The Student Room Group

AQA A2 US Politics thread (Units 3A 11th and 4A 14th)

Scroll to see replies

Oh flip, I put Romney won the 2012 Iowa Caucus >.> DAMMIT. Knew something was going too well...
Reply 61
Original post by Mani Katti
Oh flip, I put Romney won the 2012 Iowa Caucus >.> DAMMIT. Knew something was going too well...

argh no I forgot about the recount! I did exactly the same :frown:
Reply 62
I was rather pleased about how it went initially, but thinking back there's a lot more I could have said. Gutted! Oh well, I still have GOV4a to redeem myself, and at least I have the next few days to cram a little more. Positive thoughts! :smile:
Reply 63
I was reasonably happy with how the exam went; I went for elections and pressure groups.

I was very hash about the caucus system, and said it lacked little significance (e.g. McCain in 2008 lost the Iowa caucus, but went on to win the nomination). Caucuses are also often held in rural states, with little population meaning they have few delegates. Turn out is extremely small, and often only attended by partisan voters and extremists (why Ron Paul does so well) so not representative of ordinary voters.

Electoral College question was reasonably good. Wrote paragraphs on the good aspects and bad; two horse race, unfair to third parties, gives small states a voice, winner-takes-all (e.g. Bush, 2000), rogue electors. But I used another paragraph to talk about possible reforms; Maine System, Automatic Plan, and Popular Vote. Concluded that the Electoral College is a waste of time, and needs to be urgently reformed!

US political culture and pressure groups question was broad, main points were; access points, weak party system, independent Congress, pluralist democracy/Dahl's arguments. You could have written an essay on this question.

Pressure groups achieving their aims was an okay question; money, membership, insider groups/outsider groups, iron triangle, revolving door syndrome, grass roots activities. However, went on to say the aims of pressure groups vary widely; and what some see as success over groups wouldn't.

Overall, the paper was alright but there was too much to write about!
So what about 4A on Thurs? Anyone got any advice in terms of learning examples or case studies?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 65
Anyone got any predictions for unit 4?

This was the last (June 2011) paper:

Topic 1 The Constitutional Framework of US Government

0 1 Examine the process involved in amending the US Constitution. (10 marks)

0 2 ‘The separation of powers hinders effective government in the USA.’
Discuss. (30 marks)

Topic 2 The Legislative Branch of Government: US Congress

0 3 Explain the significance of the advice and consent powers of the US Senate. (10 marks)

0 4 Assess the view that political parties have grown in importance in the US Congress.
(30 marks)

Topic 3 The Executive Branch of Government

0 5 Explain the main elements of bureaucratic power in US government. (10 marks)

0 6 ‘The president only has the power to persuade.’ Discuss. (30 marks)

Topic 4 The Judicial Branch of Government: The Supreme Court

0 7 Explain the principle of judicial independence in US government. (10 marks)

0 8 Evaluate the role of the Supreme Court in protecting the rights and liberties of US citizens. (30 marks)
Original post by av_kidd
Anyone got any predictions for unit 4?

I made some predictions for paper 3 after looking at past questions and trends. I predicted that they might have gone for Electoral College for a 30 mark question as the last time AQA asked it was in January 2010. Again, the 'high abstention' hasn't been asked either, apart from the Specimen paper. For History I made predictions in a similar way and I turned out to be correct.

Therefore for the question on the Executive it could be how powerful is the President by a quote such as "the President is effectively unrestrained. Discuss" (i.e. the Specimen paper) or the other way around. Then you can refer to foreign policy and comparative weaknesses in domestic policy (similar to June 2010 & 11). My teacher did say it was likely it be on presidential power. For the 10 mark question it could be on the cabinet (i.e. how he chooses it) or define a key term from the specification.

For the Supreme Court they asked a question on judicial ideology two years ago, and how well they protect rights one year ago. The Specimen asked a question on whether they are "politicians in robes", so it could be that, or even possibly how powerful justices are / "are they too powerful?" For the 10 mark question it could be to define a key term (I doubt it's the nomination process as it did come up before, twice: Specimen and June 2010).

The Constitution is harder to predict, there could be a 30 mark question based on its amendment process with a quote. Edexcel also do this course (4C), obviously they may have a different specification, but I downloaded some questions to help with revision so it's worth a look.

I'm not too sure on the Legislature either, and it's not my best topic so I haven't really revised it and I focus on the other three.

Don't take my word for it, they're just attempted "educated" guesses and I could be completely wrong! For some questions there are few things they can ask you on for a 30 mark question so you can revise according to themes. But do cover the entire specification.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by politics_student
I made some predictions for paper 3 after looking at past questions and trends. I predicted that they might have gone for Electoral College for a 30 mark question as the last time AQA asked it was in January 2010. Again, the 'high abstention' hasn't been asked either, apart from the Specimen paper. For History I made predictions in a similar way and I turned out to be correct.

Therefore for the question on the Executive it could be how powerful is the President by a quote such as "the President is effectively unrestrained. Discuss" (i.e. the Specimen paper) or the other way around. Then you can refer to foreign policy and comparative weaknesses in domestic policy (similar to June 2010 & 11). My teacher did say it was likely it be on presidential power. For the 10 mark question it could be on the cabinet (i.e. how he chooses it) or define a key term from the specification.

