The Student Room Group

OCR AS Law: The English Legal System 24th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Jay.95.
Anybody want to hapazard a guess on what might come up? Police Powers, Bail, Sentencing and ADR are the one's that hopefully might come up! Dont like Law Profession or the Criminal Courts.

ADR wont be on there as it came up in jan :frown:
A table of when and what topics came up Jan 07 to Jan 12
*I must've done something wrong because Criminal Courts is empty, think i confused some of Pre-trial procedures with Criminal Courts.

My guess is
- Police Powers
- ADR
- Judiciary
- Sentencing
- Legal Profession
- Legal Funding
- Criminal Appeals
ADR won't come up because it came up in January and is not a popular topic with Examiners. Lay Magistrates and Young Offenders have not come up since Jan 2011 so are likely to come up this time around in my opinion. Legal profession and Judiciary are regular topics so they are worth revising in detail too. By the way, the Police Powers question will probably be on Stop and Search but it could be detention.
Reply 43
Original post by JaredMcGrath
Pretty random set of topics lol, how did you come up with them as maybes? Just psychic guess or have they not come up in a while etc.?

Erm yeah basically took down all the topics and then seen how many times they've come up then took away all the topics that came up in 2012 january and that's what I was left with and legal funding but my teacher never taught us that so that's what I'm going with lol hoping for the best!
Reply 44
Legal Profession is giving me grief! Literally nothing is going in..damn
starting my revision now, my 2nd time retaking it lool, embarrassing, got a D then a C and just wanna improve it

the thing i lack in is the discuss questions i really struggle in those, does anyone know any structure's or tips for them? please lool

i got 76/80 on sources but just can't seem to get good on this one :frown:
Reply 46
Original post by wythenshawered
starting my revision now, my 2nd time retaking it lool, embarrassing, got a D then a C and just wanna improve it

the thing i lack in is the discuss questions i really struggle in those, does anyone know any structure's or tips for them? please lool

i got 76/80 on sources but just can't seem to get good on this one :frown:

For structure it's just three well developed points/arguments, try to include a statistic or fact and why this is good/bad. You get three marks just for good communication skills.
Original post by Conzy210
Love Seperation of Powers, really easy to grasp for me anyway. Not keen on legal funding, find it all a little confusing, do you have any notes for either criminal or civil funding?

These are the notes I made for revising legal funding, good luck in the exam and hope they help.
stop and search likely to come up?
Reply 49
Original post by Meganxxxx
Barristers
Magistrates
Bail
Separation of powers
Police powers - detention
Categories of offences and dis/ad of crown court

I spent some time predicting the paper and pretty much predicted the same, thanks :smile:
Reply 50
Revised pretty much all them, woke up feeling like complete **** though, horrible cold :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 51
Thanks all and good luck :smile:
How did everyone find it? A few dodgy questions i thought
Reply 53
I was so shocked judges didnt come up! what did everyone put for the scenario questions??
Reply 54
I really revised the legal profession, but I have no idea what the 2010 reforms are because our textbook only goes up to 2007! (cry)

And also, did anyone else do the police powers question and think 'what the hell is Paul doing with earrings there...?!'
Original post by Katherine1
I really revised the legal profession, but I have no idea what the 2010 reforms are because our textbook only goes up to 2007! (cry)

Don't worry you're not the only one out there, i just checked the book, i think the paper said 2010 because the Legal Ombudsman officially began work in October 2010.
I did Legal Profession, Civil Courts, Bail and Police Powers. It was the most pleasant exam i've had so far, hopefully i did well.
Reply 56
Original post by jk122
I was so shocked judges didnt come up! what did everyone put for the scenario questions??

I didnt like the bail A question so I did the stop and search A+B
For the scenario I mentioned fingerprints being lawful, Strip search being unlawful as female officer present but lawful as there was most likely reasonable suspicion that he could be hiding the earrings within his clothing. Commented on the clothing being unlawful. Doctor for intimate search lawful, then I commented on the fact that the intimate search could be seen as lawful overall depending on whether the police deem the earrings as an article that could cause damage to Paul (Pace)

I thought the section B questions were different than what I have seen before, Yeah I put for 2010 reforms the legal ombudsman and also I believe compensation was increased in 2010 to like 30000 from 15000 but wasn't too sure :frown:
Reply 57
Original post by deano0417
I didnt like the bail A question so I did the stop and search A+B
For the scenario I mentioned fingerprints being lawful, Strip search being unlawful as female officer present but lawful as there was most likely reasonable suspicion that he could be hiding the earrings within his clothing. Commented on the clothing being unlawful. Doctor for intimate search lawful, then I commented on the fact that the intimate search could be seen as lawful overall depending on whether the police deem the earrings as an article that could cause damage to Paul (Pace)

I thought the section B questions were different than what I have seen before, Yeah I put for 2010 reforms the legal ombudsman and also I believe compensation was increased in 2010 to like 30000 from 15000 but wasn't too sure :frown:

Oh noo i put the fingerprints as unlawful because they used force only reasonable force allowed?
I did sentencing, police powers, bail and magistrates
Pretty nice questions I thought! :smile:
I did criminal legal funding, community orders, police powers and bail. Was a reasonably easy exam I thought except it was 100 degrees in the exam room and I had like a claw hand at the end of it lol.

Quick Reply

Latest