Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you spend per week on food?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just sorting out my student finance, and was wondering how much people spend per week on food. I know it probably varies for different people, but I won't be getting expensive stuff, so just like an average amount would be helpful.

Cheers,
    Ella
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    About £15-20
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere between £15 and £30 a week is fairly typical for the average student. No doubt there will be the people coming along as they do in every thread to tell you how that's "basically poverty", but they're just trolls so ignore them.

It can be done on less than £15 a week fairly easily if needs be, but that's a fairly average amount.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live with parents (so there's three of us) and we only spend £40 a week
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a household of four and we spend £120 per week. It used to be £160, but we're making cutbacks. £15-£20 seems pretty low to me? Can someone who spends this let me know what you buy for that? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well in a house of five people..probably just under £80. My parents are so tight you will not believe it until you meet them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    We spend about £50 a week but we don't scrimp on anything, buy plenty of meat and veg etc.

It depends how well you want to eat. Supermarkets often do deals eg. three packs of meat for £10, that will easily last you a couple of weeks depending on how much you like to eat meat! Most have offers on veg too so that can work out quite cheap. I'd actually recommend buying single fruit/veg cos you'll end up chucking a lot away. Pasta is really cheap, probably about 30p and you can get pasta sauces for around 50p too.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonjour_ella)
    Just sorting out my student finance, and was wondering how much people spend per week on food. I know it probably varies for different people, but I won't be getting expensive stuff, so just like an average amount would be helpful.

Cheers,
    Ella
    i'm a posh kid so i could easily spend an excess of £100
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    I have a household of four and we spend £120 per week. It used to be £160, but we're making cutbacks. £15-£20 seems pretty low to me? Can someone who spends this let me know what you buy for that? :confused:
    Frozen meat, tinned fish, big trays of eggs, frozen veg, supermarket value food (not on stuff like meat because that will just be mostly fat), offers, food close to use-by then freeze it, no cakes, sweets, chocolates or other rubbish.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah £15-20per week here, I'm a big meat and fish eater though so I could easily spend less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine it depends on what you eat, I mean if you have a bowl of porridge (say 40p) for breakfast then toast (30p) for lunch and for dinner you have a frozen pizza (70p-£1.50), you can eat for less then £2 a day.
    Wheras if you like your meat then i'd suggest giving SPAM a try!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i buy around 20 worth of sweets and then around 10-15 for food (not including AMT...their milkshakes r AMAZING).

edit: i live off subway for lunch and eggs in the morning. :cool: cant cook to save my life
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I reckon if you budget for £30 a week you'll be about right! You can easily spend less like others have said, but £30 allows you to buy the luxury/needed items like chocolate and biscuits!!! But if you get takeaways alot or have lots of meals out obv you'll have to increase the budget loads!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    To get an answer more specific to you try writing down what you eat at home for a week, then look up how much that costs and you'll get the amount your parents are currently spending on your food. Assuming you don't change your diet at uni you can budget that amount (though you may choose to change your diet at uni to lower the budget).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I'll probably be looking at the lower estimates because I'm vegetarian and I guess meat is pretty expensive. Where's the cheapest supermarket in general?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    £35 a week, £5 a day.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Differences across supermarkets aren't that noticeable unless you go to Waitrose. The penny you save per item in Tesco won't generally be worth it for the transport you take to get there, if say a Sainsbury's is a lot closer.

I usually spend between £20 and £25. I do lots of exercise though so need to buy quite a bit of protein and carb based products.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once every few months I'll get in bulk tinned and dry food, that would usually come up to about £40, but would last me like 2-3 months. Then weekly I'll top up on fresh meat and veg which would be about £20.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    £20.

I get...

Weetabix
    Milk
    Bread
    Tuna
    Onion
    Carrot
    Apple
    Pear
    Bannana
    Cod in Butter Sauce
    Fish
    Beans

Probably a few other things.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tycho)
    Wow - where do you shop, Waitrose?!

We're a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 children, 1 toddler) and we spend around £70 a week - and that includes nappies!

In addition we also have £3.10 a week worth of healthy start tokens which I use on fruit.

I haven't a clue why you would need to spend £120 a week. Even when we shopped exclusively at Tesco (nowadays we do the majority of the shopping at Iceland, and just a bit from Tesco, because it's cheaper than doing it entirely at Tesco) we still only spent about £100 a week at the very most, and that was on a very extravagant week.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.