The Student Room Group

How much harder is degree maths compared to A-level

im in year 12 and im pretty certain ill get an A in my A-level maths which should mean im good enough to do a maths degree. however i work very hard and im under the impression that im not good enough. can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by stephenworsley
im in year 12 and im pretty certain ill get an A in my A-level maths which should mean im good enough to do a maths degree. however i work very hard and im under the impression that im not good enough. can anyone help?

Year one in uni is more about easing you in. I found it easier than A levels by the amount of work that was given. But this varies by degree. FYI my degree was Civil Engineering.
Reply 2
Original post by marsman13
Year one in uni is more about easing you in. I found it easier than A levels by the amount of work that was given. But this varies by degree. FYI my degree was Civil Engineering.

thanks for thr reply and if you dont mine be acting was the civil engineering like and what A-level did you do to get on the course. im asking this because im interested in doing civil engineering too but some teachers have said you need physics which i dont do, but the entry requirement dont ask for it.
Reply 3
Original post by marsman13

thanks for thr reply and if you dont mine be acting was the civil engineering like and what A-level did you do to get on the course. im asking this because im interested in doing civil engineering too but some teachers have said you need physics which i dont do, but the entry requirement dont ask for it.
Reply 4

As marsman13 said, first year is very much getting everyone to the same level as everyone will have done different exam boards at A-Level, so don't worry that you won't be good enough as the whole point of the first few modules is to get everyone on a level playing field before the proper degree level stuff arrives. Apparently when you hit second year things start to get pretty difficult, but I still live in ignorant bliss to that knowledge...
It's about π2\pi^2 times as hard, from what I hear.

I thought the same when I was at A levels. I had a tutor and I had to work at maths to understand it. I couldn't just look at it and do it like many of my peers could, and they were going to do degrees like engineering or biomed and they were still better at maths than I was.

Then I went to university. First year was difficult for me because they cover a lot of the more advanced a level content. But for the majority of the other modules we covered new material. And that's where I flourished.

The thing is that most of university level maths is working hard to understand concepts, not trying to do the problem sheets. There's a key difference there.

A lot of people who claim that a level maths was better and they hate uni are people who just sit there and do questions and feel happy when their attempt matches the mark scheme. The people who get firsts are interested in why we do what we do, not doing it. There's a fine line, but if you're on one side of it you'll manage fine.

To be honest even if you hate understanding concepts you can probably still manage a 2:1 regardless, as long as you work hard. It's a much riskier strategy.
Reply 7
just looked at your profile and i'm in a very similar position to you i want to be an architect or structural engineer but at our school we don't have a physic teacher but i didn't know until i started the course in september and found that i was been taught by 2 biologists who didn't have the slightest. so now im looking into accountancy as well.

what uni do you go to and what A levels did you get to go there? if you don't mined me asking that is.

I ask because i chose subject relevant to accounting and i think i've screwed up my chances of going to a Russell group uni
Reply 8

in degree level maths are not very hard to solve it but take it time long,and yes if you do not like physics take computer science or Electronics & comunication
,it is without physics.
just inform you.

Quick Reply

Latest