The Student Room Group

Pursue a career in modelling or go to Uni?

I'm now 17, and last year I was scouted last year by Elite whilst out with friends, and, to cut a long story short, I've reached the stage where it's becoming increasingly difficult to balance work (AS Levels) and shoots, bookings etc so I have to choose. I know I have like a while before I have to apply, but it'll take me a while to decide.

Any advice from people who've been where I am would be greatly appreciated, or anyone with an unbiased opinion.

If I do go to uni, I'll probably apply to study Medicine.

Scroll to see replies

Unbiased opinion - assuming you actually have no clear preference of modelling over medicine, then go for the modelling right now.
You can only model for so long before you're a has-been, at which point you can go to uni. Nobody is ever too old for uni. Thus you can have both. Modelling first, uni later.

On the flip-side, if you do uni, then you will have totally missed out on the modelling, as you can't really go back to modelling after uni.
Reply 2
agree with above. One has a time limit, one doesn't. Remember you can always go to uni!
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Unbiased opinion - assuming you actually have no clear preference of modelling over medicine, then go for the modelling right now.
You can only model for so long before you're a has-been, at which point you can go to uni. Nobody is ever too old for uni. Thus you can have both. Modelling first, uni later.

On the flip-side, if you do uni, then you will have totally missed out on the modelling, as you can't really go back to modelling after uni.

Yes, I do agree with that, just need to try and convince the parents, but that shouldn't be too hard. Thank you!

Original post by SSaky
agree with above. One has a time limit, one doesn't. Remember you can always go to uni!

Yeah, I agree to, thanks :smile:
Reply 4
I was in your exact position whilst in year 9. My family was very supportive of my decision as my mother was the one to take me to the modelling shoots at modelsdirect (something..) I was chosen out of 100 people to model in a Debenhams kids clothes shoot where they offered me a contract for 3 years. I decided in the end that I wanted to focus more on my education than modelling as I want to study medicine (like you). Hopefully this helps coming from someone who was in the same situation. If you want to talk more just inbox me :smile: Also I have been very motivated to do medicine since I was 9 years old so if you are considering modelling or medicine I don't think it may be the right course for you as people who want to do medicine are very very head strong and fully comitted to it. Although it may work in your favour as you can possibly take a gap year and do some modelling and then apply to Univeristy? That's what I'm doing, I'm taking a gap year and am doing various things as well as a little modelling on the side, but whatever you do don't prioritise modelling over your education. Send me a message if you want to talk more about it :smile: x
Reply 5
What would YOU rather potentially do as a career, if you have to pick one?

Modelling or working in the medical profession?

If the answer is medicine, then you might as well cut out modelling altogether.

If the answer is modelling, well, you see where I'm going...
Reply 6
i think go uni, get it out of the way, remember a degree lasts for life where as a job doesnt
I'm kind of confused as to why this post is in the romantic relationship forum?

Plus if you want to study medicine you need to be dedicated, you shouldn't have medicine as your back up, just saying...
Reply 8
I hate people like you - good looking enough to be a model and smart enough to study medicine.

Anyway, I'd like to disagree with most people here. I think you should go to Uni, since modelling is something that you have a million to one chance to make it with and earn some good money/get a career, whereas medicine, if you're good enough will be a great career to get into.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm now 17, and last year I was scouted last year by Elite whilst out with friends, and, to cut a long story short, I've reached the stage where it's becoming increasingly difficult to balance work (AS Levels) and shoots, bookings etc so I have to choose. I know I have like a while before I have to apply, but it'll take me a while to decide.

Any advice from people who've been where I am would be greatly appreciated, or anyone with an unbiased opinion.

Unbiased opinion from a guy doing his AS levels -- Do modelling like others have said you only have 1 chance to do modelling when your young so do it now while you can and once this career ends maybe you could even get a job in fashion or beauty ... Or go to Uni as it is open for all ages :smile:

Btw ... Send me a message maybe :wink: i have pics and stuff and am single .... Meh its worth a go doubt i will get a message but i want a princess of my own :cry: ( sorry random mini sob story haha )

Hope my advice is good anyway :smile:
Reply 10
Medicine is hard work. Even getting into medicine is tough - it's not like you can just decide "Oh actually, I don't want to be a model any more, off I go to med school."

If modelling is really what you want to do then by all means go for it. However, remember that it won't last forever, and unless you get into the Kate Moss league, you're going to need something to fall back on. If you want that to be medicine, then it's probably best for you to at least complete your A-levels, so that 10 years down the line you have less difficulty with your application. If you really can't wait another year then by all means go off and do modelling, but realise that not having full A-levels will slow down getting into medicine (or any uni course) in the future.
Reply 11
go to uni. when you're 50 your medicine career will be able to fund your lifestyle, your modelling career MAY do, but its not guarenteed. just leave the modelling until after you finish school, maybe take a gap year so you can focus on it and get some extra money for uni. best of luck :smile:
Reply 12
Go to med school. People have said it before, but modelling won't last you that long. It'll make you decent money for a time, but it won't set you up for the rest of your life by the time you can no longer model - it simply won't cut it. Medicine, or even a good degree of most kinds will last you for the rest of your life and lead you into a sustainable career that doesn't just end. Also, just so you know, medicine is one of those things that if you get into, will give you pretty much a guaranteed job that will also pay well.

This is about long term success rather than the short term. Life decisions shouldn't be made with a focus on the short term - and this is one of those life decisions.
I would say definitely the modeling if you are certain you can make the money, and when it starts to die down, switch over to medicine. However, medicine does take forever

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
Original post by Anonymous

Finish your A-levels, then go for the modelling. Uni will always be there.
I would say definitely stay in school and get your AS/A2s over with and do modelling. THEN if you hate it you always have your alevels to fall back on, and you can go to uni.
You have to be careful with this one. Modelling can be unreliable, you can have loads of work some weeks then hardly any the next. Perhaps you could go to Uni in London then you can balance modelling and Uni at the same time as Elite is based there and 99% of the time the jobs will be in London. Both medicine and modelling are so competitive especially with you being a girl in terms on modelling. But I do think that you should consider Uni in London with modelling on the side to pay your way through uni get your degree then you have something to fall back on if things go t*ts up (not saying it will)

Source: Modelling for Storm Model Management.
Original post by Willez
Go to med school. People have said it before, but modelling won't last you that long. It'll make you decent money for a time, but it won't set you up for the rest of your life by the time you can no longer model - it simply won't cut it. Medicine, or even a good degree of most kinds will last you for the rest of your life and lead you into a sustainable career that doesn't just end. Also, just so you know, medicine is one of those things that if you get into, will give you pretty much a guaranteed job that will also pay well.

This is about long term success rather than the short term. Life decisions shouldn't be made with a focus on the short term - and this is one of those life decisions.

Is there any reason she can't do both?
Reply 18
Why not take a gap year? Apply for Medicine during A2 as normal but as deferred entry. Model for a year and make your decision then?
Reply 19
Original post by TurboCretin
Is there any reason she can't do both?

You could only do modelling as, at best, a part-time job while studying medicine. Even then it would be really tough to fit it around all the course commitments. If she really wants to make modelling her full-time career, it's one or the other, for now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending