The Student Room Group

D1 24th May 2012 (Post here if your doing the exam)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i missed about half the paper, and messed up the other half of the paper, so yeah, it's all looking good for me.
If anyone can remember any of the questions I'll get an unofficial mark scheme written up :smile:
Reply 22
On the question which was about organising revision sessions for C1,C2 etc, how was the teacher able to organise it in two sessions? There was like one person doing C1 and M1, and another doing C1 and M2 or something, but M1 and M2 can't be in the same session it said by that example?
First off, you joined up the graph so all the sessions that the same student wanted to do were connected eg if a student wanted to do S1 and D1 you'd connect those two vertices. To work out the way the teacher should organise the sessions, you needed to start at any vertex and place this in session 1. Any vertex connected to this vertex would be in session 2, and any vertex connected to those would be back in session 1. I can't remember which went where, but this is how you worked it out.
The questions were so abstract and unclear, terrible paper, definitely the hardest I've done so far. Not to mention literally all the questions were sub-parts from each other, meaning that if you screwed up/done something slightly wrong on the first part you've done the rest of that set wrong. =/ *fingers crossed my Simplex was fine*

Worst of all some of the big and time consuming algorithms were only rewarded a small amount of points. -.-

Well, that's my prospects of an A in maths out the window =L
Because they were split into parts, like the simplex was, there will almost certainly be Error Carried Forward in the mark scheme so so long as the method was right, you would have got all the marks except the A marks in the part where you made the mistake, then all the marks in subsequent points so long as you carried out the algorithm correctly.
Original post by icy elemental
Because they were split into parts, like the simplex was, there will almost certainly be Error Carried Forward in the mark scheme so so long as the method was right, you would have got all the marks except the A marks in the part where you made the mistake, then all the marks in subsequent points so long as you carried out the algorithm correctly.

Oh thank god, least there's hope for that question then! :biggrin:
Reply 27
lolwut? the exam was piss easy. very straight forward i liked it.
Reply 28
Original post by BobGreggary
The questions were so abstract and unclear, terrible paper, definitely the hardest I've done so far. Not to mention literally all the questions were sub-parts from each other, meaning that if you screwed up/done something slightly wrong on the first part you've done the rest of that set wrong. =/ *fingers crossed my Simplex was fine*

Worst of all some of the big and time consuming algorithms were only rewarded a small amount of points. -.-

Well, that's my prospects of an A in maths out the window =L

Agree
Reply 29
Original post by fosterwho
lolwut? the exam was piss easy. very straight forward i liked it.

Are you for real?
Reply 30
First off, you joined up the graph so all the sessions that the same student wanted to do were connected eg if a student wanted to do S1 and D1 you'd connect those two vertices. To work out the way the teacher should organise the sessions, you needed to start at any vertex and place this in session 1. Any vertex connected to this vertex would be in session 2, and any vertex connected to those would be back in session 1. I can't remember which went where, but this is how you worked it out.

but then it didn't fit the 'example' or was it just a really badly worded example
Original post by paulh94
but then it didn't fit the 'example' or was it just a really badly worded example

It did fit the example, because I think M1 and M2 were joined together so they couldn't be in the same session :smile:
Reply 32
It did fit the example, because I think M1 and M2 were joined together so they couldn't be in the same session :smile:

Yeh I know I realise that it means that now, I thought it meant that like C1 and C2 can't be together, same with S1 and S2, M1 and M2 etc, just misunderstood what it meant... could've been more clear really but I feel pretty stupid now...
Reply 33
Funny thing is I am the first AS year in our school to do D1 for standard maths instead M1. Not only that, but our teacher who has now left the school happens to be an ex-mechanic!

I could've paid to enter myself into M1, and taught myself it within a few months. I am seriously considering teaching myself M1 over the summer and then take it in January as a replacement for my D1 score. D1 is the worst module I have learnt this year, you can't go about a question paper with mathematical instinct, you just have to learn the tedious process of trudging through all the horse**** to understand whats going on! Even worse was the fact that this papers questions were especially abstract and novel! D1 can go die, it shouldve been removed from A level maths 20 years ago, all it consists of is watered down algorithims people performed before computers became commercial. There is little application of the stupid theory to today's world. Heck I wouldve preferred to of learnt a whole A level in computer science just to have a semi-interesting additional module for core maths
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Andy16
Funny thing is I am the first AS year in our school to do D1 for standard maths instead M1. Not only that, but our teacher who has now left the school happens to be an ex-mechanic!

I could've paid to enter myself into M1, and taught myself it within a few months. I am seriously considering teaching myself M1 over the summer and then take it in January as a replacement for my D1 score. D1 is the worst module I have learnt this year, you can't go about a question paper with mathematical instinct, you just have to learn the tedious process of trudging through all the horse**** to understand whats going on! Even worse was the fact that this papers questions were especially abstract and novel! D1 can go die, it shouldve been removed from A level maths 20 years ago, all it consists of is watered down algorithims people performed before computers became commercial. There is little application of the stupid theory to today's world. Heck I wouldve preferred to of learnt a whole A level in computer science just to have a semi-interesting additional module for core maths

If I could, I would give you 500 reps for that post, you have no idea how much i agree with you.
Reply 35
Original post by h2shin
If I could, I would give you 500 reps for that post, you have no idea how much i agree with you.

Thank you, it's the unfortunate truth that surrounds this dammed module.
Reply 36
Original post by Andy16
Thank you, it's the unfortunate truth that surrounds this dammed module.

why the hell are we made to do in an exam stuff that was created for computers to do?
Reply 37
Original post by h2shin
why the hell are we made to do in an exam stuff that was created for computers to do?

God knows, it seems like some sort of alternative to people who can't contemplate mechanics, those who aren't that great at actual maths so can get a decent score in the non-mathematical, 'wordy' module that it is.

I just noticed that you actually take a computer science A level? Seems pretty cool, I bet it is alot more interesting than D1
Reply 38
Original post by Andy16
God knows, it seems like some sort of alternative to people who can't contemplate mechanics, those who aren't that great at actual maths so can get a decent score in the non-mathematical, 'wordy' module that it is.

I just noticed that you actually take a computer science A level? Seems pretty cool, I bet it is alot more interesting than D1

ah yeah. D1 gets a lot more interesting when you start programming the algorithms. Computing is quite straight forward but it's certainly not boring.
Reply 39
I really don't know what to think of that paper. I think it was probably the hardest paper for D1 thus far (that doesn't have errors), certainly did not understand the whole revision sessions thing. Couldn't really make the paper much harder I don't think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending