Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Too many foreign players in premier league?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea just won the champions league but their starting line up had only 4 English players. This is actually quite good by previous standards, where in past years teams have fielded no English players at all or just 1(my own team Arsenal are guilty of this).

I feel too many foreign players is a problem mainly because of the limited talent pool we now seem to have when selecting England team compared to other national teams. The Premier league may be thriving but foreign players are a problem no matter how good it is to watch them. The national football league of a country has to keep its identity.

Obviously many people will argue that on average a English player pales in comparison to one of its foreign counterparts. This is true obviously but I believe this is a result not a cause. In the money dominated football environment of today teams don't want to nurture talent but instead spend big on foreign players and a huge influx of foreigners has happened.

I feel even though money dominates the game there still are governing bodies such as the FA who have the power to change the English game for the benefit of the the national team. They need to stop looking at managers and captaincy problems but actually look at the talent pool available; it definitely is not satisfactory.

Now in the past month or two I have been watching the IPL(Indian Premier league), which is money dominated cricket championship which takes place in India. Even though cricket is a totally different sport I believe football or in particular English premier league can borrow a few ideas from the IPL.

The IPL manages a perfect balance between foreign players and home-grown Indian talent. The reason for this is because each team or franchise is allowed to field a team of up to 4 foreign players - this means in most cases teams field 7 Indian home-grown players with 4 foreign superstars. This keeps the national identity intact but has also in past years helped the Indian Cricket national team(Ipl has had 5 editions thus far.) The national team has recently afters years of failure managed to win 2 major tournaments and risen to become one of the top teams. I believe the ipl has definitely helped as foreign players are a premium and only the best get to play and are not a surplus as seen in the epl. They pass on their expertise to the indian younger players and the Indian players flourish.

This is why I believe a similar rule should be implemented into the English premier league. For example where only up to 4/5, 6 at a push foreign players should be allowed to be fielded in a starting line up. What are your thoughts?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    The argument here too often supposes that the freeing up of labour movement within the EU has been entirely a one-way street. In football, de facto, it pretty well has been that, but this is the fault of those English players who would sooner play for Macclesfield than for Mechelen, Metz, or Molde.

There are more rather than fewer opportunities for English footballers to play top-flight football now. The whole of what's stopping them is that the supporters mightn't speak proper English and you can't get HP sauce.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    The argument here too often supposes that the freeing up of labour movement within the EU has been entirely a one-way street. In football, de facto, it pretty well has been that, but this is the fault of those English players who would sooner play for Macclesfield than for Mechelen, Metz, or Molde.

There are more rather than fewer opportunities for English footballers to play top-flight football now. The whole of what's stopping them is that the supporters mightn't speak proper English and you can't get HP sauce.
    I wholeheartedly agree. English players rarely move to other places to experience foreign teams. This would also be beneficial in the long run but yeah english players want to play here.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You're right, but once the Financial Fair Play rules kick in, most of the teams have a limit on foreign players. I think the one that's currently in place needs every team to list out at least 8 locally trained players.

The German league is the best for youth development, every team has a large number of players coming in from their own ranks. The English youth leagues aren't that bad either, but they don't seem to give all the youngsters the opportunity, loaning them out instead of playing them in the reserves would be a far better idea.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Also consider the fact that when you have a good young English player, generally speaking the media inflates his ego and said footballer ends up at a top team WAY too early and normally becomes a fringe player.
    Secondly, English players are just too expensive. Why would a club buy an English player for £20m when they could get a cheaper foreign player for half that price who could be twice as good? Case in point: Cisse and Darrent Bent. Or even look at Mata/Downing.

And yes, there is also the case that they could go abroad but they do not do so..

The fact is, there are many opportunities for English players, but either their inflated ego gets in the way or they just dont take the chances they have to go abroad.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, there are too many xenophobes in the country.

The IPL is a poor example - India's success does not come from the IPL but the fact that they have a population of a billion, with cricket as their main sport and hundreds of millions of people living in poverty where cricket is an escape. Same happens in South America and the African continent.

The population of England is estimated at a little over 50 million. Half are female, the demographic is heavily weighted to older people, there's is a small number of males who'd qualify in the age range to play - from 16 to 35. England is one of the few nations around the world where so many sports are played, so you lose natural athletes to other sports. Throw in a society where absolute poverty is very low and it leads to very few making the cut to play at the highest level.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    As far as I'm concerned, there are too many xenophobes in the country.

The IPL is a poor example - India's success does not come from the IPL but the fact that they have a population of a billion, with cricket as their main sport and hundreds of millions of people living in poverty where cricket is an escape. Same happens in South America and the African continent.

The population of England is estimated at a little over 50 million. Half are female, the demographic is heavily weighted to older people, there's is a small number of males who'd qualify in the age range to play - from 16 to 35. England is one of the few nations around the world where so many sports are played, so you lose natural athletes to other sports. Throw in a society where absolute poverty is very low and it leads to very few making the cut to play at the highest level.
    What about China or the US?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    What about them? The US do not care about 'soccer' as they play basketball, ice hockey, baseball, american football.

In China, sport has never been a huge part of society in the past. We're only just starting to see a push towards sports so you have a huge increase in snooker, few basketball players and some tennis stars. They did well in the Olympics too.

In fairness, countries like Spain have similar population to England, yet seem to have more/better players but there are for example, significantly more coaches in Spain than in England (can't remember the figures now).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about them? The US do not care about 'soccer' as they play basketball, ice hockey, baseball, american football.

In China, sport has never been a huge part of society in the past. We're only just starting to see a push towards sports so you have a huge increase in snooker, few basketball players and some tennis stars. They did well in the Olympics too.

In fairness, countries like Spain have similar population to England, yet seem to have more/better players but there are for example, significantly more coaches in Spain than in England (can't remember the figures now).
    Also the weather is much better, when I went to Valencia I saw kids playing football for fun out in the sun because it was so nice...
    Having said that, Holland/Germany are both pretty good...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If clubs can afford the best, they will buy the best and not bother with the local equivilent. This is why FFP is coming in. It will encourage clubs to live within their means, which will result in a higher focus being put into acadamy products. The days were teams spend £30-50 million on a player are hopefully numbered, as only teams like Man U, Barca and Real will be able to afford it.

I hope UEFA are tough on clubs that have sugar daddies buying their success.

My only concern with FFP being teams like Man U, Barca and Real will still be able to buy who they want, and no other team will be able to compete. But thats not on discussion...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    If clubs can afford the best, they will buy the best and not bother with the local equivilent. This is why FFP is coming in. It will encourage clubs to live within their means, which will result in a higher focus being put into acadamy products. The days were teams spend £30-50 million on a player are hopefully numbered, as only teams like Man U, Barca and Real will be able to afford it.

I hope UEFA are tough on clubs that have sugar daddies buying their success.

My only concern with FFP being teams like Man U, Barca and Real will still be able to buy who they want, and no other team will be able to compete. But thats not on discussion...
    I think you've mistaken Man City for Man United. United don't have the money to buy whoever they want. This is coming from a United fan, gutted that we might lose out on Hazard.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiddlyWiddly)
    I think you've mistaken Man City for Man United. United don't have the money to buy whoever they want. This is coming from a United fan, gutted that we might lose out on Hazard.

If you ignore the acquisition debt on the club, the revenues of Man Utd would enable it to buy players for circa 30mil.

Man City don't make the revenues from a FFP perspective.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiddlyWiddly)

No, I knew who I was talking about.

Once FFP comes in, City will not have the revenue to maintain their current squad's wages, never mind adding to the squad. If UEFA stick to a hard line on FFP, Cities glory days will be very short.

United's financial problems will straighten out eventually, even if it takes FFP to force them to do it. Once their in the black, their revenue stream is astranomical in comparison to all but Real and Barca, and will be able to out-bid anyone for any player.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I knew who I was talking about.

Once FFP comes in, City will not have the revenue to maintain their current squad's wages, never mind adding to the squad. If UEFA stick to a hard line on FFP, Cities glory days will be very short.

United's financial problems will straighten out eventually, even if it takes FFP to force them to do it. Once their in the black, their revenue stream is astranomical in comparison to all but Real and Barca, and will be able to out-bid anyone for any player.
    Think you are underestimating City.

1) They will have hired lawyers and advisers in order to find a way around the FFP rules. They will not have just spent 1bil to then find out they have breached the rules and can't play in the CL.

2) City's commercial revenue will shoot up now. They have some great names in their squad, numerous poster boys to pin up and the people that become overnight City fans after winning the league title. They'll continue to play 'attractive' football and their support abroad will grow. They have sucess now from FA cup and league title win and more sponsors will want to be associated with City and their winning club.
    Might not reach Utd's in the next couple of years but will grow substantially.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    The US are too busy inventing sports which only they play and claiming they are world champions. Their highest level isn't as dependant on foreign competition.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

1) They will have hired lawyers and advisers in order to find a way around the FFP rules. They will not have just spent 1bil to then find out they have breached the rules and can't play in the CL.

2) City's commercial revenue will shoot up now. They have some great names in their squad, numerous poster boys to pin up and the people that become overnight City fans after winning the league title. They'll continue to play 'attractive' football and their support abroad will grow. They have sucess now from FA cup and league title win and more sponsors will want to be associated with City and their winning club.
    It's looking like City and similar clubs are confident that they can find a way round it. If they weren't they would be slashing their wage bill and selling players.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    It's looking like City and similar clubs are confident that they can find a way round it. If they weren't they would be slashing their wage bill and selling players.
    Exactly - we're looking at Man City, Chelsea, PSG, Malaga, some Russian clubs and then you have the usual suspects like the Italian clubs (eg AC Milan and Inter Milan) and Real Madrid, who all spend massively in short periods.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

If teams can get around FFP (I'm sure a few will at least try) it's disgraceful.

I know Cities revenue will improve with the PL win, but they will not reach the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea in revenue for a while yet.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If teams can get around FFP (I'm sure a few will at least try) it's disgraceful.

I know Cities revenue will improve with the PL win, but they will not reach the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea in revenue for a while yet.
    Why? The FFP rules are designed to stop clubs spending beyond their means to avoid clubs going bankrupt. If someone is willing to provide the funds, and they are the owners of the club - is that really beyond the club's means?

If people want an even playing field, what they need is an organised global cap. Don't care about how it would be done in practice but that's the only way to make it a fair game.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why? The FFP rules are designed to stop clubs spending beyond their means to avoid clubs going bankrupt. If someone is willing to provide the funds, and they are the owners of the club - is that really beyond the club's means?

If people want an even playing field, what they need is an organised global cap. Don't care about how it would be done in practice but that's the only way to make it a fair game.
    Being the play thing of a bored billionaire isn't exactly a sustainable business model though, what happens if the owner gets bored and stops funding?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.