you've found somewhat of a solution though and are willing to share it with us!
I know i absolutely hate doing it by myself, the pain and so time consuming :frown: But i feel SO much better after. I'm glad you've found somewhat of a solution though and are willing to share it with us!

I dont mind talking about it :-)

Reply 77
Original post by BexiG

For me personally I've found ridding my body of unnatural hormones and changing my diet has helped my body do what it's supposed to do.

This has worked for me. I don't want to go back on the pill ever. I was on it before and when I finally came off I wasn't able to have normal/natural periods, because my body was so used to having the pill 'cause' them...if that makes sense!

I have the extreme tiredness too, I could fall asleep right now if I let myself! :rolleyes:

I get spots but wouldn't describe it as acne or very severe skin issues, however I do have rosacea, but so far I haven't found a link between that and PCOS at all.

I need to lose weight - which is happening very, very slowly despite exercise and my usual good healthy diet. To whoever said they were the kid with the healthy lunchbox - that was me too! I was always eating well as a kid and have never had a bad diet, but hey, I'm fat now (mostly around the waist!)!!

Does anyone get depression with PCOS? Some people get depressed over having it, but some say you're more inclined to be depressed because of all the hormones going mad.
Original post by orchid
This has worked for me. I don't want to go back on the pill ever. I was on it before and when I finally came off I wasn't able to have normal/natural periods, because my body was so used to having the pill 'cause' them...if that makes sense!

I have the extreme tiredness too, I could fall asleep right now if I let myself! :rolleyes:

I get spots but wouldn't describe it as acne or very severe skin issues, however I do have rosacea, but so far I haven't found a link between that and PCOS at all.

I need to lose weight - which is happening very, very slowly despite exercise and my usual good healthy diet. To whoever said they were the kid with the healthy lunchbox - that was me too! I was always eating well as a kid and have never had a bad diet, but hey, I'm fat now (mostly around the waist!)!!

Does anyone get depression with PCOS? Some people get depressed over having it, but some say you're more inclined to be depressed because of all the hormones going mad.

I had depression before i realised i had pcos and still have it and this contributes a bit to it as well.

Reply 79
Original post by orchid

Sometimes having it makes me feel depressed

I get scared that coming off the pill will mean that i will get more symptoms such as excess hair, more pain and excess weight, so i get very scared and upset about that sometimes. As eventually i will have to come off the pill - cant stay on it forever.
My biggest fear is that is will stop me having children :frown: I really dont know how i would deal with finding out i definatly couldnt have them. Made worse by the fact that the only other person i actually know with it cannot have children. :frown:
Sometimes i feel so sorry and guilty for being in pain so much and having this affect my wonderfully supportive partner too.

So yes sometimes i do break down and have a good cry about it all and regularly stress about all of it.

Latest