Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Premier League best in the world?

Announcements Posted on
The Football forum needs another moderator! 19-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreat1)
    if the rest of the league is so crap, how is it that spains "10th best" team beat the english champions and leader (at that time)?
    Doesn't make them any good, upsets do happen

They're an OK team but no better than Everton or Fulham to be honest. Everyone says how quality Llorente, Muniain and Martinez are but Fellaini is better than Martinez, Dempsey is better than Muniain and the overall defences & midfields of both Everton and Fulham are better than Bilbao's.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Doggfather)
    Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, Liverpool (maybe they will be better next year? They've suffered a fall from grace but still capable of beating top teams)

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Valencia and the rest are average. Atletic Bilbao are still vastly overrated, despite their Europa League wins against Man Utd. Newcastle are better than Malaga. Valencia find themselves in no man's land every season (40 points behind Real Madrid) and only occasionally find themselves 2nd in their Champions League group. Sevilla have gone massively downhill compared to their team 5 years ago, so have Villarreal.

Quite a simple decision really, Premier League is superior. La Liga is 2nd.
    Malaga are improving so much, it would be ignorant to pretend they're only average. They will be better than Newcastle soon.

In my opinion;

Real Madrid > Barcelona > Manchester United/Manchester City > Arsenal/Chelsea > Valencia > Tottenham/Atletico Madrid > Bilbao/Newcastle > Malaga/Levante > Liverpool/Sevilla
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Wrong and Wrong.

The Spanish league has so many good teams; better than the premiership.

Look at Bilbao, they smashed Manchester United in the Europa.

Valencia, Bilbao, Malaga, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, and Levante... they're all great sides.

Manchester United and Manchester City only finished 2 points off Barcelona... the reason Madrid got to 100 is because they're one of the greatest squads to ever play football.

Don't try and play it down, the La Liga is brilliant, Madrid just make it look simple.
    Fulham, Everton, Newcastle are arguably better than Malaga, Sevilla, Levante, Bilbao. Valencia are better than Newcastle but not as good as Spurs so they are in between. Malaga is as good as Newcastle but no better.

6th placed Chelsea seriously embarrassed the so called BEST TEAM of the past 30 years in the ultimate cup competition; Barcelona. Not some average 2nd class competition in which English teams have had a poor record in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Malaga are improving so much, it would be ignorant to pretend they're only average. They will be better than Newcastle soon.

In my opinion;

Real Madrid > Barcelona > Manchester United/Manchester City > Arsenal/Chelsea > Valencia > Tottenham/Atletico Madrid > Bilbao/Newcastle > Malaga/Levante > Liverpool/Sevilla
    Malaga are improving but they still need to spend alot this summer to add top young players, they do have quite alot of ageing players.

Real Madrid > Barcelona > Man City/Man Utd > Arsenal/Chelsea > Tottenham > Valencia > Atletico Madrid > Newcastle > Malaga/Bilbao > Liverpool/Sevilla > Levante
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fulham, Everton, Newcastle are arguably better than Malaga, Sevilla, Levante, Bilbao. Valencia are better than Newcastle but not as good as Spurs so they are in between. Malaga is as good as Newcastle but no better.

6th placed Chelsea seriously embarrassed the so called BEST TEAM of the past 30 years in the ultimate cup competition; Barcelona. Not some average 2nd class competition in which English teams have had a poor record in.
    They didn't embarrass them, they got lucky; and played good, and got a result.

and Barcelona aren't the best in the last 30 years, they're the best in the last 5 years. I think the last 20 years goes to Manchester United.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle, Liverpool (maybe they will be better next year? They've suffered a fall from grace but still capable of beating top teams)

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Valencia and the rest are average. Atletic Bilbao are still vastly overrated, despite their Europa League wins against Man Utd. Newcastle are better than Malaga. Valencia find themselves in no man's land every season (40 points behind Real Madrid) and only occasionally find themselves 2nd in their Champions League group. Sevilla have gone massively downhill compared to their team 5 years ago, so have Villarreal.

Quite a simple decision really, Premier League is superior. La Liga is 2nd.
    I laugh at Liverpool. Newcastle had one good season and suddenly you mention them here? They were in championship not too long ago. Chelsea were piss poor this season. Tottenham are a joke, they squandered 3rd place, no top team would have done that. Arsenal were just not good enough. Yea, yea they had a good second game against Milan, but Milan had huge advantage, they werent serious. So Arsenal were good, but by no means anything special. Man City won the PL but could not cut it in the CL. Manu had a very poor season by their standards, also out in the group stages. Then lost to Bilbao. A vastly overrated team.

Until this season, only Manu and Liverpool actually achieved something in Europe. You vastly overrate those teams that end up at the top in the PL.

PL teams dominated late 2000s (3 in the semifinal of 08 was it not?), but not anymore.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I laugh at Liverpool. Newcastle had one good season and suddenly you mention them here? They were in championship not too long ago. Chelsea were piss poor this season. Tottenham are a joke, they squandered 3rd place, no top team would have done that. Arsenal were just not good enough. Yea, yea they had a good second game against Milan, but Milan had huge advantage, they werent serious. So Arsenal were good, but by no means anything special. Man City won the PL but could not cut it in the CL. Manu had a very poor season by their standards, also out in the group stages. Then lost to Bilbao. A vastly overrated team.

Until this season, only Manu and Liverpool actually achieved something in Europe. You vastly overrate those teams that end up at the top in the PL.

PL teams dominated late 2000s (3 in the semifinal of 08 was it not?), but not anymore.
    Whilst I agree with a few of your points, don't jump the gun. City and United will be back this year, and looking to win it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Malaga are improving but they still need to spend alot this summer to add top young players, they do have quite alot of ageing players.

Real Madrid > Barcelona > Man City/Man Utd > Arsenal/Chelsea > Tottenham > Valencia > Atletico Madrid > Newcastle > Malaga/Bilbao > Liverpool/Sevilla > Levante
    Newcastle better than Bilbao?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

and Barcelona aren't the best in the last 30 years, they're the best in the last 5 years. I think the last 20 years goes to Manchester United.
    Ahahahahah.

Paolo Maldini alone won 5 champions league titles with Milan during his playing time which roughly corresponds to the last 20 years.

Manu won it in 1999, but really, Real as the Galacticos dominated around that era. In 2008 and 2009 they were good again. But 2 vs 5 titles, cmon.

The last 20 years in England go to Manu. Don't confuse the two.

Overall it's fair to say Man Utd are the best over a long period of time (in the past 20 years) though.

Seems like you did not read this post of mine before you posted this.

Manu best over a long period of time my ass. 20 years in 90s and 00s. Real, Barca, Milan easily better over whole 20 years. Juventus made it to 4 CL finals over this period same as Bayern made it to 4 winning 1. Manu to 3 winning 2 (both lucky, 2 very late goals and penalties). They are easily on par with Manu over 20 years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Newcastle better than Bilbao?
    Why not?

What's so good about Malaga? They have no decent strikers, all creativity is produced by Cazorla, an overrated, ageing and arguably average defence, average goalkeeper. Sure Toulalan is quality but Newcastle have Tiote who is just as good. Cabaye is quality, they have two sick strikers, Ben Arfa is soon to be as good as Cazorla, 15 cleansheets in the league, Krul is one of the best goalkeepers in the league this season. This is just my opinion, others will disagree, just wondering why others think Malaga is better. KOOL?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

The "piss poor" Chelsea embarrassed Barcelona, Bayern in their backyard, thrashed Napoli, won the FA Cup. They were in poor form before but form is temporary. RDM has propelled them back to where they belong.

Man City got 10 points in their CL group which is usually more than enough to make it to the next round. Unfortunately this year it wasn't, can't say they couldn't cut it in the CL. Doesn't matter that Newcastle were in the Championship not long ago, they have a very good squad and have made many signings in the past 2 years. Milan thrashed Arsenal and Arsenal thrashed Milan, I rate them on par with each other. You say Tottenham squandered 3rd place but what about Villarreal, Sevilla, Bilbao? Villarreal went from CL to relegation, Sevilla went from CL to mid-table club in a year, the overrated Bilbao finished 10th!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Barcelona failed to score at Stamford Bridge
    Barcelona failed to win either game
    Barcelona failed to score more than Chelsea

They played their monotonous side to side passing game and got found out. In the future, Chelsea will be known as the team which collapsed Barcelona's tiki tacki style. There will be a change in the general way football will be played. It happened when Milan thrashed Barcelona in the 1994 CL final and also happened when Celtic ended the catenaccio system in the 1967 European Cup final. It wasn't luck, Chelsea had more determination, desire, belief. Arguably Barcelona's domination has made them the best since Milan of the late 80's or Liverpool of the early 80's.

Overall it's fair to say Man Utd are the best over a long period of time (in the past 20 years) though.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

What's so good about Malaga? They have no decent strikers, all creativity is produced by Cazorla, an overrated, ageing and arguably average defence, average goalkeeper. Sure Toulalan is quality but Newcastle have Tiote who is just as good. Cabaye is quality, they have two sick strikers, Ben Arfa is soon to be as good as Cazorla, 15 cleansheets in the league, Krul is one of the best goalkeepers in the league this season. This is just my opinion, others will disagree, just wondering why others think Malaga is better. KOOL?
    Newcastle are a good side and have bought in some quality players, but do they have anyone as good as Llorente, Javi Martinez or Muniain? They also play very nice football and completely out played us over two legs.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well the prem is slowly turning into La Liga due to the financial resources of some clubs (mentioning no names )

Also, my beloved Arsenal who finished in 3rd place, ended 19 POINTS behind United who were second!!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona failed to score at Stamford Bridge
    Barcelona failed to win either game
    Barcelona failed to score more than Chelsea

They played their monotonous side to side passing game and got found out. In the future, Chelsea will be known as the team which collapsed Barcelona's tiki tacki style. There will be a change in the general way football will be played. It happened when Milan thrashed Barcelona in the 1994 CL final and also happened when Celtic ended the catenaccio system in the 1967 European Cup final. It wasn't luck, Chelsea had more determination, desire, belief. Arguably Barcelona's domination has made them the best since Milan of the late 80's or Liverpool of the early 80's.

Full of rubbish Barca's tiki taka has been nothing like it was the past two seasons too many injuries to forwards and midfielders and even the defenders has caused pep to rotate the formation. I guarentee you next season teams wont be able to collapse in on tiki taka. So teams will now just hope Barca and teams like Bayern and Real miss chances every game right? Wrong the Chelsea game was an exception in which the shooting was piss poor. Desire dont make me laugh it was more down to luck and you know it.

The only thing Chelsea will be known for is being the side that somehow managed to luck their way to the cup.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    The "piss poor" Chelsea embarrassed Barcelona, Bayern in their backyard, thrashed Napoli, won the FA Cup. They were in poor form before but form is temporary. RDM has propelled them back to where they belong.

Man City got 10 points in their CL group which is usually more than enough to make it to the next round. Unfortunately this year it wasn't, can't say they couldn't cut it in the CL. Doesn't matter that Newcastle were in the Championship not long ago, they have a very good squad and have made many signings in the past 2 years. Milan thrashed Arsenal and Arsenal thrashed Milan, I rate them on par with each other. You say Tottenham squandered 3rd place but what about Villarreal, Sevilla, Bilbao? Villarreal went from CL to relegation, Sevilla went from CL to mid-table club in a year, the overrated Bilbao finished 10th!
    How is Bilbao making it to final of EL ending 10th much different than Chelsea ending up 6th?

How is what you said about Arsenal different to what I said about Arsenal. Good but nothing special.

Who cares about Newcastle? How can you say they are better than top Spanish/Italian/German teams after a single good season in the PL, not even in Europe?

Your point about Tottenham? My point was that they are on par with other European league teams who finish at the top. But they aren't better. If they were they would not have squandered.

Yes, City is good. But we are talking about who is better. And they have not shown that they are better.

I'm not denying PL has no good teams. I'm just denying that they are better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)
    Full of rubbish Barca's tiki taka has been nothing like it was the past two seasons too many injuries to forwards and midfielders and even the defenders has caused pep to rotate the formation. I guarentee you next season teams wont be able to collapse in on tiki taka. So teams will now just hope Barca and teams like Bayern and Real miss chances every game right? Wrong the Chelsea game was an exception in which the shooting was piss poor. Desire dont make me laugh it was more down to luck and you know it.

The only thing Chelsea will be known for is being the side that somehow managed to luck their way to the cup.
    Actually agree something seemed to be missing whether it was Pedro running between the lines or David Villas long ranged shooting ability and fox in the box sort of thing. Less Crossfield balls were being played and the midfield was constantly changing. One weak Thiago was playing then Keita just never seemed to be consistent unlike last season. Also defensive injuries caused you lot to have to resort to some really weird formations which frankly shouldnt have been played. 3-4-3 without Pique and Abidal is asking for trouble. Next season a new center back and possibly striker should help solve the problem just need to keep a consistent team going instead of trying so many different things.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4RealBlud)
    I've never watched la liga, but the boredom of watching barca and real madrid win again and again and again and again, must just be unreal. At least in the EPL you get some good gritty drama. One minute liverpool almost win the league, then they have their worst. Man city win with a kick in the dying seconds. Chelsea score the most goals in a season ever. Spurs and Newcastle suddenly have a massive revival. It's unpredictable, but stable enough to make you sit on the edge of your seat. Spurs can beat Man U in one game then lose 4-1 to blackpool the next. The teams have an actual chance of beating each other, and that is how you get jawdropping upsets. I cant imagine you get this in la liga. And i agree that brundsliga is probs better than la liga.
    You're an idiot. First, you give an opinion on something that you don't watch. And second, you call the Bundesliga the Brundsliga.

In response to the OP, the PL is the second best league in terms of quality. Just because Real and Barca are ahead of the rest of the teams, that doesn't mean those other teams are crap (Spanish teams have dominated in the last 3 years). IMO, Barca and Real will soon turn into a Big 3 if Malaga's owner continues to put money into the club.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    You're an idiot. First, you give an opinion on something that you don't watch. And second, you call the Bundesliga the Brundsliga.

In response to the OP, the PL is the second best league in terms of quality. Just because Real and Barca are ahead of the rest of the teams, that doesn't mean those other teams are crap (Spanish teams have dominated in the last 3 years). IMO, Barca and Real will soon turn into a Big 3 if Malaga's owner continues to put money into the club.
    You dont need to be an ******* about it, im just giving my opinion.

Peace and love
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnharris19944)

They haven't had THAT many injuries. Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Mascherano, Pique, Alves, Adriano, Messi have been ever present. The only position where they've struggled with is the wings. Pep rotated the defence because he thought a 3-4-3 formation was a good idea, clearly he was wrong. He didn't change formation due to injuries, it was because he knew teams were starting to work out their 4-3-3. Alves, Mascherano and Pique all played regularly without injury. Even Puyol played 44 games this season. The only long injuries in midfield were to Thiago or Fabregas who are hardly in the strongest 11 anyway. Don't lie with this injuries bull, Barcelona deserved exactly what they got this season. Pep chose not to play the tried and proven Pedro, played the slow Fabregas on the wing, had too much faith in the overrated Tello and Cuenca. The facts are that Barcelona's attacking department is quite thin and they paid the price for that.

Barca missed chances because Cech had a world class performance. Hitting the bar or post means nothing, Liverpool have hit the bar 30+ times this season.

Anyway in the Real Madrid vs Bayern game, Bayern was the better side over the 2 games.

If you're saying the Chelsea game is an exception, then is this seasons La Liga an exception too? Barcelona got humiliated by Chelsea and Real on their home turf, then Pep couldn't take anymore so he quit. He knew he couldn't keep Barcelona at this level so he quit while they were still considered the best.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.