The Student Room Group

Would you like Private schools to be banned? (POLL)

Poll

Should we ban private schools?

One of the stupidist things I've heard.

Why not ban private healthcare too because of how "unfair" it is. While you're at it ban ferraris and mansions because it is unfair that some cannot afford these.

Did you realise there are actually people who wan't to ban legitimate businesses/organizations?

Scroll to see replies

Troll OP is troll.

Just to add, I'm not against private schools, it's just that the question is stupid, it's as if asking 'Did you know there are people that drink milk?'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by muddywaters51

Why not ban private healthcare too because of how "unfair" it is. While you're at it ban ferraris and mansions because it is unfair that some cannot afford these.

Did you realise there are actually people who wan't to ban legitimate businesses/organizations?

I think the argument is more along the lines of wanting equal opportunites (or as close to it as is possible) for as long as possible rather than jealousy.
OP: at least present with reasons to support your view.
I think people say it more to see what discussions they can get out of it, most seem to be against because they think it's and unfair advantage for uni, and more 'unfair' things...
Reply 5
The left wont stop unless everyone is united in below averaginess, "WE NEED MOAR EQUALUTEH", yeah, Ok, so what that means is not to improve education, but to take the top 20% and make them as equally mediocre and the bottom 40%
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Lol I know, it's so ridiculous it's laughable. It's not rich people's fault if the government doesn't provide decent free education.
Reply 7

Is this like racism but against stupid people?

Also given the post as a whole, if your education is what private school gets you they're probably going to go out of business any day now.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I doubt they want to ban private schools, they just want better education for the less well off families.
Reply 9
I agree it's a ridiculous notion.
If they're so motivated to get equality, why not campaign to ban inheriting genes that make people clever or beautiful.
I'm proud of my education - my parents worked hard for it.
I've seen a few threads / posts on here with people being completely against private education. I don't really understand it. They claim they're not jealous ...
Instead of banning private education, improve state education. That way, private schooling wouldn't be any better than the alternative, it would just be a different lifestyle choice.
Everybody has a fundamental right to healthcare and education. They are necessities and not luxuries. I do not feel that banning private schools and healthcare is a good idea; just make public schools and hospitals better than the private opposition... The Nordic Welfare Model works, does it not?
Some want to ban it cuz they can't have it

Quite silly really
Reply 12
Original post by ed-
I agree it's a ridiculous notion.
If they're so motivated to get equality, why not campaign to ban inheriting genes that make people clever or beautiful.
I'm proud of my education - my parents worked hard for it.
I've seen a few threads / posts on here with people being completely against private education. I don't really understand it. They claim they're not jealous ...
Instead of banning private education, improve state education. That way, private schooling wouldn't be any better than the alternative, it would just be a different lifestyle choice.

Exactly.

I also believe in creating more grammar schools to benefit those children who may not have money but have greater academic potential. It's extremely unfair to be lumped in with all the people who are unmotivated and unambitious. Of course the latter groups will need special attention and career guidance within the state schools.
Reply 13
Original post by roh
Is this like racism but against stupid people?

Also given the post as a whole, if you're education is what private school gets you they're probably going to go out of business any day now.

Apparently state schooling isn't any better:p:

In theory I'm in agreement with private education; the competition should force an improvement in state schools until private schools aren't worth it. I fear the reality doesn't quite work out like that.
Rich people subsidise the poor enough. Rich people pay tax to fund schools yet (many) still send their kids privately and pay for that. They are paying TWICE. Why on earth should they?
That applies to many areas of life today.
Reply 15
When I see threads like this I think of Diane Abbott.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ApresAlkan
Everybody has a fundamental right to healthcare and education. They are necessities and not luxuries. I do not feel that banning private schools and healthcare is a good idea; just make public schools and hospitals better than the private opposition... The Nordic Welfare Model works, does it not?

No, they don't. Why should the rich suffer because the poor are poor? Why do the rich have an enforceable duty to give money (indirectly ) to the poor?
Reply 17

This is an interesting topic and has potential to be an interesting thread.

But your OP contains absolutely no argument for or against whatsoever.

What is your reasoning behind wanting to retain the private education system?
Instead of moaning they could've worked harder to be able to afford it for their children? Most of the people sent to private schools probably do so because their parents earned a good living... I intend to do the same for my kids despite not being privately educated myself - just have to work hard to make it a possibility.
Reply 19

Perhaps some premium education would do you some good.

Quick Reply

Latest