Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stuck what to do, lost 30lbs and counting.

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I am 5 ft 4 , and I used to weigh 154lbs. Since November, weight has just dropped off of me. I started a gluten free diet, and everyone seems to think this is the reason, but its really not. I just replace bread with gf bread, pasta with gf pasta, eat cadburys instead of galaxy etc. Its not that I don't eat that food because its got gluten in, I just choose an alternative.

Since November Ive increasingly felt sick, and horrible, and so I began taking domperidone (Motillium) to try take the edge off of feeling sick, but soon stopped it as it didn't do much. But my weight was just dropping and dropping. I eventually went to the doctors in March when I weighed 137lbs , and they did two blood tests, and it came back that my prolactin was a little higher than normal. They did a urine test and it still came back a bit high so I was referred to an endocrinologist, and was due to see him in May. 2 days before the appointment the secretary rang me up and told me that the consultant was sick and that they had to cancel it. 2 weeks later I got another appointment for the 21st June which is a month away.

Just weighed myself this morning, and I'm now 125lbs. I'm feeling sicker than ever, and I can't have anti sickness tablets because this can artificially raise the prolactin level. Its affecting my revision, and my mood, and I'm just in depths of despair all the time because I feel so crap, completely gone off of food which I know is just going to make my weight go down further. I'm terrified to do any sort of exercise because it will just accelerate this weight loss.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't know if I can wait another month, but theres nothing the doctor can do until I see this endocrinologist person and I can't get bumped up the list. I eat really plain things to try reduce the chance of it upsetting my stomach.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you asked your doctor about being prescribed dietary supplements? I had a similar problem, I lost 21kg in not much more than 2months and I was prescribed some stuff called complan which was horrible but better than eating! The other thing you could try would be protein powder, which is pretty much what complan is. It's not a balanced diet by Any means though so you would still need to eat.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Have you asked your doctor about being prescribed dietary supplements? I had a similar problem, I lost 21kg in not much more than 2months and I was prescribed some stuff called complan which was horrible but better than eating! The other thing you could try would be protein powder, which is pretty much what complan is. It's not a balanced diet by Any means though so you would still need to eat.
    How come you lost weight?

I dunno i mean, would they really prescribe me that stuff when I'm still within a normal weight range?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    So I am 5 ft 4 , and I used to weigh 154lbs. Since November, weight has just dropped off of me. I started a gluten free diet, and everyone seems to think this is the reason, but its really not. I just replace bread with gf bread, pasta with gf pasta, eat cadburys instead of galaxy etc. Its not that I don't eat that food because its got gluten in, I just choose an alternative.

Since November Ive increasingly felt sick, and horrible, and so I began taking domperidone (Motillium) to try take the edge off of feeling sick, but soon stopped it as it didn't do much. But my weight was just dropping and dropping. I eventually went to the doctors in March when I weighed 137lbs , and they did two blood tests, and it came back that my prolactin was a little higher than normal. They did a urine test and it still came back a bit high so I was referred to an endocrinologist, and was due to see him in May. 2 days before the appointment the secretary rang me up and told me that the consultant was sick and that they had to cancel it. 2 weeks later I got another appointment for the 21st June which is a month away.

Just weighed myself this morning, and I'm now 125lbs. I'm feeling sicker than ever, and I can't have anti sickness tablets because this can artificially raise the prolactin level. Its affecting my revision, and my mood, and I'm just in depths of despair all the time because I feel so crap, completely gone off of food which I know is just going to make my weight go down further. I'm terrified to do any sort of exercise because it will just accelerate this weight loss.

Does anyone have any advice? I don't know if I can wait another month, but theres nothing the doctor can do until I see this endocrinologist person and I can't get bumped up the list. I eat really plain things to try reduce the chance of it upsetting my stomach.
    what about cutting out all processed food? just eat real food like meat, veg and fruit and avoid anything that has been processed including processed carbs including pasta, rice and bread. Our bodies arent designed to consume these things. Ya may as well try as u sound unhappy :-(
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1985)
    what about cutting out all processed food? just eat real food like meat, veg and fruit and avoid anything that has been processed including processed carbs including pasta, rice and bread. Our bodies arent designed to consume these things. Ya may as well try as u sound unhappy :-(
    Im just a bit worried if I cut out even more stuff I'll lose even more weight. I wasnt even trying to lose weight in the first place, I only started noticing,when my bras started getting too big and I got remeasured and I had gone down 3 sizes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im just a bit worried if I cut out even more stuff I'll lose even more weight. I wasnt even trying to lose weight in the first place, I only started noticing,when my bras started getting too big and I got remeasured and I had gone down 3 sizes.
    no no dont cut down instead eat as much non starchy veg as u can, some fruit and meats. these are foods that are full of nutrition. Nuts are also a healthy snack instead of junk food and have healthy fats, which ur body also needs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    See how you believe in a load of old *******s? That's fine, it's your right in a country with freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of belief to believe in a load of old *******s. It's even your right to tell people about it. But you should not be giving people health advice based on a load of old *******s.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try eating something plain but heavy such as beans on toast, the beans provide necessary proteins + fibre and other great things and the toast gives you carbohydrates.

Usually makes me feel better dunno about you, not that it will solve your sickness problems but it may make you feel better, I would also recommend trying to eat foods such as sausages or bacon... Another great invention, as long as it is not too greasy and if you enjoy those things, the main important thing is to make sure that you are eating enough Protein, fibre, vitamins and fats.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    See how you believe in a load of old *******s? That's fine, it's your right in a country with freedom of speech, freedom of expression and freedom of belief to believe in a load of old *******s. It's even your right to tell people about it. But you should not be giving people health advice based on a load of old *******s.
    thats just rude. only trying to help, how is eating healthy nutritious food bad advice?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thats just rude. only trying to help, how is eating healthy nutritious food bad advice?
    Because you've given her a restrictive diet plan that would cut out healthy things. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with pasta, rice or bread. The problem might come if you were eating highly processed white bread which has very little value or far too much rice or pasta which might make you fat. But the OP's problem is weight loss so that isn't an issue.

Your advice would cut out things which are actually part of a healthy balanced diet, not some fad diet based on pseudo science. (i.e. what you're pushing) 'Our bodies aren't designed to process these things' puh lease. Mediterranean and Asian people are some of the longest lived people on earth and what do they eat as a staple part of their diets? Pasta and rice!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Because you've given her a restrictive diet plan that would cut out healthy things. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with pasta, rice or bread. The problem might come if you were eating highly processed white bread which has very little value or far too much rice or pasta which might make you fat. But the OP's problem is weight loss so that isn't an issue.

Your advice would cut out things which are actually part of a healthy balanced diet, not some fad diet based on pseudo science. (i.e. what you're pushing) 'Our bodies aren't designed to process these things' puh lease. Mediterranean and Asian people are some of the longest lived people on earth and what do they eat as a staple part of their diets? Pasta and rice!
    again no need to be rude. Are these ur opinions because its what everyone thinks so it must be right or have u actually done any research into the subject urself? We as humans survived for a very long time before these foods were invented, and fruit and veg contain very healthy forms of carbohydrate. How did we survive for millions of years without pasta etc if it is so essential?
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    How come you lost weight?

I dunno i mean, would they really prescribe me that stuff when I'm still within a normal weight range?
    You can by complan over the counter from pharmacies as well (expensive though) as being prescribed it. Also, my GP prescribed me it last week as a temporary measure while I'm having some eating difficulties - I'm not underweight, but at the bottom end of the healthy range, and have experienced problems with being underweight before. I think really it depends on the individual doctor how willing they are to prescribe you these things.

Complan isn't just full of calories, it's also got lots of vitamins and minerals added into it, so you can use it as a meal replacement. If you were worried about anything in it making you feel worse and were buying it over the counter, I'd have a chat with the pharmacist about it, they're always really knowledgeable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    again no need to be rude. Are these ur opinions because its what everyone thinks so it must be right or have u actually done any research into the subject urself? We as humans survived for a very long time before these foods were invented, and fruit and veg contain very healthy forms of carbohydrate. How did we survive for millions of years without pasta etc if it is so essential?
    :banghead:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    You can by complan over the counter from pharmacies as well (expensive though) as being prescribed it. Also, my GP prescribed me it last week as a temporary measure while I'm having some eating difficulties - I'm not underweight, but at the bottom end of the healthy range, and have experienced problems with being underweight before. I think really it depends on the individual doctor how willing they are to prescribe you these things.

Complan isn't just full of calories, it's also got lots of vitamins and minerals added into it, so you can use it as a meal replacement. If you were worried about anything in it making you feel worse and were buying it over the counter, I'd have a chat with the pharmacist about it, they're always really knowledgeable.

First off, I didn't want to cause arguments sorry !

And thankyou i think if I lose any more weight or can't eat much this week I will do. How much effort would it take an average person to lose 30lbs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried reintroducing gluten? I mean, whatever it was doing for your body has stopped you feeling like crap, and now it's not doing that?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jambone2)
    Have you tried reintroducing gluten? I mean, whatever it was doing for your body has stopped you feeling like crap, and now it's not doing that?
    Stopping gluten has helped me because I thought I had really bad IBS but its stopped all of the symptoms. Im not allergic to it, I'm just intolerant, I'm not coeliac.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stopping gluten has helped me because I thought I had really bad IBS but its stopped all of the symptoms. Im not allergic to it, I'm just intolerant, I'm not coeliac.
    Oh ok, yeah I misread it a little bit...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.