Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who was right?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you were overtired and lost your rag too easily.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are in the right. Its just a retail job so there is literally no point in taking it seriously and actually pretending to care. At 4 I would have just gone home. Would not have even asked. Retail take the piss with student workers and you wouldn't be able to leave 15 minutes early if you asked so don't stay 15 minutes. They don't care about you so don't go out of your way for them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bide_your_time)
    You are in the right. Its just a retail job so there is literally no point in taking it seriously and actually pretending to care. At 4 I would have just gone home. Would not have even asked. Retail take the piss with student workers and you wouldn't be able to leave 15 minutes early if you asked so don't stay 15 minutes. They don't care about you so don't go out of your way for them.
    I agree. The middle aged women there close their till and leave dead on the dot, even if there are no other tills open, and nobody says anything because they're scared to lose them. Retail jobs take the piss out of students because they have the upper hand in the power balance.

To those saying I'm acting like a spoilt brat and I should be grateful I have a job, why should I? I honestly can't understand why I should just take a load of **** and be exploited just because I have a job and others don't. So workers rights should just be broken because there aren't many jobs around? By the way, this is the only time I've actually got annoyed by it - it has happened before. I wasn't told then either, just left alone at the other side of the store and I had to ring down to the supervisor to see what was going on.

Also, there were other people who could've covered me until the other girl got back. Even the supervisor could've jumped on for 5 minutes to let me go.

The job is **** and I don't like it because of the working conditions to be honest, so I still feel I had every right to get pissed off. They keep people on temporary for 11 months so they can legally sack them without any reason and job security is laughed off with "work hard and you won't get sacked" despite my brother working hard there for 4 months and getting sacked for no reason. The job has no respect for me, so I pay it no respect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedaus)
    I agree. The middle aged women there close their till and leave dead on the dot, even if there are no other tills open, and nobody says anything because they're scared to lose them. Retail jobs take the piss out of students because they have the upper hand in the power balance.

To those saying I'm acting like a spoilt brat and I should be grateful I have a job, why should I? I honestly can't understand why I should just take a load of **** and be exploited just because I have a job and others don't. So workers rights should just be broken because there aren't many jobs around? By the way, this is the only time I've actually got annoyed by it - it has happened before. I wasn't told then either, just left alone at the other side of the store and I had to ring down to the supervisor to see what was going on.

Also, there were other people who could've covered me until the other girl got back. Even the supervisor could've jumped on for 5 minutes to let me go.

The job is **** and I don't like it because of the working conditions to be honest, so I still feel I had every right to get pissed off.
    You clearly hate it there, and don't care enough about it to work there, I doubt you're mature enough to handle it.

When I first read this, I thought you had a point, I assumed you were overtired and wanted to vent, but that's clearly not the case.
    I think your response just now clearly highlights that you probably haven't told the full story, and that you see you did nothing wrong.

I work in a pub, I do day and night shifts on my own, and even when it's busy, and I'm rushed off my feet, I do whatever it takes to make the customers enjoy their drink. While pouring people's drinks, I take more orders, all while scanning for who's next, it's the service industry. I don't complain when I'm busy on my own and my manager comes up for a pint, it's my job to do it, and I'm glad I have it.

I regularly work unpaid overtime, as if I ever need a bit of help with shifts, it comes easy. I came in two hours early and worked a two people shift on my own once just because there was no-one else, and I managed to get my birthday and two weeks holiday this summer, it does pay off.

I'd quit if I was you, let them get someone in who will want to work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

So, I huffed and puffed
    And you did blow the house down.

Can't believe your making all that fuss over 10 minutes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    >Is 'exploited' by being asked to stay 10 minutes.
    >First World Problems.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you. Don't let anyone take you for a dick.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

The job is **** and I don't like it because of the working conditions to be honest, so I still feel I had every right to get pissed off. They keep people on temporary for 11 months so they can legally sack them without any reason and job security is laughed off with "work hard and you won't get sacked" despite my brother working hard there for 4 months and getting sacked for no reason. The job has no respect for me, so I pay it no respect.
    Why come on here and ask if we think you are in the wrong when you have no intention of even considering that you might have been wrong? Grow up, you sound like an absolutely terrible employee and are going to get a real shock when you move into the real world.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd better get used to jobs like that if you want to behave like that. You won't stay long in a professional environment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Why come on here and ask if we think you are in the wrong when you have no intention of even considering that you might have been wrong? Grow up, you sound like an absolutely terrible employee and are going to get a real shock when you move into the real world.
    I'm perfectly happy to accept other's views, that's why I posted the topic. I'm just conflicting that view with my own as a debate. I object to being called a spoilt brat by that guy and terrible employee by you though. I actually do work hard, I just don't like to be pushed around.

By the way, today, it was put behind us and we both said sorry for being rude to each other, but also that we both felt we were right.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually do work hard, I just don't like to be pushed around.
    And this is my issue with your entire stance. You actually view being asked to cover your post for all of fifteen or so minutes as "being pushed around".
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly happy to accept other's views, that's why I posted the topic. I'm just conflicting that view with my own as a debate. I object to being called a spoilt brat by that guy and terrible employee by you though. I actually do work hard, I just don't like to be pushed around.

By the way, today, it was put behind us and we both said sorry for being rude to each other, but also that we both felt we were right.
    In my opinion having zero flexibility and kicking up a fuss when asked to stay behind for 10 minutes to cover for someone makes you a bad employee. And you certainly weren't pushed around.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think the supervisor was right, its common sense to have to wait for another member of staff to come and relieve you before you can leave, regardless of your job. in both the jobs i have had ive stopped behind for longer than i should because they needed me to and it is worth it in the long run to have a pleasant environment. if your supervisors/boss sees that you are willing to stay behind for a little bit longer than you should do then it makes them more agreeable to shift changes, giving you extra hours, being more flexible with you if you have to leave early for something, and also if worst comes to the worst and they have to lose staff they will more likely pick the ones who are willing to stay longer and work with others than the stroppy one who huffs and puffs at having to stay an extra 10 minutes (not saying it will happen but that is my views on it). the only other alternative would have been to say that the girl could only have 20 minutes for a break, just because she was too busy to get away earlier, its not fair either way but sometimes theres nothing else that can be done and its the only way to work it.

iv done 12 hour shifts before and because i was comforting a parent up in theatre iv stayed an extra hour and a half, leaving at 10:30pm instead of 9pm when i started at 7:30am. iv also stayed behind for an extra hour at my only paid job, for no overtime, because a parent was running late and couldnt get there to pick her son up, its not like we can just leave the kid and say "well im supposed to finish now so im off", i see retail as similar, you cant just leave a till when there are other customers, just cos your shift ends, especially just for the sake of 10 minutes, sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what they ask of you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You were definitely wrong. An extra 15 minutes is nothing, be thankful you even have a job.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattCunnelly)
    You were definitely wrong. An extra 15 minutes is nothing, be thankful you even have a job.
    This is what the supervisor said. I am thankful I have a job, I just don't want to get a reputation as someone who will do anything they expect like some people there are. A girl worked one day for five hours out of a 9 hour shift without getting a break or a lunch. Is that showing commitment? No, that's being exploited because she's weak and is scared to ask for a break.

I figure from now on people won't go (imagine my name is actually Tedaus) "Get Tedaus to stay a bit longer. He won't moan", and instead will go "Oh Tedaus won't do it, he moaned last time".
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what the supervisor said. I am thankful I have a job, I just don't want to get a reputation as someone who will do anything they expect like some people there are. A girl worked one day for five hours out of a 9 hour shift without getting a break or a lunch. Is that showing commitment? No, that's being exploited because she's weak and is scared to ask for a break.

I figure from now on people won't go (imagine my name is actually Tedaus) "Get Tedaus to stay a bit longer. He won't moan", and instead will go "Oh Tedaus won't do it, he moaned last time".
    And when you need help, they'll go "nah, Tedaus isn't a teamplayer, why help him" and leave you to it.

You seem to think that by staying all of 15 minutes without complaint you would've gained a reputation as a push-over. I really don't understand this line of reasoning. If anything you would've got a reputation as someone who helps out when its needed and doesn't whine. Instead, you've shown you're not committed to the job, you don't respect authority and you're one of the weaker links in the chain.

And really, she worked all of 5 hours without a break?! Heaven forbid! I have no words. I'm surprised she's still alive after that. [/sarcasm]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    And when you need help, they'll go "nah, Tedaus isn't a teamplayer, why help him" and leave you to it.

You seem to think that by staying all of 15 minutes without complaint you would've gained a reputation as a push-over. I really don't understand this line of reasoning. If anything you would've got a reputation as someone who helps out when its needed and doesn't whine. Instead, you've shown you're not committed to the job, you don't respect authority and you're one of the weaker links in the chain.

And really, she worked all of 5 hours without a break?! Heaven forbid! I have no words. I'm surprised she's still alive after that. [/sarcasm]
    You seem to want to agree with them no matter what because you've got the idea that you don't like me based on some forum posts. Five hours without a break or lunch is unreasonable and you know it.

By the way, they still ask me in for over time because I'm hard working, good with customers and am willing to help when they ask and pay me. When they take the piss is when I object.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you were wrong. Why are you considered old enough to have a job but still have self-declared huffs and puffs and throw around phrases "your rights"..? This is the world of work. Retail, presumably. You have no "rights". All aboard now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemnomnom)
    Personally, I think you were wrong. Why are you considered old enough to have a job but still have self-declared huffs and puffs and throw around phrases "your rights"..? This is the world of work. Retail, presumably. You have no "rights". All aboard now.
    I have no rights? Oh then I was definitely in the wrong! Sorry guys, I admit my mistake of thinking I should be treated well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have no rights? Oh then I was definitely in the wrong! Sorry guys, I admit my mistake of thinking I should be treated well.
    It is somewhat of a harsh reality. How long have you worked there?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.