The Student Room Group

AQA Additional Science Biology exam tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Got B2 tomorrow, but surprisingly I am actually quite ready for it. Bring it on!!!
Original post by cuckoo99
you guys are lucky you're not doing the unit 2 biology AS level exam tomorow ;p that **** is crazzzy

I'm actually really really looking forward to Science A levels. I want to know more about what goes on in pretty much every aspect of Science. GCSE is fun but also very simplified and you can tell they dub it down at this level.
Original post by Cnut
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for the exam tomorrow?
My teacher told me it was 80% for an A, but I looked online, and AQA says that an A is only 55%.

Any insight? Cheers =]

As far as I am aware the grade boundaries are adjusted according to the examination. Meaning not until all the papers marked and all candidates awarded results will they be able to determine the difficulty of the paper and be in a position where they can set grade boundaries. If I am wrong, please feel free to correct me on this. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by usycool1
It varies :smile: For B2 last June, you needed only 58% for an A*...

It's been quite low for a few years now. Do you think it's likely to change though?
See here.

Scroll down to "The chemical process of fermentation of glucose." It's a bit complicated but I think it shows that water is produced :tongue:

I think you're right! Do we have to know this stuff, or just what you told me earlier? :s-smilie:
Original post by x-Sophie-x
There are many other pros and cons which are perfectly acceptable answers...

The problem was that I got to,d of many in class but they weren't answers in the AQA mark scheme, so I just wanted confirmation.
Original post by Dandaman9999
The problem was that I got to,d of many in class but they weren't answers in the AQA mark scheme, so I just wanted confirmation.

This question was in the 2012 paper though so I doubt it would come up..
Original post by x-Sophie-x
This question was in the 2012 paper though so I doubt it would come up..

Are you sure? What do you think will come up then?
I think you're right! Do we have to know this stuff, or just what you told me earlier? :s-smilie:

Fermentation (anerobic respiration) of glucose makes ethanol and carbon dioxide
aerobic respiration of glucose makes carbon dioxide, water and lots of energy.
Reply 48
No problem :smile: Also, I should have said that another disadvantage of transplants is that the transplanted kidney only works for a few years or so :smile:

And for ethanol-based fuels:

Use carbohydrase enzymes to break down starch from plants into glucose.

Ferment the glucose anaerobically with yeast.

The products of this anaerobic fermentation are ethanol and water.

The ethanol can be extracted by distillation.

The ethanol can be used to make fuels.

:smile:

This has helped me! Thank you
Reply 49
Do you guys think there is a high chance of plants being on tomorrows paper since there hasn't been any on all of the other past papers?
Original post by Stephanie8

That's what I thought but his link says differently??
Reply 51
Original post by Stephanie8

Be careful :smile: Aerobic respiration does not make energy, it releases it :smile:

Sorry, don't mean to sound pricky :smile:
Reply 52
That's what I thought but his link says differently??

It's complicated. This is what it says in my revision guide:

If sugar-rich products from cane and maize are fermneted anaerobically with yeast, the sugars break down incompletely to give ethanol and water.

I guess this is all we need to know :smile:
It's complicated. This is what it says in my revision guide:

If sugar-rich products from cane and maize are fermneted anaerobically with yeast, the sugars break down incompletely to give ethanol and water.

I guess this is all we need to know :smile:

Are you sure? Because my revision guide says:

"Yeast make ethanol when they break down glucose by anaerobic respiration-
Glucose-->Ethanol+Carbon Dioxide+Energy"
Reply 54

Mines says this too, and my notes off my teacher
doing B2 and B3 tomorrow want to get A*'s in both. Good luck to everyone else doing them.
Reply 56

Yup :smile: And my teacher said something about water...

I think my revision guide has worded it badly though. I think water is made before the anaerobic respiration by the process of glycolisis.
Yup :smile: And my teacher said something about water...

I think my revision guide has worded it badly though. I think water is made before the anaerobic respiration by the process of glycolisis.

Do we need to know about the process of glycolysis? I've never heard of it! And are you sure this is GCSE? :wink:
Reply 58
Do we need to know about the process of glycolysis? I've never heard of it! And are you sure this is GCSE? :wink:

I don't think we need to know about glycolysis :smile: Hmmm...I think it's probably best to just ignore talking about water (as you said about 8 hours ago :tongue:) in this process. Sorry, I think I overcomplicated things :frown:
It's just what I read from my revision guide :frown:
I don't think we need to know about glycolysis :smile: Hmmm...I think it's probably best to just ignore talking about water (as you said about 8 hours ago :tongue:) in this process. Sorry, I think I overcomplicated things :frown:
It's just what I read from my revision guide :frown:

So it's ethanol, carbon dioxide, and energy which is produced? 100%? It's alright, we all overcomplicate things sometimes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending