The Student Room Group

OCR AS Law: The English Legal System 24th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jk122
Hey i have a question if the question in the exam asks for discuss the adv and dis of say the training of barristers should we do 3 points for and then 3 points against or should we do 3 points with the adv and dis combined into one point??

The important thing to do is explain why things are good or bad - not merely list them. Listing them will get you a few marks, but you'll get much more if you can explain why things are important. Be critical.

As to numbers, I would say three for each would be adequate.

You could say 'it can be argued that X is disadvantageous because of Y, however it is a necessary step in order to achieve goal Z'; for example, if you were to say that requiring would-be barristers and solicitors to sit the BPTC and LPC respectively are disadvantages because they are barriers to entry to the profession because of their prohibitavely high costs, you would need to say that they are required in that the law degree does not provide the specific training that is required to practice law competently and that the problem is mitigated somewhat by scholarships and firms and chambers that sponsor successful applicants and pay their fees, ensuring that genuinely excellent applicants are not stopped by the fees.
Reply 21
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
The important thing to do is explain why things are good or bad - not merely list them. Listing them will get you a few marks, but you'll get much more if you can explain why things are important. Be critical.

As to numbers, I would say three for each would be adequate.

You could say 'it can be argued that X is disadvantageous because of Y, however it is a necessary step in order to achieve goal Z'; for example, if you were to say that requiring would-be barristers and solicitors to sit the BPTC and LPC respectively are disadvantages because they are barriers to entry to the profession because of their prohibitavely high costs, you would need to say that they are required in that the law degree does not provide the specific training that is required to practice law competently and that the problem is mitigated somewhat by scholarships and firms and chambers that sponsor successful applicants and pay their fees, ensuring that genuinely excellent applicants are not stopped by the fees.

Oh ok so three of those points and then a conclusion is enough for full marks?
Original post by jk122
Oh ok so three of those points and then a conclusion is enough for full marks?

It would depend entirely on how well you explained yourself.
Reply 23
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
It would depend entirely on how well you explained yourself.

Well im nowhere near your level so maybe i could get almost full marks lol
Reply 24
If you look at the mark scheme for adv/disadv questions it goes like this
Point - 1 mark
Developed point - 2 mark
Well developed point - 3 mark
Very well developed point - 4 mark

So really you can have 3 points but very well explained, you need to show you understand the content
Hey good luck everyone on the exam tomorrow.

I categorized the ELS into Police Powers, Criminal Process (Bail), Sentencing, Civil Procedures (ADR), The Legal Profession, The Judiciary, Lay Persons and Legal Funding.

As far as i'm aware you only need to know 7 of the 8 to be guaranteed full marks as you are only limited to picking one from section B so even if section B has a topic you don't know it won't matter because you can pick the other one.

The attachments are notes on the important points to remember for the first 5 topics listed above (haven't finished revising yet :biggrin:), roughly 2 pages on each subject and hopefully, especially for the people who have left revising to the last minute, they will be helpful in quickly taking in the important info on these topics.

Again good luck, but don't stress... can always retake.
Also my law teacher said he thinks they will almost definately ask on legal funding and it is likely if they go for a question on the judiciary they will ask on the seperation of powers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by JaredMcGrath
Also my law teacher said he thinks they will almost definately ask on legal funding and it is likely if they go for a question on the judiciary they will ask on the seperation of powers.

Love Seperation of Powers, really easy to grasp for me anyway. Not keen on legal funding, find it all a little confusing, do you have any notes for either criminal or civil funding?
Sorry not at the moment mate, i'm gonna do notes for the judiciary, then lay persons, then legal funding and I will stick them up on this forum soon as I finish each one.
Reply 29
Barristers
Magistrates
Bail
Separation of powers
Police powers - detention
Categories of offences and dis/ad of crown court
Reply 30
Original post by Katherine1
I think Magistrates are going to come up, because I looked at some past papers and they haven't come up for ages but that's just what I think! Police powers seem to come up all the time, as does sentencing (which I dislike!)...

What's everyone revising for civil courts? Track system/appeals/disadvantages?

Exam's tomorrow guys (:O) and I have statistics in the morning and French on Friday, panicking slightly!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 31
Legal Funding seems like one that might come up. And police powers.. Think I might do last minute on them as a hope they will come up

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Meganxxxx
Barristers
Magistrates
Bail
Separation of powers
Police powers - detention
Categories of offences and dis/ad of crown court

This your prediction for the exam questions?
Reply 33
Meant the legal profession, not legal funding.. that better not come up because i'm not looking at it at all..
Notes on the Judiciary and Separation of Powers
Reply 35
is civil cases likely to come up? i havent read it at all
Reply 36
Original post by JaredMcGrath
This your prediction for the exam questions?

Yeah lol .....???? :smile:
Reply 37
Anybody want to hapazard a guess on what might come up? Police Powers, Bail, Sentencing and ADR are the one's that hopefully might come up! Dont like Law Profession or the Criminal Courts.
Original post by Meganxxxx
Yeah lol .....???? :smile:

Pretty random set of topics lol, how did you come up with them as maybes? Just psychic guess or have they not come up in a while etc.?
Reply 39
Let's be honest, no one has a bloody clue :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest