The Student Room Group

How important are open days?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether medical schools note applicants who attend their open days for the application process? I am a re-applicant to medicine and I only gained an interview at one medical school last time and that happened to be the only one where I attended their open day. Obviously I'd make the effort to visit the Universities before going to an interview, should one be offered, but I feel it'll be pricey and time consuming to visit all of the possible Uni's I might apply to at this stage (I will await UKCAT results before finalising the four).

Thanks!
Original post by medictobe
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know whether medical schools note applicants who attend their open days for the application process? I am a re-applicant to medicine and I only gained an interview at one medical school last time and that happened to be the only one where I attended their open day. Obviously I'd make the effort to visit the Universities before going to an interview, should one be offered, but I feel it'll be pricey and time consuming to visit all of the possible Uni's I might apply to at this stage (I will await UKCAT results before finalising the four).

Thanks!

Well I never went to the open days at the places I received offers/interviews at. I think open days are important though if you want to get a sense of where you are going to be studying/living for the next 4/5/6 years but I don't think it has an effect on the application process. Saying that, I was asked in one of my interviews if I had attended the open day at that particular university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I want to know this as well.

I'd love to go to Graduate-Entry open days, but lots of them are in June/ July when I'm working abroad. I can't get out of it because, quite frankly, I need the money! :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by medictobe
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

No, this wouldn't be fair. As said above they are really helpful for you to decide where you want to apply, but the uni can't penalise you for not attending one as, for example, you may have had prior commitments on then all and decided to wait for interview, or simply not had the money to travel there.

They may ask you as said above but I assume that's just as a start to ask questions or so they can let you know something you may find helpful. If they kept a record they wouldn't need to ask either!

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 4
I didn't go to any and it doesn't seem to have affected my application. Important to know why you want to go there though and that it's somewhere that you'd like to study.

Quick Reply

Latest