The Student Room Group

Biology B3 Mark Scheme 21/05/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
For 2)a) I wrote 'Sealed with rubber lid to prevent microbes in air from contaminating the mixture, and the nitrogen gas provides nutrient to encourage anaerobic respiration and growth of microbes'

.. is this okay?

*sigh* :frown:

*crawls to corner*
Right here is what i put please be as critical as possible so i get a fair view of what i get. What do you think? i will put the marks available in brackets

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times (1)
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) The increaed heart rate increases the blood flow which means that there is more oxygen and glucose delivered to the muscles which is used for respiration. This increaes the rate of respiration so more energy is released and avaialble to the muscles and they use it to contract. The blood flow allow removes co2 and lactic acid, and limits anaerobic respiation (4)
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions(2)
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases the proportion of methane in the biogas. Also adding the fish fat increases the yield of biogas and methane. Increasing the amount of fish fat increases the yield of biogas and methane (3)
c) It would be too expensive(1)
3 a) Aerobic respiration(2)
ii) So that the Fusarium has better access to the nutrients in the solution and to keep them in suspesion (1)
b) The fusarium would get caught and stuck on the paddles(1)
c) Chicken has more protein(1)
ii) Less fat and less cholesterol(2)
4a)The is a higher concentration of these mineral ions in the roots than in the soil so the mineral ions would need to be moved against a concentration gradient and diffusion is along a concentration gradient from a area of high concentration to a area of low conentration (3)
ii) Active transport(1)
b) i) The root hair cells increase the surface area of the roots(1)
ii) Mitochondria is where repsiration takes place and where energy is released. By having more mitochondria, it means that more respiration takes place and more energy is released that can be used for active transport (2)
iii) The Starch is a carbohyrate store that can be broken down to glucose and to use for repsiration to release energy for active transport (1)
5 a) Urea, salt (2)
b) The glucose is filtered out of the blood in the kidneys. The glucose then goes into the kidney tubule and all of it is reabsorbed by active transport so that none is left in the kindey tubule (3)
c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required (2)

6a) The DAS reduces the amount of fermentation because increasing the DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol produces. Also, increasing the DAS reduces the percentage of maltose used. When there is no DAS all of the maltose, glucose and fructose is used. When there is DAS, the percentage of maltose used declines but the amount of glucose and fructose isn't affected (3)
b) The Maltose molecure is too large so can't fit through the cell membrane (1)
c) The enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed by the yeast as it is small enough, but when DAS is present, no enzyme is released so the maltose isn't broken down and the maltose molecule is too large and can't be absorbed by the yeast. (2)
d) 1.DAS reduces the percentage of alcohol produced (1)
2. DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so materials are wasted or more has to be (1) used

I think i dropped 9 marks= 36/45

I think i dropped marks here:

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times (1)- Lose 1 mark
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions(2)- Lose 2 marks
5 c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required (2)- Lose 2 marks
6a) The DAS reduces the amount of fermentation because increasing the DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol produces. Also, increasing the DAS reduces the percentage of maltose used. When there is no DAS all of the maltose, glucose and fructose is used. When there is DAS, the percentage of maltose used declines but the amount of glucose and fructose isn't affected (3)- Lose 3 marks
6 c) The enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed by the yeast as it is small enough, but when DAS is present, no enzyme is released so the maltose isn't broken down and the maltose molecule is too large and can't be absorbed by the yeast. (2)-Lose 1
Original post by Rishika15
Will I still get a mark for writing 'The heart rate peaks and falls 6 times' for 1)a)i) ?

And 'the fungi would get broken' for 3)b) ?

1)a)i) yes

3)b) is a bit :confused:
Reading that I think i've got 29:-), what will that be in grades?

The paper was alright, a few hard questions at the end.:colondollar:
Original post by Aarongreatbanks
Right here is what i put please be as critical as possible so i get a fair view of what i get. What do you think? i will put the marks available in brackets

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times (1)
ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
b) The increaed heart rate increases the blood flow which means that there is more oxygen and glucose delivered to the muscles which is used for respiration. This increaes the rate of respiration so more energy is released and avaialble to the muscles and they use it to contract. The blood flow allow removes co2 and lactic acid, and limits anaerobic respiation (4)
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions(2)
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Adding fish fat, increases the proportion of methane in the biogas. Also adding the fish fat increases the yield of biogas and methane. Increasing the amount of fish fat increases the yield of biogas and methane (3)
ii) So that the Fusarium has better access to the nutrients in the solution and to keep them in suspesion (1)
4a)The is a higher concentration of these mineral ions in the roots than in the soil so the mineral ions would need to be moved against a concentration gradient and diffusion is along a concentration gradient from a area of high concentration to a area of low conentration (3)
ii) Active transport(1)
ii) Mitochondria is where repsiration takes place and where energy is released. By having more mitochondria, it means that more respiration takes place and more energy is released that can be used for active transport (2)
iii) The Starch is a carbohyrate store that can be broken down to glucose and to use for repsiration to release energy for active transport (1)
5 a) Urea, salt (2)
b) The glucose is filtered out of the blood in the kidneys. The glucose then goes into the kidney tubule and all of it is reabsorbed by active transport so that none is left in the kindey tubule (3)
c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required (2)

6a) The DAS reduces the amount of fermentation because increasing the DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol produces. Also, increasing the DAS reduces the percentage of maltose used. When there is no DAS all of the maltose, glucose and fructose is used. When there is DAS, the percentage of maltose used declines but the amount of glucose and fructose isn't affected (3)
c) The enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed by the yeast as it is small enough, but when DAS is present, no enzyme is released so the maltose isn't broken down and the maltose molecule is too large and can't be absorbed by the yeast. (2)
2. DAS means that most of the malt extract is not used, so materials are wasted or more has to be (1) used

1a) i) The heart rate rises rapidly six times (to a high value) in the thirty minute period meaning they run six times (1)- Lose 1 mark
2 a) The nitrogen is used by the microogranisms for growth, the lid prevents microogransism contaminating the culture and oxygen is removed because fermentation needed anaerobic conidtions(2)- Lose 2 marks
5 c) There is too much glucose to be reabsorbed so not all of it is reabsorbed and the isn't enough energy avialable for all of the active tranpsort required (2)- Lose 2 marks
6a) The DAS reduces the amount of fermentation because increasing the DAS concentration, decreases the percentage of alcohol produces. Also, increasing the DAS reduces the percentage of maltose used. When there is no DAS all of the maltose, glucose and fructose is used. When there is DAS, the percentage of maltose used declines but the amount of glucose and fructose isn't affected (3)- Lose 3 marks
6 c) The enzyme digests maltose into two molecules of glucose which can be absorbed by the yeast as it is small enough, but when DAS is present, no enzyme is released so the maltose isn't broken down and the maltose molecule is too large and can't be absorbed by the yeast. (2)-Lose 1

5a) the salt i'm unsure about? mineral ions are more appropriate :smile:

ii) 2.5 minutes (1)
ii) Carbon dioxide (1)
b) 0.62 (2)
ii) Active transport(1)
5 a) Urea, salt (2)

Original post by michelfish
5a) the salt i'm unsure about? mineral ions are more appropriate :smile:

But it said substances? Mineral ions isn't a substance, it's a group of them

Salt is a substance found in the urine is it not?

How did you think i did
Reply 107
D'ya think it's okay to say ions instead of 'mineral ions' ? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 108
Original post by metaltron
34 for a* ?

What would be a B?
Reply 109
For 2c could you put that fish guts would be expensive to use because the farmer lives quite far from the sea
Reply 110
I wrote that the heart rate increased within 9 to 18 minutes... will i get the mark?
Reply 111
I put urea and water as two substances in urine
Reply 112
For question 3a) would saying aerobic fermentation get me 1 or 2 marks?
Reply 113
Original post by Fordey
I put urea and water as two substances in urine

I think the question asked for 2 substances other than water?

Reply 114
Original post by drhaj
I wrote that the heart rate increased within 9 to 18 minutes... will i get the mark?

You might depends what the boundaries are for that question eg accept answer within 8 to 19
Reply 115
Original post by Welbeck

1 for aerobic. :smile:

Original post by K0ch
What would be a B?

not really, you have to wait for grade boundaries i guess. I'm not expecting it to be too high as not everyone found it easy but just average probably. Maybe 34-36 for an A*? not sure myself, im basing it on how my school found it
For the salt one

It said, water is a substance in the blood.

Name Two other substances found in the urine

1) Urine
2) Salt

Salt is a substance and it's found in the urine surely those two are right?
Reply 118
Original post by Welbeck

I did the same as you and I think it's 1 but I could be wrong.
Reply 119
Remember it asked why there's glucose/starch in a root cell? Or something of the sort! I said, to provide food for the plant? /: mark,no mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending