The Student Room Group

So Al Megrahi is finally dead

Anyone have any words they like to share?

Why did he survive so long?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why did we allow a man who killed 259 people to be freed and go home after 8 years in prison? :confused:

I still don't understand it, he was released on 'compassionate' grounds because he had cancer, but where was his 'compassion' when he blew up that plane?
He was only supposed to live for 6 months after his release, thats what the doctors predicted.

Perhaps the exchange involved other factors that the government doesn't what to be brought to light
Reply 3
In muslim countries, killing innocent americans and europeans gets you a hero's welcome and a state funeral.
Reply 4
Original post by Killuminati1989

Because believe it or not predictions on someone surviving cancer are about as accurate as predicting the weather six months from now.
Reply 5
Original post by J.Star
Why did we allow a man who killed 259 people to be freed and go home after 8 years in prison? :confused:

I still don't understand it, he was released on 'compassionate' grounds because he had cancer, but where was his 'compassion' when he blew up that plane?

Because our government are idiots.
Time for a party
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss
Because our government are idiots.

No, the Scottish government are idiots. They are the ones who decided to release him - not the UK.
Reply 8
It wasn't compassion. It was oil.
He shouldn't have been released unless his innocence could have been proven.
Original post by Secularist
In muslim countries, killing innocent americans and europeans gets you a hero's welcome and a state funeral.

In America killing innocent Muslims gets you a heroes welcome and a presidential inauguration.
Still don't think he did it. Tried in a court of law maybe, dubious evidence was aplenty.

Not going to rejoice about someone's death in any case.
Reply 12
Reply 13
Why did he get a hero's welcome when he went back to Libya? Why were people cheering for him? It's not like he'd been proven innocent or anything. I honestly don't understand the world we live in...
Original post by J.Star

Because idiots.
Reply 15
The evidence against him was real shaky.

Plus he was no danger to anyone when he was released so I see no real harm in it.
Reply 16
Original post by J.Star

An irrelevance. We do not judge ourselves by the standards of the worst people, but by the standards of the best.

I think compassionate release is reasonable when, perhaps, someone is far advanced in illness and infirmity. I don't think Al Megrahi was at that stage when he was released.

He was only supposed to live for 6 months after his release, thats what the doctors predicted.

Three months, actually.
Those victims weren't allowed to say goodbye to their families, don't understand why he was.

Who the hell is we? There is no "we"? I wish people would stop using that term.

Kenny McAskill made the decision.
Original post by J.Star

As people have said, he wasn't exactly in a position to do it again and the evidence that put him behind bars was iffy. He was a spy - they don't do the whole cuddly compassion thing.

Perhaps the exchange involved other factors that the government doesn't what to be brought to light

Most likely - BP's the largest foreign oil company in Libya...

Quick Reply

Latest