The Student Room Group

Are you a royalist or a republican? POLL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JacobW
Now there's an oxymoron! What more can an institution be than an integral part of the constitution?

An institution like the monarchy can be theoretically sovereign rather than confined to constitutional limits. If the Queen were to have any real powers that she hasn't already ceded to the Prime Minister, then there would be a more legitimate argument for a republic.
Reply 141
Original post by Cheese_Monster
An institution like the monarchy can be theoretically sovereign rather than confined to constitutional limits. If the Queen were to have any real powers that she hasn't already ceded to the Prime Minister, then there would be a more legitimate argument for a republic.

Fair enough, in that context it makes sense. I agree that there's no real argument for a republic, but the monarch's powers are delegated to the PM only by convention; in a national emergency, there'd be nothing to prevent her using them.
Original post by JacobW
Fair enough, in that context it makes sense. I agree that there's no real argument for a republic, but the monarch's powers are delegated to the PM only by convention; in a national emergency, there'd be nothing to prevent her using them.

And that's not an incredibly strong argument for a republic?
Original post by Dwayne Hicks
Can you go back to being quiet please?

No :colonhash:
Reply 144
Original post by Joluk
I'm a republican in theory but a royalist in practice. If we were starting from scratch i wouldn't have a monarchy, but our monarchy seems to work pretty well, so why change it?

This is my view completely +1

The whole concept of a monarchy is absurd, since we live in an equal society and how these people are greater and richer than most of us when quite frankly they haven't worked very hard for it annoys me.

On the other hand, I don't mind our current queen. Opinions may change when Charles comes to the throne.
Reply 145
Original post by DaveSmith99
And that's not an incredibly strong argument for a republic?

Correct! It's an excellent argument against a republic. If we elected a BNP majority in 2015 and Herr Griffin tried to pass an Enabling Act, the Queen could veto the legislation, dissolve Parliament, and restore normality. In the event (God forbid) of a revolution, the Queen could exercise discretion to ensure that the country didn't descend into anarchy.
Reply 146
does it annoy anyone else that the republicans are blue and the royalists are red in the poll
Original post by JacobW
Correct! It's an excellent argument against a republic. If we elected a BNP majority in 2015 and Herr Griffin tried to pass an Enabling Act, the Queen could veto the legislation, dissolve Parliament, and restore normality. In the event (God forbid) of a revolution, the Queen could exercise discretion to ensure that the country didn't descend into anarchy.

No she couldn't. If people have allowed it to get to such an extent that the BNP were passing an Enabling Act, they're not going to give a damn whether they Queen agrees or not.

As for revolution, nothing is more likely to see the end of a monarch than an attempt to oppose the people.
Original post by JacobW

So now we have the someone who got her position solely because of birthright dissolving a democratically elected parliament. An elected head of state could do exactly what you said but would have the political mandate to do it.
Original post by anarchism101
No she couldn't. If people have allowed it to get to such an extent that the BNP were passing an Enabling Act, they're not going to give a damn whether they Queen agrees or not.

You have a point - but then in this situation it would appear nothing would stop it. I think a monarch might have a slightly better chance than a president, though.

As for revolution, nothing is more likely to see the end of a monarch than an attempt to oppose the people.

If it were an attempt by the government to do something to destroy democratic government, she could at least have the government dissolved and new elections. Again, if the people were happy with that, nothing would stop it - but a monarchy would stand a better chance of pulling it off.
Original post by gladders
You have a point - but then in this situation it would appear nothing would stop it. I think a monarch might have a slightly better chance than a president, though.

Depends what type of President. You're possibly right in the case of a ceremonial president, but I'd disagree on one with genuine power.

If it were an attempt by the government to do something to destroy democratic government, she could at least have the government dissolved and new elections. Again, if the people were happy with that, nothing would stop it - but a monarchy would stand a better chance of pulling it off.

And if a government ever got to that stage, they'd just ignore her and not have the elections.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I recently saw a poll in the papers suggesting roughly 80% of the British public supported the monarchy; there seems to be a far greater degree of republicanism on TSR, however.

Are you a royalist, or a republican?

I'm a royalist.

In the year of the Queen’s diamond jubilee, a new report shows that the Midlands favour the royal family more than any other region, with 89% supporting the monarchy.

The report shows that just 9% of those asked in the Midlands would rather that Britain become a republic.

The UK average stands at 80%.

Conservative voters were found to support the royal family the most, with 96% in favour of keeping the monarchy.

Only 74% of Labour voters, and 84% of Lib Dems would consider themselves Royalists.

Simon Atkinson, Deputy Chief Executive of Ipsos MORI, said: "Support for the Royal family has always been consistently high and the Queen will enter her Jubilee celebrations with support for the monarchy running at record levels."

Last year's royal wedding and this year’s diamond jubilee have added five percentage points on the previous survey.

Link to story: http://www.itv.com/news/central/update/2012-05-21/the-midlands-has-become-britains-most-royalist-region/

Make sure you vote in the official TSR referendum on retaining the monarchy http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012442

VOTE YES TO SAVE OUR SOVEREIGN

Make sure to vote in the official referendum.
I wonder if the results of the official referendum shall mirror these results - I certainly hope so.

Remember, VOTE YES TO SAVE OUR SOVEREIGN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending