Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

When should I apply for Pilot?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im just about to finish my 2nd year of Uni and I'm planning to apply for Pilot Officer in the RAF when I finish my third year. However, I've seen various people on here mention applying during the summer after their second year due to the length of the process.
    So simple question really, what do people think is a better choice, apply this summer or wait untill my third year is done?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sincil91)
    Im just about to finish my 2nd year of Uni and I'm planning to apply for Pilot Officer in the RAF when I finish my third year. However, I've seen various people on here mention applying during the summer after their second year due to the length of the process.
    So simple question really, what do people think is a better choice, apply this summer or wait untill my third year is done?
    Pilot and pilot officer are two different things.

If you are wanting to apply for pilot they are not recruiting currently and there isn't a definitive answer to when they will star recruiting again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, meant Pilot, wasn't concentrating on what I was writing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What would be the best way to keep up to date with what jobs are open? Also, is maximum joining age 23 or 25? I've read both recently but always thought it was 25.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What would be the best way to keep up to date with what jobs are open? Also, is maximum joining age 23 or 25? I've read both recently but always thought it was 25.
    We've recently been told that pilot could open up again in 13/14, but only very small numbers, and the first couple of courses can easily be filled by pilot bursars, who are being given a preliminary date of October 2013. So I'd say 2014 is the most likely time for the system to boot up again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'll keep a lookout for recruitment opening. Hopefully it will happen before im too old!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You must have started Initial Officer Training before your 26th birthday if you are applying as a civilian.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I should be alright in that case!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    The posts on here that say 23 will simply be old ones, the rule was only changed in the last 2/3 yrs whilst this forum has been going for a good 8/9.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That will be why then! I'll have to start paying attention to the dates of articles and posts I read.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would be applying right after Russia invades Britain, that way you'll have decent change of actually getting in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    meaning?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    meaning?
    We call that 'sarcasm'.

The implication is that unless there's a sudden large scale war we won't have any need for more than a few pilots, but we currently have 3 years worth of applicants waiting for those slots, the chances of getting through will be slim as the RAF cand and will choose the absolute top of the pile.

For instance, the aptitude pass mark was 112 for Pilot. To be competitive you needed, usually, a minimum of 120. I'd be surprised if they took on anyone with a score of less than 130/135 when they do eventually re-open.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    We call that 'sarcasm'.

The implication is that unless there's a sudden large scale war we won't have any need for more than a few pilots, but we currently have 3 years worth of applicants waiting for those slots, the chances of getting through will be slim as the RAF cand and will choose the absolute top of the pile.

For instance, the aptitude pass mark was 112 for Pilot. To be competitive you needed, usually, a minimum of 120. I'd be surprised if they took on anyone with a score of less than 130/135 when they do eventually re-open.
    When our bursars went they had to retest and score over 130 to be kept on as bursars, so I think that's likely to be the opener, as you say.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudeydan)
    When our bursars went they had to retest and score over 130 to be kept on as bursars, so I think that's likely to be the opener, as you say.
    And they'll be required to be all over the extra-curriculars, to perform well in the leadership tests, the planning.. They can afford to be extra picky, so they will be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fairly competetive. I'll concentrate on my Uni work for now and keep an eye on the Careers site and Russia Today in the meantime.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudeydan)
    That's a lie, we only needed to pass the overall test and achieve the minimum mark on all the stanines. Clearing the CCS was preferable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS1990)
    That's a lie, we only needed to pass the overall test and achieve the minimum mark on all the stanines. Clearing the CCS was preferable.
    Just saying what they were told, bearing in mind this is about people in their second year of a four year course, I'm not talking about having to retest just before their IOT. Doesn't change the fact that for people not on a bursary the entry standard is likely to be higher than the old 112.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.