Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Is The Best Internet Security?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    Common sense doesn't prevent you from being targeted over Skype, from being infected by Java drive-by websites, and the list goes on. If you're going to post here, add something constructive instead of making the distinct impression that you're a technological troglodyte.
    Actually common sense plays a big role here, if you have common sense you aren't going to accept these unsigned applets from unverified authors. Same with being targeted over skype, how stupid do you have to be to download someone's malware over skype :facepalm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've used norton for about 5 years. Only had one virus incident and that was because i manually 'opened the gates' as it were.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have used Norton for many years, and it isn't that resource heavy anymore.

You may however want to look into additional protection.
    Anti-virus: Norton
    Additional scanner: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free)
    Firewall: Windows Firewall.

As long as you don't visit sites that are questionable, or download things illegally or via torrenting, then you should be fine with those programs for protection. Just be cautious when downloading anything, if it's too good to be true, it most likely is.

A Java Drive-By, often abbreviated 'JDB' is a method of infection. Normally a Java applet dialogue will pop up and ask for it to run, but there are however Silent Drive bys which can infect without getting any user input.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixelfrag)
    You must hang around HF a lot aha. It's not that popular, though. I'd say the largest of malware traffic comes from people downloading silly torrents.
    Indeed I do. However the community isn't so great.

It's always seemed quite popular to me, but you are right.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Actually common sense plays a big role here, if you have common sense you aren't going to accept these unsigned applets from unverified authors. Same with being targeted over skype, how stupid do you have to be to download someone's malware over skype :facepalm:
    You'd be surprised how many people lack this "common sense" and continue with the downloads. I wasn't referring to malware transfer over Skype, have a look a few posts above of this one.

EDIT : Also, as mentioned above, "silent" drive-bys do exist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Both are free, both get regularly updated, and both work well. Oh, and neither of them pester you to upgrade, or bug you with 'free PRO trials'.

MAM does have a pro version, but there's no real need for it anyway...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised how many people lack this "common sense" and continue with the downloads. I wasn't referring to malware transfer over Skype, have a look a few posts above of this one.

EDIT : Also, as mentioned above, "silent" drive-bys do exist.
    Yeah I run ClientMesh in the marketplace section, you might have seen it? Unfortunately banned for 2 weeks for post-delete bumping my thread **** sake stupid admins lol ._.

And yep you're right, they do become silent if you can manage to get it digitally verified!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I run ClientMesh in the marketplace section, you might have seen it? Unfortunately banned for 2 weeks for post-delete bumping my thread **** sake stupid admins lol ._.

And yep you're right, they do become silent if you can manage to get it digitally verified!
    I'm afraid I haven't, I don't really visit the marketplace section very often. :P
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're trying to be amusing, you've failed. Physical access isn't needed for data theft to occur.
    It isn't? What the hell? How do they get my data then???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psychic-house-parties.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	150724

It was funny. You just lack a sense of humour.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    It isn't? What the hell? How do they get my data then???

Name:	psychic-house-parties.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	150724

It was funny. You just lack a sense of humour.
    You've displayed a very powerful logical argument here! I must automatically lack a sense of humour because I did not find your petty joke amusing! Sorry, I didn't know it worked that way. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eset smart security
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've displayed a very powerful logical argument here! I must automatically lack a sense of humour because I did not find your petty joke amusing! Sorry, I didn't know it worked that way. :rolleyes:
    You displayed a lack of humour when you felt the need to post about my joke not being funny.

Not finding it funny is fine, posting about it makes you a grumpy sod
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    You displayed a lack of humour when you felt the need to post about my joke not being funny.

Not finding it funny is fine, posting about it makes you a grumpy sod
    This must also be correct, since you're omniscient and understand everything, including what I am and am not.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    This must also be correct, since you're omniscient and understand everything, including what I am and am not.
    If we're going to pull the whole 'you can't have an opinion because you're not god' card, then I remind you that you claimed my joke wasn't funny off the back of your own opinion. Works two ways, ya grumpy sod
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    If we're going to pull the whole 'you can't have an opinion because you're not god' card, then I remind you that you claimed my joke wasn't funny off the back of your own opinion. Works two ways, ya grumpy sod
    I'm far from grumpy, I'm sitting here with a straight face the whole time. :rolleyes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm far from grumpy, I'm sitting here with a straight face the whole time. :rolleyes:
    I'm growing to like you
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    I'm growing to like you
    mfw
    Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ghghgh.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	150829  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    someone might have already said it but you get kaspersky for free if you online bank with barclays
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which is best but having always used a range of things (not installed at once) I can say that AVG is decent at removing viruses but not good at stopping you get them in the first place.

Bit defender 2012 is what i currently have ( got a free code from a pc magazine) and it works great, isn't obtrusive and I havent had any viruses since i've installed it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    mfw
    "If you're trying to be amusing, you've failed."

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 15, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.