The Student Room Group

Should I drop out? Feeling rather worthless and confused.

I came to Swansea University in September 2011 to study Biology. I quickly realised it wasn't the course for me and swapped to Ancient History. However I now regret that, as I feel I partly did it in order to please my father who is an avid historian.

For the past few months I've been feeling as if I'm in the wrong place studying the wrong thing, and it's really been getting me down. I enjoy Ancient History a lot more than I enjoyed Biology, however I still don't feel it's the right degree for me. English Literature was always my favourite subject in school.
Basically I feel like I've just screwed everything up and I'm not sure whether I should drop out and start afresh.

I got A*AA at A-Level and so am fairly confident I'd received offers if I were to re-apply.
I've spoken to my tutor, a financial advisor, a careers advisor, a welfare advisor and a counsellor but I still feel lost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading.
Reply 1
If you really do feel that way I think firstly you need to heavily research the english courses on offer from the good universities then decide would you enjoy the modules, what sort of career you would have after and maybe see if there are any joint honour degrees out there you may like.
Reply 2
I think definitely reapply, there is no use spending time doing something you don't particularly enjoy, and no use doing it to please someone else. Also, with A-levels like that you have a good shot at doing whatever you want, and at a lot of really great universities. This isn't meant in any way to be offensive about Swansea uni, but with grades like that why wouldn't you have applied to the russell group unis? I can understand not oxbridge, but you may as well apply to a uni with an excellent reputation.
I agree with luxray, definitely put in the research to discover exactly which english course you would like to study and at which university, it took me nearly two years to finally set my heart on my uni course (tho ironically it's what I wanted to do in the first place). Put in the effort now, get your ucas done and sent off, and good luck!
Reply 3
The fact that around half of your posts are new threads asking what you should do and saying you're unhappy suggests that TSR is - in fact - of very little help to you. You're in a good position in that you've only done one year so your finance isn't a problem. I don't think anyone else can offer any more advice really; how on earth can we tell if you're going to be happy?
You should take a year out, clear your head and then your decision should come naturally :smile:
You got A*AA and you're studying at Swansea? WTF
Reply 6
Original post by DeltaVega28
I came to Swansea University in September 2011 to study Biology. I quickly realised it wasn't the course for me and swapped to Ancient History. However I now regret that, as I feel I partly did it in order to please my father who is an avid historian.

For the past few months I've been feeling as if I'm in the wrong place studying the wrong thing, and it's really been getting me down. I enjoy Ancient History a lot more than I enjoyed Biology, however I still don't feel it's the right degree for me. English Literature was always my favourite subject in school.
Basically I feel like I've just screwed everything up and I'm not sure whether I should drop out and start afresh.

I got A*AA at A-Level and so am fairly confident I'd received offers if I were to re-apply.
I've spoken to my tutor, a financial advisor, a careers advisor, a welfare advisor and a counsellor but I still feel lost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

Do what feels right, drop out and just go for it! You'll regret if it you don't and, I hate saying this phrase but I will, you only live once!
Reply 7
Original post by Harry Styles
You got A*AA and you're studying at Swansea? WTF

Oiy! Don't diss Swansea.
Reply 8
I second the suggestion of a year out. But try to get a job for at least half of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending