The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Bonzo10
I put raw materials. I think they'd give you the mark for either. Also, totally bombed on how genes control differentiation? Anybody elaborate?

i said that different genes switch on and off during differentiation into xylem or phloem but i'm think i just made that up
Reply 141
Original post by Bonzo10
I put raw materials. I think they'd give you the mark for either. Also, totally bombed on how genes control differentiation? Anybody elaborate?

I wrote that certain genes were turned on or off during differentiation in order for it to perform it's specific function. I know that's not enough for both marks but mind went blank.
Original post by Bonzo10

I said something like the genes can be switched on or off which controls the cell's structure and/or function but it was a bit of a guess.
Original post by abodee
i said that different genes switch on and off during differentiation into xylem or phloem but i'm think i just made that up

Yeah I wrote Genes are switched on and off. I think I might actually get an A on this paper :biggrin:
Original post by TheFOMaster
Also for the Question on the animals (Endangered, Pest etc.) What did everyone put as the first one? Completely forgot and guessed essential :P
And the Gamete Mother cell was 8 right, I put that but changed to 16 and think its wrong now :frown:

I put raw materials and food for the first one and i put the same as you: 16 for gamete mother cell but i didn't know if i was right or not :/
Reply 145
SQA
OP
Original post by LLL17
I'm not too sure, I put both to be safe, but I'm sure either one will do :smile: ..

:frown: I got that wrong then, I put endagered (lol) I didn't study that part :sadnod:

How many marks was it for?
Original post by SQA
:frown: I got that wrong then, I put endagered (lol) I didn't study that part :sadnod:

It was 4 things so assuming you got 2 other things correct you'll still get a mark :smile:
Reply 147
SQA
OP
Original post by TheFOMaster
It was 4 things so assuming you got 2 other things correct you'll still get a mark :smile:

OMG :frown: , I hope so! I can't remember what I put on the other part
Reply 148
Did anyone else find the question with the graph & table & bar graph quite confusing for a problem solving question?
Original post by LLL17
Did anyone else find the question with the graph & table & bar graph quite confusing for a problem solving question?

It was a bit yes.
Reply 150
Original post by SQA

Did you write indicator species for the second blank? If so you'll still get 1 Mark. Or even if you got that bit wrong, and the other bits right you'll get 1.
They give out half marks too :smile:!
Reply 151
SQA
OP
Original post by mimx
I have a spare copy of the paper so I'll try, but I have other stuff to revise for so I might be slow. :frown:

:ta::teehee:
Reply 152
SQA
OP
Original post by LLL17
Did you write indicator species for the second blank? If so you'll still get 1 Mark. Or even if you got that bit wrong, and the other bits right you'll get 1.

Yes! Wrote indicator hehee!

There's half mark in Biology? Since when :eek:
Reply 153
Original post by SQA
Yes! Wrote indicator hehee!

There's half mark in Biology? Since when :eek:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think they do. My teacher always said they did but then again, maybe he's talking rubbish haha!
Reply 154
Original post by mimx
I have a spare copy of the paper so I'll try, but I have other stuff to revise for so I might be slow. :frown:

Thanks a lot!
Reply 155
The very last question about mammals and their reactions to photoperiod and gestation thing..
It asked for the collective term? I put photoperiod because I didn't know but I'm sure it's wrong. What did everyone else put?
Original post by LLL17
Maybe I'm wrong but I think they do. My teacher always said they did but then again, maybe he's talking rubbish haha!

'There are no half marks. Where three answers are needed for two marks, normally
one or two correct answers gain one mark.' That's from the 2011 marking scheme.

Thought it was a really good paper. Essays were really unexpected (no predicted questions came up) but straightforward. Though, I thought the multi choice was quite tricky in comparison with other years
Reply 157
Our teacher was right in predicting the respiration essay! I really wanted that, turns out I didn't even do it :smile: Did both of the first two essays as I wasn't so sure on them, how did everyone find it?
Original post by LLL17

Yeah as far as I know Chemistry is the only science that gives out half marks (never done physics)
Reply 159
Multiple choice scan:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2h6okm

Answers:

1. B
2. A
3. A
4. D
5. A
6. B
7. C
8. C