Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think Chelsea deserved to win?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: Did Chelsea deserve to win the Champions League?
    Yes, they deserved to win
    58.67%
    No, they didn't deserve to win
    41.33%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Well, I don't know about the corruption issues but you could use the Tevez saga as a more definitive proof of an evil of the game. When more and more importance is placed on winning or losing, either in terms of prestige or in pure financial terms, people will seek unfair advantages to benefit from it. Was I surprised to see West Ham sign a player on third party ownership when avoiding relegation meant £50m in the coffers? No. Then you have Portsmouth who managed to make two FA Cup finals, winning one of them, later to be palcedi n administration for cheating at boardroom level. Unlike in Italy where Juventus' titles were stripped and relegation was given, Portsmouth kept their FA Cup and only got given a 10 point reduction. Tbh if I knew what I do now I would never be interested in the sport.
    I am quite the same... only because I have already grown to admire the sport when played well (FC Barcelona are usually an exemplar of how football should be played and a club should be run). International football is a little better, but all the diving and cheating is still there. Clubs seem to all be owned/run by unscrupulous bastards like Abramovitch or that Arab Sheihk who owns Man City. You're right, there are plenty of dodgy things in the EPL even; we just cover them up more. Italian and German scandals got exposed. Spanish clubs don't have too much corruption, but financially they are dire (Real Madrid gets bailed out a lot).

In summary, there's just not a great deal of honour and respectability level in the sport, clubs, the players, or indeed managers and owners. It's a sorry state of affairs.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noldorin)
    Clubs seem to all be owned/run by unscrupulous bastards like Abramovitch or that Arab Sheihk who owns Man City.
    The fact that some clubs have to seek huge sums of money in order to merely compete with others is more of an indictment of how "competitive" the league actually is. Clubs may whore themselves into a commercial brand by playing friendlies abroad, aggressive replica shirt selling in foreign markets, go on the stock market and the likes, but that can invite people buying the club that you'd rather not. Some of it will come part of the globalisation issues with TV coverage but that's where the money is.

People will always use money to seek an unfair advantage, it happens with other sports (e.g. Formula 1) and outside too (e.g. fee paying schools and private health care).

If you want a sport that focuses on honour and sporstmanship etc there's always golf I guess. Unfortunately single player sports never do much for me but the Ryder Cup is good, even if there's still an over emphasis on singles still.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    The fact that some clubs have to seek huge sums of money in order to merely compete with others is more of an indictment of how "competitive" the league actually is. Clubs may whore themselves into a commercial brand by playing friendlies abroad, aggressive replica shirt selling in foreign markets, go on the stock market and the likes, but that can invite people buying the club that you'd rather not. Some of it will come part of the globalisation issues with TV coverage but that's where the money is.

People will always use money to seek an unfair advantage, it happens with other sports (e.g. Formula 1) and outside too (e.g. fee paying schools and private health care).

If you want a sport that focuses on honour and sporstmanship etc there's always golf I guess. Unfortunately single player sports never do much for me but the Ryder Cup is good, even if there's still an over emphasis on singles still.
    That's not really my point. It's these very powerful and huge clubs, with much sway over the populations of cities or countries even, are owned by morally corrupt and degenerate individuals. The fact they are permitted to control the huge clubs is abominable.

That's why FC Barcelona is a shining example of greatness in a depraved sport; not only a superb team, but generally honest and decent players, with respectable managers and most importantly OWNED by its fans. Chelsea is the complete antithesis of this.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    they deserved it for the look on platinis face

PRICELESS
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Isn't that exactly what Usain Bolt did when he was sitting the 100m record?
    He didn't make the race tighter, he just knew that he won the race already and decided to save up for another game to break the record again, same reason why footballers don't sprint the whole match and get themselves so fatigued they can't play the next game as good as they did the last.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noldorin)
    That's not really my point. It's these very powerful and huge clubs, with much sway over the populations of cities or countries even, are owned by morally corrupt and degenerate individuals. The fact they are permitted to control the huge clubs is abominable.

That's why FC Barcelona is a shining example of greatness in a depraved sport; not only a superb team, but generally honest and decent players, with respectable managers and most importantly OWNED by its fans. Chelsea is the complete antithesis of this.
    You just called barcelona having a bunch of decent players, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Sanchez holding his hamstring like it just popped after getting kneed in the back to force a red card. Alves diving like a bitch and going on a stretcher when pepe didn't even touch him to force another red, I've even seen villa dive. They are some of the most classless players I have ever seen on the pitch, and I say this with john terry and drogba in my team with confidence which says it all.

Then you have xavi bitching whenever a team plays defensively like in the world cup and sanchez then being a sore loser and trying to put all the blame on terry getting a red card taking away our victory.

I only respect pique, abidal, messi and guardiola in that team. The rest are a bunch of faggots.

Although I respect the other points you made about the fans owning the club. Also, I'd like to know how di matteo is not a respectful manager? The guy never once talked about himself even when he won the champions league. Enlighten me and i'll shut up and I won't speak on this thread again.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think, on the balance of play, Chelsea did not deserve to win. Not at all.

However, on the balance of the match in general - of course they deserved to win, because... they did win. Bayern Munich engineered a bounty of chances; yet they struggled to finish any of them.

Unfortunately, once a match ends up in a penalty shoot-out, a team's chances of success really boil down to a strange mixture of chance and psychological strength.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Femto)
    Unfortunately, once a match ends up in a penalty shoot-out, a team's chances of success really boil down to a strange mixture of chance and psychological strength.
    I know you support that we won fair and square and deservedly, but this sentence sounds like it was made by a certain head of fifa?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I know you support that we won fair and square and deservedly, but this sentence sounds like it was made by a certain head of fifa?
    Well, firstly I had no idea that Blatter had made that comment.

However, I still stand by what I said because it is true. If you asked any of those players how they felt when they took that penalty in front of, not only a giant german crowd, but also more or less the rest of the world, they'd most likely tell you that converting that penalty isn't just down to how good you are as a football player.

Secondly, I should reinforce that I do think that Chelsea, over the course of the whole match, deserved to win - regardless of a penalty shoot-out or not. And, again, this is simply because Bayern Munich were completely wasteful on the night. It should have been an easy win for them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only respect pique, abidal and guardiola in that team. The rest are a bunch of faggots.
    Puyol?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    He didn't make the race tighter, he just knew that he won the race already and decided to save up for another game to break the record again, same reason why footballers don't sprint the whole match and get themselves so fatigued they can't play the next game as good as they did the last.
    Orrrr.....he gets paid for every time he breaks the record.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Puyol?
    He was part of that 'fabregas come back home' brigade. Lost huge respect for him there.
    That would still four people in a team of players if puyol didn't count. Not really decent respectful players. Of course I completely forgot about lionel messi though. 5 out of 11.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Orrrr.....he gets paid for every time he breaks the record.
    Much like Sergey Bubka and possibly Yelena Isinbayeva.

He was part of that 'fabregas come back home' brigade. Lost huge respect for him there.
    That would still four people in a team of players if puyol didn't count. Not really decent respectful players. Of course I completely forgot about lionel messi though. 5 out of 11.
    So was Pique wasnt he?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bryci)
    Much like Sergey Bubka and possibly Yelena Isinbayeva.

So was Pique wasnt he?
    He was but not overboard like xavi said. In fact he even specifically pleaded that the media should stop talking about the story.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footbal...e-their-course
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Puyol is a warrior on the pitch though. It takes a lot for him to go down
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Puyol is a warrior on the pitch though. It takes a lot for him to go down
    Well you complain about other peoples antics off the pitch, john terry before this year wasn't really a **** on the pitch either(just off the pitch) but he was still considered as scum and unclassy before the ferdinand case happened.

You know what I'll even take back my puyol comment, either way, barcelona aren't the pretty fairies people believe they are, they sure act like fairies when they're touched though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well you complain about other peoples antics off the pitch, john terry before this year wasn't really a **** on the pitch either(just off the pitch) but he was still considered as scum and unclassy before the ferdinand case happened.

You know what I'll even take back my puyol comment, either way, barcelona aren't the pretty fairies people believe they are, they sure act like fairies when they're touched though.
    I know what you mean. But there's a difference between getting a player to join your club and calling some a black **** and cheating on your teammate's wife (or even your brother's wife which i think is much worse but no one says anything about giggs)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H903)
    No team that buys trophies with money deserves to win.
    By this West Ham should be the dominant London side.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can we have a clarification of what 'deserving' to mean actually constitutes? I only ask because I find it difficult to accept that a side can play within the rules of the game and not 'deserve' to win. Each team has their own agenda, and as long as this agenda doesn't subvert the Laws of the Game, I think it's hard to objectively argue that they didn't 'deserve' to win.

What I believe we're seeing here is an obsession over aesthetics, and promoting aesthetics as being a contributory factor in whether a team 'deserves' to win. I don't think this is the case, and I think that we're allowing the way a team plays to dominate all other factors in deciding whether they're 'deserving' winners. I would in fact argue that there are a number of more important factors in contributing to a team being 'deserved' winners.

For example, were Barcelona 'deserving' winners over two legs against Chelsea in 2009? Chelsea scored an incredibly aesthetically pleasing goal and played a true brand of counter-attacking football. Barcelona were fairly uninspired and Chelsea had four strong penalty claims denied. Could one not argue that Barcelona were not 'deserved' winners over two legs then, and, hence, the entire tournament? No-one does, and this is symptomatic of the fixation on the supposed 'quality' of a team's football.

In fact, the entire question is utterly moot because the entire concept of deserving winners is inherently subjective.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.