The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology 2 Higher 21st May Exam

Scroll to see replies

somebody please please lets have some answers coming up???? Some answers to the last question???? answers to the whole paper??? I think i got a B in this exam :redface: UNOFFICAL MARK SCHEME PLEASEEE
Reply 101
Original post by Fas
in terms of grade boundaries, i doubt it will be any lower than 32, i reckon it will be as high as 34 probably . So 32-34 is my estimation for the A* aha :P it wasnt too hard, but also wasnt easy in the slightest, the graph part of the question was challenging, but the last question i thought was alright ? did people get that parents A and B both had the Hh allele, then Cat D had the two possible alleles were HH and Hh and the reason was cos you would need to know the alleles of Cat C in order to judge what alleles Cat D had?

yup, tho the last question i put all the offspring had the disease and therefore we wouldn't be able o guess becasue it was 100%
ahh ok well i assume they will have mutliple answers on the markscheme :smile:
i thought it was a really hard paper :/ it wasn't really testing your knowledge as much as past papers, it was more how you could think on the spot, like there was quite a lot of How Science Works questions
what did u guys put for carbon cycle question???
Original post by Fas
in terms of grade boundaries, i doubt it will be any lower than 32, i reckon it will be as high as 34 probably . So 32-34 is my estimation for the A* aha :P it wasnt too hard, but also wasnt easy in the slightest, the graph part of the question was challenging, but the last question i thought was alright ? did people get that parents A and B both had the Hh allele, then Cat D had the two possible alleles were HH and Hh and the reason was cos you would need to know the alleles of Cat C in order to judge what alleles Cat D had?

Yes, I got the same answer as you for the last question.

I wouldn't be so certain of the grade boundaries you put up though - I've seen them go as low as 26 for an A* (June 2011).
what did u guys put for the capsule question??
Reply 107
Magnesium is the ion needed for plant growth.

Protease and amylase are the other 2 enzymes made in the pancreas.

Insulin is a hormone made in the pancreas.

Grade boundaries:
A* = 32/33
A = 28/29
B = 24/25
i would say that the grade boundries are going to be pretty high - it was a fairly easy paper and for the one in january which was very hard the mark for a* was 32 so for this one i would be going more towards
A*= 36
A= 31
what did people put on the capsule questions for why the lipase cant break down the lipid?
Reply 110
does anyone know what the grade boundaries were for jan 2012 B2?
Yeah I put 'due to chance' for this one, it came up in 2 past papers I think
Lets work on an unofficial mark scheme. I've got some suggestions for question 1 below (I can't remember the order of other questions).

Q1a) What process produces oxygen
-Photosynthesis.

Q1b) Name three variables that had to be controlled in the Pondweed experiment.
-Mass of Pondweed used.
-Intensity/distance of light.
-Temperature of the Water
-Size of test tube?
-Volume of water used?

Q1c) What other factor might a pond owner also need to take into account before buying pondweed (all pondweed costs the same)?
- Survivability/resistance to cold
- Whether or not the pondweed is poisonous to fish.

Q1d) The mineral ion that stops yellow leaves.
- Magnesium
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by LucyW456
what did people put on the capsule questions for why the lipase cant break down the lipid?

i put that the enzyme wasnt in the right pH conditions, i had no clue, mind just went blank:confused:
Reply 114
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME (please edit if im wrong)
1) Photosynthesis
2) control variables 1, amount of water, 2, temperature of water, 3, from the same plant
cant remember..
3) why is this plant cell and not an animal cell. 1, chlorolphyll for photosynthesis, 2, has a vacuole
4) why animal cell? didnt get this i wrote nucleus is in near the middle of the cell?
by the way did anyone get an answer which was the number 21?
Original post by khalidpatel
what did u guys put for the capsule question??

Lipid casing doesn't break down in the stomach or mouth, because there is only protease and amylase secreted.

Lipid breaks down in the small intestine because the duodenum secretes lipase, digesting the lipid casing, and releasing the enzymes.
Reply 116
i said because lipase digests fat
Original post by osama2
i said because lipase digests fat

I assume it was because the enzymes were in the form of dry beads.
Original post by HannahLT96
i would say that the grade boundries are going to be pretty high - it was a fairly easy paper and for the one in january which was very hard the mark for a* was 32 so for this one i would be going more towards
A*= 36
A= 31

I found it similar to the june 2011 paper which I did as a mock - and the a* boundary for that was 26/45.
Reply 119
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Lipid casing doesn't break down in the stomach or mouth, because there is only protease and amylase secreted.

Lipid breaks down in the small intestine because the duodenum secretes lipase, digesting the lipid casing, and releasing the enzymes.

I put that the alkaline solution changes the shape of the cell membrane, allowing the beads out :/

Quick Reply

Latest