The Student Room Group

Leave the Euro, or be under Germany's control?

Poll

What should happen?

Today I read an article which told how many of the top figures in Europe are contemplating that the countries of the EU and eurozone become even more united. The article also suggested that, with Germany being one of the most powerful EU countries, power could be centralized in Germany. Is this what you want?
Fun fact: During WW2, Germany took Greece's gold reserves for "safe keeping". I read yesterday that Germany refused to give the gold reserves back and, in fact, still have Greece's gold today. If Germany was to return Greece's gold (or the value of the gold which Germany stole), then Greece would have enough revenue to completely pay off it's debt.

Just because I think the EU has too much power and the power of the individual countries are dwindling, I think the EU should, gradually, be dissolved. If not, at least the Eurozone should go. Angela Murkel is becoming power hungry along with Brussells.
Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where did you read this article? The Daily Mail?
Reply 2
I think Hitler went overboard with a few things and should ahve just kept to politics.

Think about it, what beats a blitzkrieg into Poland? Well, you can stop tanks with a minefield but politics? Dare I say it, nothing can stop a political agenda once its steamrolling across the landscape.
Reply 3
Original post by MacCuishy
Where did you read this article? The Daily Mail?

No:smile: It's downstairs, I'll post what paper it was when I next see it :smile:
Reply 4
Remove the eurozone at least, if we do then we won't go down with it when it does eventually collapse.
Reply 5
Original post by M4LLY
Remove the eurozone at least, if we do then we won't go down with it when it does eventually collapse.

thats what I think. better to just remove it and start the road to recovery.
I also was told that the reason the EU does not want Greece to leave the Eurozone and EU is because they're scared that Greece will do much better for itself, thus causing other nations to leave the EU.
Reply 6
Original post by justmyopinions
I read yesterday that Germany refused to give the gold reserves back and, in fact, still have Greece's gold today. If Germany was to return Greece's gold (or the value of the gold which Germany stole), then Greece would have enough revenue to completely pay off it's debt.

How much is the gold worth?
Reply 7
thats what I think. better to just remove it and start the road to recovery.
I also was told that the reason the EU does not want Greece to leave the Eurozone and EU is because they're scared that Greece will do much better for itself, thus causing other nations to leave the EU.

True that, why should we pay for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with us?
Reply 8
Original post by Quady
How much is the gold worth?

Billions, of course. Greece had so much Gold before the war.
If Britain just embraced the EU then we could be in an equal if not bigger controlling position over the union than Germany is. We really could rule it
Reply 10
The entire concept of the Euro is flawed. The fact that EU beuracrats are more intent on saving it than actual entire countires says a lot about the entire corrupt system.
Reply 11
Billions, of course. Greece had so much Gold before the war.

Germany's gold reserves are the second largest in the world (after the USA). They have $200bn worth (approx 155bn euros)

http://www.futuresmag.com/2011/08/31/top-10-largest-gold-reserves-by-country?page=11

Greece has a public sector debt of 350bn euros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greece

Even if Germany gave all its gold then it wouldn't pay off the debt... not even half of it
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Germany's gold reserves are the second largest in the world (after the USA). They have $200bn worth (approx 155bn euros)

http://www.futuresmag.com/2011/08/31/top-10-largest-gold-reserves-by-country?page=11

Greece has a public sector debt of 350bn euros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greece

Even if Germany gave all its gold then it wouldn't pay off the debt... not even half of it

Well this doesn't take away the fact that Germany is continuing to take part in something which is illegal.
Reply 13
Well this doesn't take away the fact that Germany is continuing to take part in something which is illegal.

But it does take away its relevance.

That kinda happens in wars.

The UK has some stonework that belongs to Greece which we stole and that wasn't even a war. It doesn't mean it'd pay off their debt if the British Museum gave them back.
Original post by Quady
But it does take away its relevance.

That kinda happens in wars.

The UK has some stonework that belongs to Greece which we stole and that wasn't even a war. It doesn't mean it'd pay off their debt if the British Museum gave them back.

So stealing is ok? And seeing its well over 100m euro it's quite significant.
Keep the Euro.

Greece is in no state to have its' own currency, which will depreciate 50% overnight. There is literally zero industry.

Source: Worked in Greek industry.
Reply 16
So stealing is ok? And seeing its well over 100m euro it's quite significant.

0.03% isn't significant...
Original post by Quady
0.03% isn't significant...

Sorry over 100billion*
Reply 18
Original post by Spaz Man
The entire concept of the Euro is flawed. The fact that EU beuracrats are more intent on saving it than actual entire countires says a lot about the entire corrupt system.

This.

<3 x
Reply 19
Sorry over 100billion*

Where did over 100bn come from?

And is that what you meant by 'Billions, of course.' earlier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending