Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RIP Robin Gibb , and the last of the great music as we know it.

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I grew up to the sound of my parents singing along to the BeeGees, with the cassette being worn down in the car every Saturday morning. My dad singing along to 'How deep is your love', whilst driving me to gymnastics.

The last of the greats are passing away

RIP Robin Gibb .

For you young'uns

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Love the Bee Gees! He has had a long stuggle with his health though, he is in a better place R.I.P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh...

I'm somehow shocked, the way he overcame so much illness was incredible and made me begin to believe he was invincible, such a shame.

Don't get the title of this thread, though...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betacra)
    Oh...

I'm somehow shocked, the way he overcame so much illness was incredible and made me begin to believe he was invincible, such a shame.

Don't get the title of this thread, though...
    What don't you get about the title? Noone makes great music like this anymore, this era is rapidly dying away, one of the greatest eras of music. Soon we are just going to be left with so called 'music' that is being created today.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    What don't you get about the title? Noone makes great music like this anymore, this era is rapidly dying away, one of the greatest eras of music. Soon we are just going to be left with so called 'music' that is being created today.
    Whatever, believe what you want but music is THRIVING.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whatever, believe what you want but music is THRIVING.
    In other areas, yes, but in disco? If you consider Bieber and 1D thriving :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Should of stated that in your title.

Get comfortable, the future mainstream is going to be saturated with prepubescent boys that young girls can froth at the mouth over.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of very good music about today, don't use your own ignorance to mask that.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    A lot of very good music about today, don't use your own ignorance to mask that.
    Read my latest comment and conversation with Betacra.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is really sad that he lost his battle with that horrible disease.

But "the last of great music"? reallly?!!!
    I mean... reaaaaaally?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should of stated that in your title.

Get comfortable, the future mainstream is going to be saturated with prepubescent boys that young girls can froth at the mouth over.
    Because it was never like that before!
    Oh wait

Anyway, so sad about Robin Gibb
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Disco sucks!" - Ken Miller, circa 1980
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    First Donna Summer, now Robin Gibb tragedy for music.

Both brilliant people, Robin RIP
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:

Mega mega sad. I wrote on my blog the other day after the death of Donna Summer that we may just keep seeing the deaths of the most special, groundbreaking and exceptional generation of popstars.

R.I.P

Gonna go play How Deep Is Your Love :moon:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)

Mega mega sad. I wrote on my blog the other day after the death of Donna Summer that we may just keep seeing the deaths of the most special, groundbreaking and exceptional generation of popstars.

R.I.P

Gonna go play How Deep Is Your Love :moon:
    Id like to read your blog, got a link?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Id like to read your blog, got a link?
    Yeah sure It's in my sig under musical stuff - midskankingnatty.tumblr.com

I will probably write up something about Robin Gibb when I finish my exam tomorrow!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    "Disco sucks!" - Ken Miller, circa 1980
    Classic Freaks and Geeks.

In all truthfulness, I'm not a big disco fan, but losing someone with the song writing ability of Gibb is a big loss. Good to see him working until his final days as well, with the classical work he was doing in relation to the Titanic anniversary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billybo_h)
    Classic Freaks and Geeks.

In all truthfulness, I'm not a big disco fan, but losing someone with the song writing ability of Gibb is a big loss. Good to see him working until his final days as well, with the classical work he was doing in relation to the Titanic anniversary.
    the bee gees wrote their pop music right through disco and obviously have a couple of huge disco hits, but to just dismiss them as disco is ridiculous. they wrote from the 1950s, and really I guess you would just say they wrote soul music. And gibb happened to be one of the greats. very sad about this. fond memories of them from my childhood.

edit - i didn't mean you were dismissing them as disco.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeah there is, there's a huge disco type scene that's been going on for years with soulful disco/house etc. it just doesn't look like it used to and you probably don't notice/recognise the influences. but its really all just part of the same family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__21AswklI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNRKkrAUyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iZh5lV13M
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So thick. I don't see why people post stupid **** about music when it's clear you have no idea about music. If you like disco then how it has developed since the time of the Bee Gees is so good.

Sad loss, as he was a true icon in his day. But Donna Summer and now this!

(Original post by Mister Dead)
    yeah there is, there's a huge disco type scene that's been going on for years with soulful disco/house etc. it just doesn't look like it used to and you probably don't notice/recognise the influences. but its really all just part of the same family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__21AswklI0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNRKkrAUyk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iZh5lV13M
    Agree with this, same your opinion was wrong on the football

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.