For the Supreme Court they asked a question on judicial ideology two years ago, and how well they protect rights one year ago. The Specimen asked a question on whether they are "politicians in robes", so it could be that, or even possibly how powerful justices are / "are they too powerful?" For the 10 mark question it could be to define a key term (I doubt it's the nomination process as it did come up before, twice: Specimen and June 2010).

The Constitution is harder to predict, there could be a 30 mark question based on its amendment process with a quote. Edexcel also do this course (4C), obviously they may have a different specification, but I downloaded some questions to help with revision so it's worth a look.

I'm not too sure on the Legislature either, and it's not my best topic so I haven't really revised it and I focus on the other three.

Don't take my word for it, they're just attempted "educated" guesses and I could be completely wrong! For some questions there are few things they can ask you on for a 30 mark question so you can revise according to themes. But do cover the entire specification.

Good luck. :smile:

Ah nice one with getting your predictions right for Unit 3! I do the same in most of my exams haha :smile:

I was thinking the same about the Presidency section :smile:

With the Constitution, they asked a 10 marker regarding the ammendment process; 'Examine the process involved in amending the US Constitution. (10 marks)' - however this was only 10 marks and so a 30 marker could appear.

I have a feeling there will be a 30 marker on Federalism for some reason, what do you think? Because that hasn't come up yet, and is quite a big section in the spec. So it could be something like 'The federal government increasingly dominates the state governments in the US.' Discuss.

Yeah I'm planning to go over everything, but won't focus too much on the seperation of powers, as it was the big question in last years paper.

Thanks, good luck to you too!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by av_kidd

I have a feeling there will be a 30 marker on Federalism for some reason, what do you think? Because that hasn't come up yet, and is quite a big section in the spec. So it could be something like 'The federal government increasingly dominates the state governments in the US.' Discuss.

This is what I think the constitution question will be on as there has never been a question on federalism... and for the supreme court it could be their increasing power and possibly on judicial activism or restraint, I doubt it'll be "politicians sitting on a bench" again though, kind of hope it is!
Reply 69
Original post by sachi
This is what I think the constitution question will be on as there has never been a question on federalism... and for the supreme court it could be their increasing power and possibly on judicial activism or restraint, I doubt it'll be "politicians sitting on a bench" again though, kind of hope it is!

I really hope it is on federalism! :P

Ah I don't think i'll be doing the supreme court - too many cases to remember :tongue:. But tbh, that 'nine politicians sitting on a bench' is a good question lol.
Original post by av_kidd
Ah nice one with getting your predictions right for Unit 3! I do the same in most of my exams haha :smile:

I was thinking the same about the Presidency section :smile:

With the Constitution, they asked a 10 marker regarding the ammendment process; 'Examine the process involved in amending the US Constitution. (10 marks)' - however this was only 10 marks and so a 30 marker could appear.

Yeah I'm planning to go over everything, but won't focus too much on the seperation of powers, as it was the big question in last years paper.

Thanks, good luck to you too!

Federalism is a possibility which I didn't really think about beforehand! So thanks, I'm revising it now. It'd be quite a good question actually. :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by politics_student
Federalism is a possibility which I didn't really think about beforehand! So thanks, I'm revising it now. It'd be quite a good question actually. :smile:

It's cool! :smile:. Haha yeah it would be!
Just did an essay on it now; any points on how/where I could add some synoptic elements to boost my marks?
Reply 72
Only revising the presidency, the supreme court and the constitution for 4A. Thinking this might be a bit risky, but at least I'm not limiting myself to only two of them.

Can anyone explain to me the concept of a 'fundamental law'? I saw it in the specification for the Constitution and don't know what it is.
Reply 73
Original post by Andufus
Can anyone explain to me the concept of a 'fundamental law'? I saw it in the specification for the Constitution and don't know what it is.

I think it's just the constitution is sovereign and lays out the ground work for US laws. (except for the Supreme Court argueably.. )
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by sachi
I think it's just the constitution is sovereign and lays out the ground work for US laws. (except for the Supreme Court argueably.. )

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I was sure the term for that was 'supreme law'... The specification's 'key concepts' are a bit vaguely-worded to be honest. I'm not sure if 'bureaucratic power' means that we need to know the role of the bureaucracy or something else entirely.
for the president is there a chance there will be a 30 marker on the cabinet or federal bureaucracy?
Original post by unknown123
for the president is there a chance there will be a 30 marker on the cabinet or federal bureaucracy?

I hope not...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Seriously hope it's a nice question on the president! I swear I'm only confident on the constitution... better get revising way more!
Reply 78
Original post by unknown123

Our teacher thinks there's only enough for a 10 marker on the Cabinet, but that there could be a 30 marker for the federal bureaucracy - I sincerely hope he's wrong, though!
Hey guys.
I've been revising with past papers on the Constitution and my Politics teacher said it's pretty likely that Federalism may come up as an essay question. Like : "The federal government increasingly dominates the state government in the US. Discuss" There's alot on Federalism in the syllabus but I was looking at AQA mark schemes for past essay questions on Federalism in terms of what to talk about and structure an essay on that question.

I was wondering how you would structure an essay on Federalism and what you would talk about, so e.g Growth and Scope of the Federal Govt in recent years and States rights?
I'm so confused!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending