Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Is The Best Internet Security?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Username<)
    Yeah, I suppose I do feel more comfortable paying for one. What paid ones are good? Do you know?
    Yo OP, before you buy anything, check with your bank: Some banks give out free copies of decent anti virus software as part of anti-id theft.

Barclays, who I'm with for example give out Kaspersky. http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsuppor...P1242557966961
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    "If you're trying to be amusing, you've failed."

mfw
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	150830  
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nod32... No annying pop ups, it just works quietly in the background, and I have NEVER EVER had a virus since I've started using it.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anetata)
    Nod32... No annying pop ups, it just works quietly in the background, and I have NEVER EVER had a virus since I've started using it.
    I completely agree with you, it is just as good as kis2012, only I find kis2012 is a bit more of a resource hog.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to use McAfee as I got it free with O2 internet, I strongly recommend you NEVER buy McAfee. I managed to have my PC crashed by a virus 3 times over the year I used McAfee.

I currently run Bitdefener. It's cheap, efficient, easy to use and it doesn't slow down my PC like McAfee did or randomly block things I have aways used and trusted without telling me, like McAfee.

I would recommend Bitdefender if you aregoing to buy internet security but i'm sure there are free programs that would do a decent job.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    Regarding Skype; assuming two parties are engaged in a video/voice call in Skype, it's relatively simple to obtain their IP address and proceed to DDoS them.
    So you actually have to accept their call? Besides, if it's just the IP address then any website you visit will have that (unless you use a proxy, VPN or similar). Moreover I'm not sure that standard personal internet security will protect you from DDoS attacks (correct me if I'm wrong here).

(Original post by Inverse)
    Java drive-by websites are websites which when intended for malicious use, prompt your approval to accept a Java Applet to be executed, subsequently beginning a malicious download. These aren't always malicious, but it is quite a popular method of infection.
    Again you need to actually go to the site and then actively accept the installation of the Java Applet, which with some common sense you wouldn't do for an unknown site and unknown software.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixelfrag)
    I've always found Norton as being very resource-greedy, and not being able to pick up threats as fast.

If you have a bank account with barclays, sign up for online banking and you get 3 free kaspersky licenses.
    The 2010 version along with windows demanding better hardware fixed the problem of heavy resource use.
    I would only ever go with Norton as it never misses a virus and has a ridiculous amount of updates per day. It is also now extremely fast as everything downloaded is automatically scanned and quarantined just in case

Though an additional product that helps remove/stop viruses is registery cleaner such as ccleaner. If any registry entries have been made, a normal antivirus might not remove everything so on the off chance that you antivirus misses something, ccleaner won't/allows for an easy manual removal of anything unwanted.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    avast me hearties

because its free and allows you to shout out pirate things like that
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plimsolls)
    I've used norton for about 5 years. Only had one virus incident and that was because i manually 'opened the gates' as it were.
    So, would you say Norton slowed down your computer, at all?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm a computer noob, but i would say not. It randomly scans in the background and i don't notice it so. People say it's rubbish but my current comp is fine after two years with it. (had it for three years on another comp too.)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is one of the lightest you'll find on resources. Check out recent reviews. Norton made it their mission to lighten the load because a few years ago it was a severe resource hog.

If you do get Norton (I would still recommend Microsoft Security Essentials + other stuff, as per my previous post), look for a cheaper older version. All you need is the product key to activate the latest software from the Norton website. There's absolutely no reason to buy the latest version from the likes of PC World. It's a ripoff that has no extra value.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm really confused. Because some people say there no is need for security, others say there is no point in buying any when there are free ones on the internet, whilst others say it's best to buy one.

So, what is the best internet security? And do I need one?

Btw, I have Windows 7.

Thanks.
    I can tell you the worst. *trumpet failfare* NORTON. Yuck.

I don't use one, because if anything ever goes wrong I just restore back to a point where my computer was safe, and I keep all my files backed up.

For the average user, free security is all you'll ever need or want.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan3va)
    avast me hearties

because its free and allows you to shout out pirate things like that
    Y'aarrr. Once upon a time, I did have the Avast loaded yonder on my computer. It contained avast spectrum of useful tools and features (yesss, don't punderestimate the power of puns!).
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kaspersky
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Junaid96)
    I can tell you the worst. *trumpet failfare* NORTON. Yuck.

I don't use one, because if anything ever goes wrong I just restore back to a point where my computer was safe, and I keep all my files backed up.

For the average user, free security is all you'll ever need or want.
    You realise how idiotic that is?
    Malware can easily infect restore points, meaning if you were to restore your computer to a point, it'd most likely be infected.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the misinformation in this thread... :facepalm2:

Generally, a free anti-badness package like MSE, regular patching, a suspicious mind and lashings of common sense will keep your computer safe.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paradoxical)
    You realise how idiotic that is?
    Malware can easily infect restore points, meaning if you were to restore your computer to a point, it'd most likely be infected.
    How is malware going to infect a disk which is only plugged in to restore? When I got a virus, I wiped my computer and reinstalled using my restore disk. Simple.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    One thing that puzzles me is when magazines do a comparison and say

the clear winner was Kaspvastnor which stopped 98 % of the trojans ...

surely the other 2% could still trash your computer ?

:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Y'aarrr. Once upon a time, I did have the Avast loaded yonder on my computer. It contained avast spectrum of useful tools and features (yesss, don't punderestimate the power of puns!).
    g'yahrgh its also great for protectin yer treasure trove of data from those scurvy viruses
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is malware going to infect a disk which is only plugged in to restore? When I got a virus, I wiped my computer and reinstalled using my restore disk. Simple.
    Excuse my ignorance, I assumed you meant System Restore, backing up from a saved restore point.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 15, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.