The Student Room Group

AQA A2 US Politics thread (Units 3A 11th and 4A 14th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jakeeyy
Yep it will. Or basically even though it is rigid, it is flexible discuss. Amendment Process, Judicial review and conventions. Essay done. Haha.

anything other than separation of powers/checks and balances would be very easy. but i'll still wager it's federalism.
Reply 221
Any predictions for Congress? :smile:
Original post by av_kidd
Any predictions for Congress? :smile:

My teacher and I are nearly 100% certain that Committees will either be a 10 or 30 marker as it's the only explicitly large topic that hasn't appeared in either past paper or the specimen for Congress, but not completely sure what the other one will be. 10 marker on committees would probably be the functions, roles and types of commitees (standing, select, house rules, conference) or if a 30 marker a critical assessment of the powers of committees (reasons why they are powerful vs limitations to their power). Possibly voting pressures (mandate/delegate influences) or the comparative powers of the Senate vs Representatives (constitutional co-equal bicameralism but in reality is the Senate more powerful?), again could be a 10 or a 30 marker, not entiely sure either way.
Reply 223
Original post by soybntree
Yeah im doing all four!! What are you revising most for congress?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Erm the powers of both houses, comparrioson between both houses, committe system (hate this part so hope it doesn't come up) and the legislative process. How about you?

It's quite hard to predict :frown:

Not doing much on representation as that came up in the last paper, and as did impeachment.

Also, a 10 marker was on the powers of the Senate in June 2010, so maybe they'll ask a 10 marker on the powers of the House?
Reply 224
Original post by don_lad_
anything other than separation of powers/checks and balances would be very easy. but i'll still wager it's federalism.

Cant see how their would be an essay on Federalism, i am looking over it anyway, as i think it will be a 10 marker. Cant think of any other possibility.
Original post by Jakeeyy
Cant see how their would be an essay on Federalism, i am looking over it anyway, as i think it will be a 10 marker. Cant think of any other possibility.

there's easily enough for a 30 marker on either evolution of federalism over time (dual, co-operative, new, bush, obama) or advantages and disadvantages! good luck anyway man.
Reply 226
there's easily enough for a 30 marker on either evolution of federalism over time (dual, co-operative, new, bush, obama) or advantages and disadvantages! good luck anyway man.

Prefer a good old, a constitution is flexible, can go into more detail and use a lot more examples. What do you need from this exam?
The thing with federalism essays for me is there is no clearcut argument as such. Contrast this to the standard "how easy is it to amend the constitution" which of course is written differently each year so far and it is just simply, formal amendment process; supreme court interpretation; conventions; popular amendments/ordinary law never appealed to the Supreme Court.
Reply 228
Original post by PVisitors
The thing with federalism essays for me is there is no clearcut argument as such. Contrast this to the standard "how easy is it to amend the constitution" which of course is written differently each year so far and it is just simply, formal amendment process; supreme court interpretation; conventions; popular amendments/ordinary law never appealed to the Supreme Court.

I know. So easy. For interpretation would you say how judges have been able to make rulings against the constitution without actually making amends like Plessy Vs Ferguson and Roe Vs Wade? Judgements were made against the constitution but no formal amendment was made.
Original post by Jakeeyy
Prefer a good old, a constitution is flexible, can go into more detail and use a lot more examples. What do you need from this exam?

yeah that'd be cool as well but a federal curveball is headed our way, you read it here first.
um ****all to be honest, only need about 40% if that to get an A overall. but i'd like A*. what about you?
Reply 230
yeah that'd be cool as well but a federal curveball is headed our way, you read it here first.
um ****all to be honest, only need about 40% if that to get an A overall. but i'd like A*. what about you?

40%? Thats crazy! I need 75% for an A overall :frown:
Original post by Jakeeyy
40%? Thats crazy! I need 75% for an A overall :frown:

yeah i know, pretty chilled. only needed 20% in my history exam haha. that'll be fine man! good luck with it
Reply 232
yeah i know, pretty chilled. only needed 20% in my history exam haha. that'll be fine man! good luck with it

Same for you, hoping for a good exam. I have offers to meet haha.
Federalism they said. It will 100% come up they said. :colonhash:
Reply 234
Original post by HeyyImRyan

:frown:
To be fair there was a lot you could have said about Federalism decreasing limits on federal government

Reply 236
Original post by HeyyImRyan

That made me laugh haha

Reply 237
I thought legislature was better than executive, not feeling too great about this one :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire
Reply 238
What the hell were the 10 mark questions for the constitution and the supreme court? -.- supreme court 30 marker was good though :smile:

Reply 239
That exam went OK, just glad to be finally done, now.

Avoided the Constitution question because I wasn't 100% of either answer, so I did the Presidency and the Supreme Court.

I said iron triangles were decreasing in significance because of politicians such as John McCain calling the departments/committees/groups out on the nature of their relationship leading to bad press. I also said they were one of the main problems with the federal bureaucracy.
I said presidential power was cyclical and basically went into a narrative of the impact each president from Nixon onwards had on the power to show that whilst Presidents may damage the office the harm is never permanent.

I said the entrenched rights were the 'inalienable rights of man' mentioned in the declaration of independence that the Supreme Court is dedicated to protecting, as has been seen when they protected the freedom of expression in the burning of the American Flag. I also said that there has been an increased spread of these rights, as shown through Brown v. the Board.
I said that all decisions are fundamentally political, which is how people claim that the Supreme Court is overtly political - though people only complain when they disagree with the decisions made by the Supreme Court. I said that the 2000 case was a rare exception, and that the independence of the Court was proved by 3 of the 4 Judges Nixon appointed voting against him.

I might scrape an A if I'm lucky, I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending