The Student Room Group

What is Psychology like at As Level with AQA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
That you're annoyed with what alvl psychology is about because you obviously didn't research it before taking the class.

I did kinda researched it..... However, its boring regardless! What is also ironic is that everyone in my psychology class is: boring, sad and quite whilst me and this girl are the only ones in the class who aren't boring sad and quite.

Sorry if this offends you or other psychology lovers. Im just stating my experience :wink:
Reply 21
Psychology is AMAZING at any level!!!
I did it at A level and I'm now taking a degree in it, it just gets better and better. Truth be told, it isn't all going to be about analysing criminal minds and delving into the brain every lesson, there are the boring parts such as research methods, but I think that goes with any subject.
It's so worth it, and so interesting!
x
Original post by Clare~Bear
precisely.

At a-level it's a combination of biology (especially stuff to do with stress responses), maths (the stats involved) and english (wriitng those long answers). Is the same true for the degree?

There is a lot of biology. Don't really concentrate on English as there is the expectation that students come being able to structure an essay- although some advice will be given in seminars. There is A LOT of stats, and you will usually have separate stats lessons. Don't let that put you off though, there is a programme called SPSS that a lot of unis use which means you don't have to do your stats by hand.. just input your data and choose the statistical test. Can be a bit fiddly, but it's relatively simple once you know how to do it, and there are plenty of tutorials online anyway :-).
Some aspects are interesting but personally I found most of it boring as a lot of it is based on remembering studies and names and dates etc. The actual concepts aren't that difficult- it's just a case of memorising things which I found boring. And that's why I switched to physics.

It really depends on how you find those sorts of things. If your interest in the subject outweighs the tedious essay writing and memorising then go for it, or if you don't mind essays and are good at memorising things like that. But personally it wasn't for me as an A Level course even though I do find the subject interesting and quite fascinating. At the end of the day if you're not planning on pursuing it as a career then you want to pick a subject you'll get the best grade in and won't struggle with. I felt that I would switch off from the subject and therefore not work as hard for it so I changed to physics. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending