The Student Room Group

AQA A2 US Politics thread (Units 3A 11th and 4A 14th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Todd
I don't reckon clientelism is one of the main ones anyway, you can only really write like asentence on it. If an essay came up on problems within the bureaucracy I'd just include a paragraph on iron triangles, and maybe mention clientelism as the specific link of that triangle that goes between the bureaucracy & special interests :smile:

I haven't heard of progressive efderalism either, and I revised that topic pretty thoroughly...it goes dual, cooperative, new, and then what Bush did, no? Either way that's easily enough for an essay :L

Did Bush increase federal power?
Original post by Jakeeyy
If Vice President, Cabinet or EXOP comes up i will be mad.

The chances are pretty high considering that the powers of the president have come up for the last two years.
Not really looking foward to this exam, im half confident and half scared, ive covered Const and Exec in depth and done some on Congress so if something bad comes up i have a bit of leeway, possibly the method of creating bills could be the 10mark on Legislature is my thinking
Original post by Jakeeyy

bush increased federal government power i.e the department of home land security, no child left behind,
Hoping for a nice Q on the Supreme Court (hopefully the protection of civil liberties or politicisation) and then either Executive or Congress (relationships between the two would be really nice!).

A little last-minute question if anyone could help! In the specification under Supreme Court, there is "the role of the supreme court as a guardian of the constitution." Does anyone know what this is trying to get at? Thanks
Reply 185
I think the only thing that puts me off this exam is it's so new it's impossible to predict :/
Reply 186
Can anyone give me a brief overview of the supreme court protecting civil liberties!?
Reply 187
Does anyone know how many marks you had to get to get a C in the past 2 papers?
Reply 188
Original post by lee94
does anyone know how many marks you had to get to get a c in the past 2 papers?

2011;
gov4a gce gov and politics unit 4a 80 a* 57 a 51 b 45 c 39 d 33 e 28

2010;
gov4a gce gov and politics unit 4a 80 a* 64 a 57 b 50 c 43 d 36 e 29

I thought I might as well put the lot as I'm sure others would want to know the grade boundaries too :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by unknown123
The chances are pretty high considering that the powers of the president have come up for the last two years.

I guess i could waffle on about those. Like what they are, the background and the roles they perform.
Reply 190
Original post by daninleeds
Hoping for a nice Q on the Supreme Court (hopefully the protection of civil liberties or politicisation) and then either Executive or Congress (relationships between the two would be really nice!).

A little last-minute question if anyone could help! In the specification under Supreme Court, there is "the role of the supreme court as a guardian of the constitution." Does anyone know what this is trying to get at? Thanks

It's basically the idea that the SC is supposed to police any attempts to go against the Constitution through striking down laws, presidential actions etc as unconstitutional as the Constitution is "the Supreme law of the Land". Wouldn't read too much into it, just mention it briefly in an essay concerning the intended role of the court.
What possible essay questions could come up on Federalism in the Constitution section other than : "The Federal government increasingly dominates state governments in the US. Discuss (30 Marks)

Thanks.
Thank you, a second question if anyone could help! Does anyone have any examples of Judicially Restrained cases, other than D.C. vs. Heller (2008)? Thank you!!!
Reply 193
Original post by Jakeeyy

Yep, a lot :smile: he increased spending, interefered more with the states, and created a new department.
Reply 194
Original post by JackT94
What possible essay questions could come up on Federalism in the Constitution section other than : "The Federal government increasingly dominates state governments in the US. Discuss (30 Marks)

Thanks.

Possibly the pros & cons of federalism, I feel like that's less likely though. The only one they can really ask on federalism is essentially how the federal government has increased/declined over the years - it's basically the same answer for 'how has the federal/state relationship changed?', 'how & why has federalism increased?' etc.
Reply 195
Original post by Todd

Yep, a lot :smile: he increased spending, interefered more with the states, and created a new department.

Homeland Security? It was part of EXOP at one point wasnt it?
Has Judicial Review ever come up as a 10 marker on the Supreme Court section.
E.g. Examine the principle of Judicial review on US government' In the US.
Reply 197
Original post by daninleeds
Thank you, a second question if anyone could help! Does anyone have any examples of Judicially Restrained cases, other than D.C. vs. Heller (2008)? Thank you!!!

I'll answer this one too haha...

Rehnquist Court 86-05 was more restrained than its previous courts being composed of 4 conservative justices, 4 liberals and one swing (O'Connor) so rulings were mainly knife decisions.
Although in 2000 Dickerson V US - 7:2 ruled against overturning Miranda even though Rehnquist expressed distaste for it, said "it is now part of our national culture". So you could say that was restrained as they were unwilling to take on the controversy that would come with overturning precedent.

Then the Roberts Court 05-present is quite restrained in some areas (but note there are also quite a few controversial cases!).
So yeah you'd say DC V Heller 2008 and MacDonald V Chicago 2010 was a similar case with similar ruling, upholding 2nd amendment right to bear arms. You could also say the court was restrained in 2007 Gonzales V Carhart, upholding the Partial Birth abortion act of 2003.

Hope this helps!
Reply 198
Original post by Jakeeyy
Homeland Security? It was part of EXOP at one point wasnt it?

I'm not sure - what I can tell you from memory is that it was created by taking about 170,000 staff memebrs from about 22 difefrent departments and agencies and putting them into the new Homeland Security dept. So, some of it was probably part of EXOP, yes! But not in its current form. And the creation of new dept's seems to be an indicator (in the exam boatrd's eyes) of expanding federalism - e.g. the depts of commerce & labour in 1903.
what possible question could there be for the cabinet, EXOP or federal Bureaucracy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending