The Student Room Group

Would you like Private schools to be banned? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

TL;DR-

I don't think we should ban them, but they definitely shouldn't receive state subsidies. I'd also like to see more prosperity and opportunity spread across the regions educationally, and maybe would like to see some scholarships for bright poorer kids to private schools.

I support the banning of boarding schools.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

Private healthcare isn't a good analogy- would you want the US system unfettered and the misery it has caused for example, the complete lack of human rights for the poor?

Another point is that Britain has had both state and private healthcare, but until very recently due to Tory ideology, the NHS has been vastly more respected and trusted by people of all classes and incomes.

You are a poster who has no clue what he is talking about. It is time some calls you out on your utter ****.(across the forum, you make me laugh).

Singapore has state and the private sector involved heatlchare, this is a model we should aspire to. According to the world health organisation Singapore healthcare system is far superior to the NHS. The NHS is inefficient and is not our best achievement(sorry this breaks your dreams and common leftist thoughts)
https://producaoindustrialblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

Let us examine why US healthcare is so bad.

Prices are high there because of a lack of a consumer base. In the US some of the reason costs are so high are the fact that you can't purchase health insurance from a company based in another state, which kills competition. Also, medical malpractice lawsuits drive up the cost of malpractice insurance, which drives up the cost of practicing medicine, so non-economic damages from those suits should be capped. Also, individual market and employee market (how you get your private health insurance) is treated differently for tax purposes, with individual market plans kind of getting shafted. The tax treatment needs to be equalized so that people buy more individual market insurance which is portable from job to job. Also, standards for what a health insurance plan is were greatly heightened by the ACA and should be scaled back so that cheaper plans can be offered to those who want them. If I bought health insurance, for example, I would only want catastrophic illness/injury insurance, but I am legally required to buy a comprehensive plan which is more expensive. Also, individuals with disabilities aren't allowed to pool their money together and thus increase their weight in buying health insurance, which is why so many aren't covered. Additional taxes implemented under Obamacare, as well as mandates on companies, drive up the cost too.

In the U.K., you could very easily preserve universal access but privatize the system
Original post by Beebumble
I can however see where these people are coming from state schools lose a lot of good teachers because by going to the private sector they get better pay and more freedom in terms of what they teach and how they teach it but then maybe the public sector should look at why that is happening.

This. Rather than blaming the private sector for being more attractive, the public sector needs to become more efficient and better run.
Original post by Aceadria
This. Rather than blaming the private sector for being more attractive, the public sector needs to become more efficient and better run.

The public sector is inefficient, government is inefficient.(on the whole)

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fleky6910
The public sector is inefficient, government is inefficient.(on the whole)

Indeed.

Singapore has state and the private sector involved heatlchare, this is a model we should aspire to. According to the world health organisation Singapore healthcare system is far superior to the NHS. The NHS is inefficient and is not our best achievement(sorry this breaks your dreams and common leftist thoughts)
https://producaoindustrialblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/

Where did I say the NHS was perfect, stop attributing arguments to me I didn't make. I said it has been, until recent stress, but even still now, way better and more trusted than private, within this country. It has also been, besides France and maybe some in Scandinavia, the best in the world, again it has weakened due to lack of support and the ideology of Tories.

Love the way you ignore my entire post by the way, the thread is about schools not healthcare you utter fool.

You glib adolescent free market idealists think you're so cool and have read Ayn Rand a little too much, you are literally blind to the complexities and downsides and it wouldn't surprise me if you wanted to emulate Singapore in all ways, yet the place is a toilet.
Where did I say the NHS was perfect, stop attributing arguments to me I didn't make. I said it has been, until recent stress, but even still now, way better and more trusted than private, within this country. It has also been, besides France and maybe some in Scandinavia, the best in the world, again it has weakened due to lack of support and the ideology of Tories.

Seems you didn't address my point.

Love the way you ignore my entire post by the way, the thread is about schools not healthcare you utter fool.

You glib adolescent free market idealists think you're so cool and have read Ayn Rand a little too much, you are literally blind to the complexities and downsides and it wouldn't surprise me if you wanted to emulate Singapore in all ways, yet the place is a toilet.

You made claims about healthcare which were false.

You marxists think you're so cool and you have read too much Marx, you are are blind to the real world.
Funny how you don't address any points and just use ad hominens.
Seems you didn't address my point.

You made claims about healthcare which were false.

You marxists think you're so cool and you have read too much Marx, you are are blind to the real world.
Funny how you don't address any points and just use ad hominens.

Well, address the many irrefutably logical points in mine before picking out the one part that wasn't about the thread subject?

Oh, and you were the one to first use ad hominems too.

Are you deliberately trying to be as transparently hypocritical as possible?

Another daft tactic of those who idealise a certain kind of politics, and no by the way, I'm not someone who sees no positives in it, is to put words in the mouth of their opponents and create broad brush strawmen arguments, such as, for example, trying to attribute 'communism' to people who don't want foodbanks or an indefinite rise in inequality. That's where I come to the whole sixth form, childish element going on with some people on this side of the political spectrum.

The libertarians who only support economic exploitation, but think that issues like the continual assault on civil liberties in the name of anti-terror legislation are good, are usually the most ignorant, myopic and regressive.

In this sense Thatcher was no Libertarian, Ron Paul is more like it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Well, address the many irrefutably logical points in mine before picking out the one part that wasn't about the thread subject?

Oh, and you were the one to first use ad hominems too.

Are you deliberately trying to be as transparently hypocritical as possible?

Another daft tactic of those who idealise a certain kind of politics, and no by the way, I'm not someone who sees no positives in it, is to put words in the mouth of their opponents and create broad brush strawmen arguments, such as, for example, trying to attribute 'communism' to people who don't want foodbanks or an indefinite rise in inequality. That's where I come to the whole sixth form, childish element going on with some people on this side of the political spectrum.

The libertarians who only support economic exploitation, but think that issues like the continual assault on civil liberties in the name of anti-terror legislation are good, are usually the most ignorant, myopic and regressive.

In this sense Thatcher was no Libertarian, Ron Paul is more like it.

I called you out for BS on healthcare, I don't care about this thread and what you said about schools some it made sense IIRC.
I was illustrating how stupid your point was about rand so I said marx. You are the hypocrite.

You don't what you are talking about and I am not a conservative supporter.
I will leave this discussion as it is not achieving anything
I called you out for BS on healthcare, I don't care about this thread and what you said about schools some it made sense IIRC.
I was illustrating how stupid your point was about rand so I said marx. You are the hypocrite.

You don't what you are talking about and I am not a conservative supporter.
I will leave this discussion as it is not achieving anything

You are in the Thatcher society. I was referring to her.

Ah, hypocrisy, selective arguments, and regal, haughty proclamations of 'You don't know what you're talking about', it's so beneath me....

T-wat.
YES!!!
BECAUSE private education just increase the gap between the rich and poor.
Its not fair that richer CHILDREN have better opportunities than poorer children. We should all be born with equal opportunities and have a fair playing field.
Poorer children should have exactly the same prospects as richer children. That's not fair. The family you are born into is not your fault, nor is it an achievement you should be rewarded for.
ALTHOUGH I would like to see a system where there are schools like private schools but only for very good students and it's 100% free, that way you are actually rewarded for better work and it gives students some motivation.
I don't think they should be banned but let's not pretend there are no negative consequences on state educated students when privately educated students are given better opportunities. Some roles and jobs are not zero sum, but many are. The grade requirements for oxbridge and medicine are higher because students are getting higher grades. The distribution of those higher grades is very uneven, to a point where it would be laughable to say privately educated people are just smarter and that's that. Something needs to be done to address how so few state educated are entering certain fields, but a race to the bottom is not the answer
The problem here is that everybody is acting as if the kids getting a lesser education is somehow a punishment for the parents. It's not, the kid is the one who has to try and succeed in a school, good or bad. They shouldn't be punished because their parents didn't work hard.
Yes, because it's not fair. I go to probably the most non-grammar school there is. The class sizes are huge, resources scarce and teaching lacking. Maybe if all the money spent on grammar schools was given to everyone else then education would be more equal... Just a thought
Reply 1054
Surely there is a strong right-wing case for the outlawing of private education. Namely that education (and in turn, society as a whole) should be based upon ability and merit and not circumstance.
Original post by prog2djent
The left wont stop unless everyone is united in below averaginess, "WE NEED MOAR EQUALUTEH", yeah, Ok, so what that means is not to improve education, but to take the top 20% and make them as equally mediocre and the bottom 40%

to be fair, if that happens, at least someone *cough* the government *cough* might actually be willing to do something about the inequality in this country
Wth f*ck no!!
The problem is not that private schools are bad foresay. It is just the irony that we live in a country with supposed equality and the people screaming equality the loudest are the ones who (usually) send their kids to private schools. Private schools are registered charities so they need to start acting like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending