Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did the Empire take other countries?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Original post:
    One thing I've wondered, once the navy fleet reach their destination what then? Say the UK's navy reached Canada, surely the UK's soldiers from that ship are no match to the millions of Canadians?

__

okay so this thread had caused quite a stir. The situation above is hypothetical, which people obviously haven't been able to connect with. My question is simply, when countries launch their navy fleet to invade another country what happens once the fleet has landed on shore?

For example, during the Spanish Armada why couldn't Britain just have let the armada reach British shores and killed the 35k Spaniards on British land? Because the UK had 100ks of soldiers, and were fighting on homeland.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

There was no such thing as Canada when British colonists arrived. Just various tribes scattered sparsely across the land. It started off with trading posts and trapping camps, villages and towns sprung up, eventually there were enough people to organise them together into proper colonies with governance. There was no concentrated campaign to conquer the land, there was plenty available. It also helped that the French got there first and we took over their colonies, so a lot of the initial work was already done.

It was much the same for other colonies too. A gradual process of sending traders and missionaries, with colonial government following later, the East India Company which evolved into the British Raj being the most prominent example. There were some offensive military campaigns, such as the Zulu War, but most were in response to Native uprisings.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    To my (limited) knowledge, much of the Empire's work was done by the people it was conquering! I think in various parts of Africa we/they just played the local tribes off one another, exploiting their traditional alliances and enmities - "we will give you guns and then you win your ancient war with the Oombieboopie tribe!" And then before the locals knew it, the Oombieboobie tribe's land was suddenly full of British people, and the Oombieboopie's enemies were subordinated and dependent on British trade.

I could be completely wrong, but I think that was at least one method which the Empire employed.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Much like the Romans, thinking about it...
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patriot Rich)
    Oh dear.

There was no such thing as Canada when British colonists arrived. Just various tribes scattered sparsely across the land. It started off with trading posts and trapping camps, villages and towns sprung up, eventually there were enough people to organise them together into proper colonies with governance. There was no concentrated campaign to conquer the land, there was plenty available. It also helped that the French got there first and we took over their colonies, so a lot of the initial work was already done.

It was much the same for other colonies too. A gradual process of sending traders and missionaries, with colonial government following later, the East India Company which evolved into the British Raj being the most prominent example. There were some offensive military campaigns, such as the Zulu War, but most were in response to Native uprisings.
    I'm not talking exclusively to Canada.

Another example is the Spanish Armada.

The fleet reaches British shores, what then? I'm sure the numbers from those ships alone couldn't handle the numbers of British soldiers on land?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    I'm not talking exclusively to Canada.

Another example is the Spanish Armada.

The fleet reaches British shores, what then? I'm sure the numbers from those ships alone couldn't handle the numbers of British soldiers on land?
    Spanish Armada never landed...

Spanish Armada was intended to land with the most professional army in Europe, it was facing a rather ragtag militia of Elizabeth's with a few thousand professional soldiers. It would have been simple to conquer through fear, divide and conquer.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobo389)
    Spanish Armada never landed...
    Do you have any idea what the word "hypothetical" is? ..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've added to the post you quoted. 'What if' history is *******s by the way. Plus, nowhere was it made clear that we were talking hypothetical.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    We had guns, they didn't. Where they had obtained guns they had fewer and ours were newer and better. Simples
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    With lightsabers.

I assume that's 'The Empire', that you're referring to.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a very silly argument... Warfare is much more than just numbers anyway. In the Hundred Years War the English were perpetually outnumbered by the local French, but advanced and predictive tactics proved superior every time. If you added into that sort of situation the incredible difference in technology when it came to the Industrial era expansion of the British, it is easy to see how thousands upon thousands of the indigenous population could be quite simply overcome by a smaller foreign force armed with terrifying "boom sticks". As Frankie Boyle once put quite well, "gun beats spear".
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea what a dickhead is?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They slaughtered the indigenous peoples.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    is this some sort of a joke?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So much fail within this thread, if you know jack **** about a topic, then don't reply to it.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    is this some sort of a joke?
    Omg no..

Here's the hypothetical situation:

The King of Spain launches his fleet, the Spanish Armada with 35k people to attack the UK. The Armada reaches British land. 35k people vs the British army which would be in the hundreds of thousands.

That's what I'm getting at.

When a countries navy invades other countries, how do they secure invasion because obviously they're limited to the ammount they can take to fight the country.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    With the cunning use of flags.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm actually a bit surprised/disappointed that noone's posted this already
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Omg no..

Here's the hypothetical situation:

The King of Spain launches his fleet, the Spanish Armada with 35k people to attack the UK. The Armada reaches British land. 35k people vs the British army which would be in the hundreds of thousands.

That's what I'm getting at.

When a countries navy invades other countries, how do they secure invasion because obviously they're limited to the ammount they can take to fight the country.
    But that wasn't how the British Empire was built... are you actually that retarded?!

When a country annexed another country chances are that there was a considerable amount of claim that the invading country had. The only problem that they were ever faced with was the nobility, the peasentry never posed much of a risk to the military. I think you lack the slightest bit of knowledge about history, I'd advise finding some way to educate yourself over topics like this instead of making a fool of yourself, if you are really that interested.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    With the cunning use of flags.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm actually a bit surprised noone's posted this already
    Was also going to post this :ahee:
    Great minds think alike, it would seem
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    But that wasn't how the British Empire was built... are you actually that retarded?!

When a country annexed another country chances are that there was a considerable amount of claim that the invading country had. The only problem that they were ever faced with was the nobility, the peasentry never posed much of a risk to the military. I think you lack the slightest bit of knowledge about history, I'd advise finding some way to educate yourself over topics like this instead of making a fool of yourself, if you are really that interested.
    I'm predicted an A in my A Level History, and got an A* at GCSE so okay bro.

And you've not in the slightest answered my question, in context of my hypothetical situation about the Spanish Armada.

I'll also add, the "Say" in the first post suggests hypothetical.
Updated: May 21, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.