The Student Room Group

£36,000? Really?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by nulli tertius
On the contrary, although salaries at Polys were lower than at universities pre '92 (and didn't the lecturers go on about that) because of the much greater concentration on technical and scientific degrees at Polytechnics the average cost of all courses was much greater.

I don't think that is true, because polytechnics ran a lot of vocational courses they had a much higher utilisation of premises and staff. There was generally less provision for non core activities like sport. It was not unusual to have a full time, part time day, part time evening and block release version of the course running concurrently. Plus they also ran HND and HNC courses alongside the degree courses. A polytechnic lecturer typically had longer terms and shorter breaks. Which allowed less time for research. On a vocational course, it was rare to have small group teaching.

Most traditional universities at the time had limited part time provision and generally smaller intakes.
The statement 'I'm bored' sums you up for me perfectly. Complain that fees are too high and you want to learn because you're bored, that and the fact you got your degree two years ago? This begs the question, why aren't you working your arse off with that degree yet alone going after another degree because you're 'bored'. Grow up.

Really, negs? Deluded person
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by edjunkie
I don't think that is true, because polytechnics ran a lot of vocational courses they had a much higher utilisation of premises and staff. There was generally less provision for non core activities like sport. It was not unusual to have a full time, part time day, part time evening and block release version of the course running concurrently. Plus they also ran HND and HNC courses alongside the degree courses. A polytechnic lecturer typically had longer terms and shorter breaks. Which allowed less time for research. On a vocational course, it was rare to have small group teaching.

Most traditional universities at the time had limited part time provision and generally smaller intakes.

Almost all of what you say is accurate. I was discounting research expenditure entirely and looking solely at teaching. My other quibble is about sport. Many, perhaps most, Polys had a teacher training college in tow, and they were usually pretty obsessive about organised games.

However, the official measure of all of this was the unit of resource. A pre-92 university would have a higher unit of resource (money per head) for the same course than a Poly, but Polys had a greater proportion of courses with higher units of resource. In other words a university engineering course had more money than a Poly engineering course but a greater proportion of Poly courses were engineering than the proportion of university courses that were engineering. Hence I think overall,the average spend per student was higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending