Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To all the people volunteering at the Olympics...

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you do it for free when there are plenty of Olympics-related paid jobs?
    I am just curious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the paid jobs are full-time and most of us already have full-time jobs. Also none of the paid jobs suited my skillset.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering looks good on your CV, yo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not knocking the paid jobs, and when I first volunteered I thought it would be the sort of job that volunteers would be doing, guiding crowds, selling programs, even litter picking, and I would have been happy to do it (but was hoping that I might be selling programs). But volunteers, we now know don't do theses jobs, they are the paid ones, so what do we do, there is over 500 different roles, from being the guy who runs the music for the syconrised swimming, driving BMW's, helping the Athletes , meeting the VIPS, all are jobs being done by people I have met. So we do it, because it's FUN!
    How do they choose,what role we were offered, it must have been down to what skills we could offer. The easiest way of explaining that is the case of a BMW driver, they are not taught to drive, thats the skill they brought with them, all the traing they were given, was to know who to pick up how to use the radio, (communication) and where the venues were.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Volunteering looks good on your CV, yo.
    Looks better than a PAID job? I really doubt it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    I always think volunteering looks better as it shows that you're not doing it because of money but because you enjoy it. Over the summer when I'm not at uni I tend to do a lot of voluntary work. I would be able to get a paid job but it'd be boring and no where near as fun as the voluntary stuff I do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseyElla)
    I always think volunteering looks better as it shows that you're not doing it because of money but because you enjoy it. Over the summer when I'm not at uni I tend to do a lot of voluntary work. I would be able to get a paid job but it'd be boring and no where near as fun as the voluntary stuff I do.
    Employers seem to stress more paid experience than voluntary experience.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it depends on the job then but in my experience they've always preferred voluntary work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Employers seem to stress more paid experience than voluntary experience
    Not sure where you got that from, as its completely the other way round. I have employed many over the years, and what people do outside their paid job, says more about them than anything else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So, an employer would rather employ someone who has done 100% paid work, over someone who has willingly given up their time and shown commitment for no monetary return?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does, you mong.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do you do it for free when there are plenty of Olympics-related paid jobs?
    I am just curious.
    With that logic, why is there SCs in policing? Why is there anything voluntary when you could be paid?

1) Because it may reward the person doing it.
    2) Because they can say "I volunteered at the Olympics 2012 in London". They just stare at you in amazement.
    3) Anything else you can think of.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    With that logic, 1- why is there SCs in policing? 2- Why is there anything voluntary when you could be paid?

1) Because it may reward the person doing it.
    2) 2-Because they can say "I volunteered at the Olympics 2012 in London". They just stare at you in amazement.
    3) 3- Anything else you can think of.
    1- Because they need related experience to be police officers? :rolleyes:

2- I won't generalise but about the Olympics, they just don't want to spend that much money employing people so they just use "free" workers under the name of volunteering and stuff like "be part of something big" typical story. I mean seriously lol. Who is gonna stare at you in amazement? Your friends who left London because they knew it was gonna be chaotic or your mom because of the workaholic-like extremes you go to get some work experience.

3- Like?

Reward the person? Seriously? It is more the other way round. They need to pay for their own accommodation (it is gonna be painfully expensive or you gonna get it "cheap" and you are gonna be living in ****ty conditions for those weeks) and food (it will be expensive too). I won't mention the prices for train tickets. What reward you get when you are losing so much just for a bloody reference in your CV? Doesn't it sound like a workaholic type?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Of course it does, you mong.
    I wonder then why so many jobs bother to ask for "paid job experience". :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyTink)
    So, an employer would rather employ someone who has done 100% paid work, over someone who has willingly given up their time and shown commitment for no monetary return?
    Yes. Time and commitment does not equal professional (and if you are not paid you cannot seem to be able to call yourself a professional) experience which is what most employers are after.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Time and commitment does not equal professional (and if you are not paid you cannot seem to be able to call yourself a professional) experience which is what most employers are after.
    Wait. you're actually trying to say that to be professional, you need to have been paid for something? Extreme example here, I know, but that would mean you class prostitutes as professionals, surely?
    I still don't see the logic in this claim, I've been volunteering for 6 years now (yes I have a paid job too, I need the money to live) and the experience I've gained from the volunteering meant that I could enter my paid job WITH professionalism already there, so therefore I gained this through my volunteering. Tell me i'm wrong though, I'd LOVE to hear it!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyTink)
    Wait. you're actually trying to say that to be professional, you need to have been paid for something? Extreme example here, I know, but that would mean you class prostitutes as professionals, surely?
    I still don't see the logic in this claim, I've been volunteering for 6 years now (yes I have a paid job too, I need the money to live) and the experience I've gained from the volunteering meant that I could enter my paid job WITH professionalism already there, so therefore I gained this through my volunteering. Tell me i'm wrong though, I'd LOVE to hear it!
    A professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee. In some cultures, the term is used as shorthand to describe a particular social stratum of well educated, mostly salaried workers, who enjoy considerable work autonomy, a comfortable salary, and are commonly engaged in creative and intellectually challenging work.
    It is totally stupid I know, I don't really think there is a logic on it but a rational: money is the way to go. That's how it is (I wish it wasn't though and even if all I have I said so far seems to be against it, I too, consideration-wise, highly value volunteering).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Time and commitment does not equal professional (and if you are not paid you cannot seem to be able to call yourself a professional) experience which is what most employers are after.
    So in your logic, a paid professional is always better than a volunteer? While its possible, as they may have had more time in the job, but not always, take the woman making the teas for the cricket club teas for forty years as a volunteer, and then the spotty 18year old, straight out of school who is being paid to make tea in a cafe, one is a volunteer the other a professional,who makes the better tea? (it is only an example)

and stuff like "be part of something big" typical story. I mean seriously lol.
    YES seriously !

You will not change your mind, whatever logic and replies that you get, You have decided what is right for you, but very many others think differently , 240,000 volunteered to be part of the Olympics, in your mind, they are poor misguided fools for working for nothing, those who applied disagree.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A professional is a person who is paid to undertake a specialized set of tasks and to complete them for a fee. In some cultures, the term is used as shorthand to describe a particular social stratum of well educated, mostly salaried workers, who enjoy considerable work autonomy, a comfortable salary, and are commonly engaged in creative and intellectually challenging work.
    It is totally stupid I know, I don't really think there is a logic on it but a rational: money is the way to go. That's how it is (I wish it wasn't though and even if all I have I said so far seems to be against it, I too, consideration-wise, highly value volunteering).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional
    While we're on the wiki page...here's the flip side "Volunteering is generally considered an altruistic activity, intended to promote good or improve human quality of life. It is considered as serving the society through own interest, personal skills or learning, which in return produces a feeling of self-worth and respect, instead of money. Volunteering is also famous for the skill development, to socialize and to have fun. It is also intended to make contacts for possible employment or for a variety of other reasons."

I disagree with the altruistic statement, simply because I don't believe altruism exists, because like it says, you get self-worth and volunteers usually feel good about what they've done. However, the most valuable part of volunteering is, like it says, skill development, which is what I, and everyone else is gaining through volunteering. I'm not saying I volunteer because I can't get a job, but the amount of jobs that require experience nowadays almost lead many into volunteering. I think it also gives people a sense of professionalism, since as a volunteer, it doesn't make you any less of a staff member than someone who is paid, since we're all human!

I just hope, that when I finish my degree next year employers will look upon, what will be, my 7 years of varied volunteering and 6 years of paid work (ad hoc sales job) and value both as part of the selection process. Whatever wikipedia says, volunteering is extremely valuable both for skill and human development and it gives you opportunities to access other areas. If you want to, think of it as sort of a stepping stone, that's what I do!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder then why so many jobs bother to ask for "paid job experience". :rolleyes:
    No jobs ask for that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.