Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lose a bit of weight.

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Now everyone who knows me would be life WHAT because people say I'm slim and stuff. I mostly am but I have a bit of stomach fat, around my hips and on my thighs that I would like to get rid of. But it's weird because my wrists are skinny.

I've been doing research and I get the impression you need to improve your diet and do cardio which is okay. My diet isn't great atm; I drink Coke everyday which I'm going to cut out and replace with orange juice. Also I'm going to only have one unhealthy thing a day. I do a lot of walking and I also practise karate so I should be okay with the exercise.
    The trouble is, apparently carbs are fattening and should be avoided but I don't get how I could possibly avoid them. I have cereal for breakfast, sandwichs for lunch and for dinner I have pasta/rice/potato. It feels like if I ate less of them I'd starve. :confused:

I'm happy to cut down on chocolate/treats and completely get rid of coke, and do more exercise. Also does muscle building help lose weight at all? Like atm I'm doing pressups and sit ups for strength.

Is there anything else I can do?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good carbs are your friend. Refined carbs aren't.

Calculate your BMR then create a calorie deficit by taking away 300-500 from the number. This is the number of calories you should be eating to lose fat. I'm not entirely sure what the limit is for dudes, but for women it's 1000-1200. Your diet is the prime factor in instigating the fat loss process. Eat mostly protein and fiber; cut out all refined carbs and sugars and replace the refined carbs with wholegrains. Do exercises such as HIIT every other day and incorporate strength training too. Exercise isn't as important as diet, but it still is important.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Drink LOTS of water - aim to drink about 8 glasses of water a day. Sometimes you might feel like you're hungry but you're actually thirsty. If you feel 'peckish' drink some water and wait for ten minutes and see if you're still hungry. Making sure your hydrated is really important, water can also help you make more healthier food choices.

2. Chew gum throughout the day, this prevents "snack attacks"

3. If you feel like you need a snack, don't stop yourself from having one but be wise about your choice of snack. Vegetables and fruit are good choices!

4. Eat little and often throughout the day, this can prevent you from over-eating.

5. Try and do a little bit more everyday. e.g take stairs instead of the elevator or walk for 5 more minutes than you did yesterday. Gradually build up the intensity or how long you exercise for.

6. Make changes to your diet slowly. Don't change everything at once. Make small steps at first. This will make your 'diet' (it's not really meant to be a weight loss diet, it's meant to be a healthy lifestyle change) more manageable.

7. You can eat your favourite foods but in moderation! That's the key. Don't think of certain food groups as "off limits" as it is natural for you to want them more and when you give into the temptation you feel as though you have failed.

8. Take time to chew your food and listen to your body! Stop eating before you're full, it takes your brain a few minutes to process whether your body has had enough food.

9. Eat a healthily breakfast. It will jumpstart your metabolism and start you off on a good note.

10. Eat healthy carbs, these are:- whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables. Healthy carbs are digested slowly, helping you feel full longer and keeping blood sugar and insulin levels stable.

11. Focus on equal servings of protein, whole grains, and vegetables in your meals.

12. Eat naturally sweet food such as fruit, peppers, or natural peanut butter to satisfy your sweet tooth.

13. Strength training is the best way to build muscle tone. It includes a balance of aerobic activity and flexibility exercises.

This is quite a good link for more info on strength training.
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitn..._training.html
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wulf chan)
    I've been doing research and I get the impression you need to improve your diet and do cardio which is okay.
    You just need to run a calorie deficit, not have a good diet, to lose weight. A good diet consists of all the vitamins, fiber and the like that your body needs. You can definitely have a bad diet and also lose weight because you do not get enough vitamins etc.

My diet isn't great atm; I drink Coke everyday which I'm going to cut out and replace with orange juice.
    That is pretty pointless. That is a bit like substituting coke with pepsi. Orange juice is absolutely full of sugar. And because it is a liquid it is digested very easily and gives you a sugar hit. It is similar to injecting sugar straight into your blood stream. Which spikes your insulin levels which means you do not burn fat and you will get hungry later on.

If you are on a diet, do not drink your calories, ever. Only drink water or drinks with no calories. And drink a lot of water.

The trouble is, apparently carbs are fattening and should be avoided but I don't get how I could possibly avoid them. I have cereal for breakfast, sandwichs for lunch and for dinner I have pasta/rice/potato. It feels like if I ate less of them I'd starve. :confused:
    Yes carbs are basically sugar in disguise. Cereal for breakfast is not great because very often the cereal is full of sugar and the milk is also full of calories. Probably best to try and have fruit for your breakfast.

Bread is also a terrible food for the most part on a diet. Ideally this should be substituted with veggies and lean meats. Pasta and rice also have the same problems.

Ideally you should eat these as the main part of your diet: veggies, lean meats, fish, nuts and fruit.

I'm happy to cut down on chocolate/treats and completely get rid of coke, and do more exercise. Also does muscle building help lose weight at all? Like atm I'm doing pressups and sit ups for strength.
    Doing exercise generally uses up energy, which uses up calories, which if all other things are held equal, will help you lose weight. Muscle building does use up calories aswell, but if all you are doing is press ups and sit ups then you are probably not going to build much in the way of muscle, particularly if you are losing fat.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Good carbs are your friend. Refined carbs aren't.
    Not really. "Good" carbs can still easily be eaten in excess. Brown bread just has more nutritional value than white, but it still has plenty of sugar in it. Whole meal and the like will still cause your insulin levels to spike, just like refined carbs.

If all you did was substitute everything to whole meal, that would probably have little impact on the amount of calories you consume.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    Not really. "Good" carbs can still easily be eaten in excess. Brown bread just has more nutritional value than white, but it still has plenty of sugar in it. Whole meal and the like will still cause your insulin levels to spike, just like refined carbs.

If all you did was substitute everything to whole meal, that would probably have little impact on the amount of calories you consume.
    Pretty anti-carb aren't you.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:

Of course. Anything can be eaten in excess, but it's up to the individual to stop themselves from doing so.

I suggested good carbs because OP said that his research showed that carbs should be avoided and if he ate less, he'd starve - it's better to go for the good stuff than cut it out completely because carbs areincredibly important. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.

As for calorie control, that again is up to the individual - if OP decides to go for calorie counting then ideally he'd balance each meal/set of calories in a way where he's getting an adequate amount of carbs.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Pretty anti-carb aren't you.
    Yeah, I used to have a really high carb diet, since I substituted with more veggies and fruits I have lost weight nicely, have more energy throughout the day and my skin has improved a lot.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    I suggested good carbs because OP said that his research showed that carbs should be avoided and if he ate less, he'd starve - it's better to go for the good stuff than cut it out completely because carbs areincredibly important. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.
    If he thinks he would starve if he cut out carbs, he is having wayyy wayyy too many carbs.

Western diets have far more carbs than the human body was really supposed to consume. This is just because we are phenomenally good at producing carby foods. Modern agriculture is very good at producing grain, wheat and other such arable crops. It is not so good at producing fruits and nuts.

Our bodies are designed to consume what early man had available. And early man did not have modern farming techniques available to him, so he certainly did not eat bread or pasta. Early man had to eat what he could find. Which would be meat, fish, fruits, legumes etc.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I used to have a really high carb diet, since I substituted with more veggies and fruits I have lost weight nicely, have more energy throughout the day and my skin has improved a lot.
    Do you lift?

Because I have to say that without oats or another good carb pre-workout I find it very difficult to lift heavy.

Though, I've never done a proper cut yet.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Do you lift?

Because I have to say that without oats or another good carb pre-workout I find it very difficult to lift heavy.

Though, I've never done a proper cut yet.
    Never bothered me in the slightest. All I need is plenty of water in advance and enough blood sugar so that I do not get tired, something like a banana or an orange.

Having carbs before your workout is basically just raising your blood sugar levels.?.?.? Whether you do it through bread, supplement, sports drink or an injection straight into your viens, I cannot see why it would make any difference. For example if I do some cardio before I lift weights, I can definitely lift less, and I am pretty sure this is because I have used up my blood sugar when doing cardio. My gym has free food anyway so its not really a problem for me.

I almost never lift really heavy though, the lowest reps I do in a set is usually 6 (unless I fail to get to 6). I just work out really intensively.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never bothered me in the slightest. All I need is plenty of water in advanced and enough blood sugar so that I do not get tired, something like a banana or an orange.

Having carbs before you workout is basically just raising your blood sugar levels. Whether you do it through bread, supplement, sports drink or an injection straight into your viens, I cannot see why it would make any difference.
    But now your implying that all of those carbs are the same; after stating the complete opposite earlier on in the thread.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having carbs before your workout is basically just raising your blood sugar levels.?.?.? Whether you do it through bread, supplement, sports drink or an injection straight into your viens, I cannot see why it would make any difference. For example if I do some cardio before I lift weights, I can definitely lift less, and I am pretty sure this is because I have used up my blood sugar when doing cardio.
    Just read your fitness blog. Pretty much everyday consists of: chocolate,biscuits,chocolate biscuits and cake. Yet you go on about how evil carbs are....
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    Just read your fitness blog. Pretty much everyday consists of: chocolate,biscuits,chocolate biscuits and cake. Yet you go on about how evil carbs are....
    People don't take their own advice lol. I would have a better diet if I lived on my own, but I live with my family which means that there is often stuff like cake and whatever lying about and I do not have a discipline to resist

If I make myself a cup of tea and see a biscuit, I simply have to have the biscuit lol

Thanks for point that out though - I felt insecure after so I went to check how tight I can put my belt on, went down another notch. In fact there are no more notches left
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys heard of Graze? It is a healthy snacking idea - they send you healthy snack boxes straight to your door and you can choose what they put in them...it is amazing!!. I am addicted and so good for when you need to eat something when you are revising xxx
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    But now your implying that all of those carbs are the same; after stating the complete opposite earlier on in the thread.
    I'm confused. I thought my point was that carbs are just carbs. Eating brown bread is basically the same as eating white bread, except the brown bread has more nutrition generally....
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. I thought my point was that carbs are just carbs. Eating brown bread is basically the same as eating white bread, except the brown bread has more nutrition generally....
    Well I can tell you from experience that eating 2 sachets of oats does not have the same effect as drinking 2 or 3 sports drinks.

Don't agree with carbs are just carbs. Or a calorie is a calorie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wulf chan)
    Now everyone who knows me would be life WHAT because people say I'm slim and stuff. I mostly am but I have a bit of stomach fat, around my hips and on my thighs that I would like to get rid of. But it's weird because my wrists are skinny.

I've been doing research and I get the impression you need to improve your diet and do cardio which is okay. My diet isn't great atm; I drink Coke everyday which I'm going to cut out and replace with orange juice. Also I'm going to only have one unhealthy thing a day. I do a lot of walking and I also practise karate so I should be okay with the exercise.

Is there anything else I can do?
    I was just like you. If you truely wanna loose the belly fat, you gotta eat healthy, i.e fruits and veg, dont eat too much, never let yourself feel "full". I went to the gym for a week, and all I did was jogging, cardio exercises which raised my heart rate and really made me sweat, and I lost my belly fat and was able to close my 6th form suit!!!! All you gotta do is jog for a while to get rid of the excess fat, you'll notice how much belly fat you loose.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I can tell you from experience that eating 2 sachets of oats does not have the same effect as drinking 2 or 3 sports drinks.

Don't agree with carbs are just carbs. Or a calorie is a calorie.
    The sports drink is going to get into your blood stream a lot faster compared to the oats. The sports drink is much more akin to actually injecting sugar into your blood stream. The oats on the other hand take a while to digest.

Obviously there are differences in the types of sugars as well.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The sports drink is going to get into your blood stream a lot faster compared to the oats. The sports drink is much more akin to actually injecting sugar into your blood stream. The oats on the other hand take a while to digest.

Obviously there are differences in the types of sugars as well.
    Exactly so the oats give you energy for longer. It's handy if you want energy for your whole workout and not just the first two sets.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Spooky tales from this year's fright night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.