Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Maths prep for uni?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    By the time i go to uni I'll have done FP1 and FP2 (edexcel) and I'm looking to do a maths degree of some kind. Now i know further maths will give me an initial advantage, and i was just wondering if it's worth self teaching myself FP3 during the summertime. Not to do an exam in or anything, just for understanding the ideas. I'm guessing i'll cover most of the content at uni anyways, but i was wondering how much of a headstart it might give me?
    • 365 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not going to hurt is it?

A better use of your time might be to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Concise-In.../dp/1584881933
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    One of the best things you can do to prepare for university to maths is to try and get a headstart on learning linear algebra. It is the one subject that will crop up in nearly everything you might do and also the one subject that many students fail to ever learn properly.

For example, the first couple of chapters of http://www.math.ubc.ca/~carrell/NB.pdf should be pretty readable for a beginner.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for the links and advice, I'll be sure to check them out properly when exams are over
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Saved me starting a thread with a similar question:cool: Although I hope to go read Maths and Economics not straight Maths.

Already have this which has helped me in my current maths course.

(Original post by torakrubik)
    Cannot remember where I found this but attached a pdf for ya:cool:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf Maths for Uni booklet.pdf (612.2 KB, 29 views)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Well it's not going to hurt is it?

A better use of your time might be to read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Concise-In.../dp/1584881933

(Original post by Jake22)
    One of the best things you can do to prepare for university to maths is to try and get a headstart on learning linear algebra. It is the one subject that will crop up in nearly everything you might do and also the one subject that many students fail to ever learn properly.

For example, the first couple of chapters of http://www.math.ubc.ca/~carrell/NB.pdf should be pretty readable for a beginner.
    Would you two say these books/pdfs are mostly understandable after A level maths? Or would study of FP1-3 be beneficial in understanding the topics covered?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Would you two say these books/pdfs are mostly understandable after A level maths? Or would study of FP1-3 be beneficial in understanding the topics covered?
    They both start from scratch, so yes, they should be readable after A level maths.
    • 365 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Understandable without FP1-3.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to do maths this September and our further maths teacher suggested that we come in for a short while after all our exams so we can go through FP3 to bridge the gap I guess between uni and a-levels.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    They both start from scratch, so yes, they should be readable after A level maths.

(Original post by Mr M)
    Understandable without FP1-3.
    Good to know. Thank you :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.