The Student Room Group

English Literature AQA OF MICE AND MEN predicted questions 22nd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james2406
yep, I am so scared, I need a B in this to do ICT.
Not gone happen :frown:

Don't worry, im sure you will do just fine. :smile:
Original post by higuys1
you know for the a and b questions we have to do for OMAM, do we have to do an introduction or conclusion? if so what would you write?
i always get so stuck on starting introductions :confused:

Yes, the introduction should briefly answer the question and include what you are going to talk about in your answer, and the conclusion should just be a summary of what you've just written, giving your final comments and views.
Original post by higuys1
you know for the a and b questions we have to do for OMAM, do we have to do an introduction or conclusion? if so what would you write?
i always get so stuck on starting introductions :confused:

Yes, the introduction should briefly answer the question and include what you are going to talk about in your answer, and the conclusion should just be a summary of what you've just written, giving your final comments and views.
Reply 103
Reply 104
Original post by letsbehonest
Do we need to know quotes? Or would the extract be enough? Should I just learn one or two important quotes for each character?

No an extract isnt enough and dont rely on those quote as it may not relate to the question
Reply 105
Looking at the last few years, it went: Crooks, Candy, George and Lennie Relationship, Bunkhouse
I think i'm the only one who wants it to be on Slim. We've been doing a lot on him and Crooks, and little on Curley's wife. I'm not too worried about her though as you can write a lot about her.

Plus i know people say there isn't a lot about him in the book, but the passage of his description tells A LOT about his character. And in b (how he is presented in society) you can also write a lot because he has a lot of relationships. Even the smallest ones (like the way he flirts with Curley's wife) shows how society is degrading to women, which can be reinforced in the way Curley doesn't stand up to Slim even when he knows he flirts with his wife, because he respects his wealth too much.

Anyways while you are all praying for Curley's wife, i'll be praying for Slim or Crooks. Good luck on your exam though either way :smile:
Original post by Ericao
Well in my school, they give out book in the exam :smile:

we have books too, but they have to be different ones than the ones we have learnt in
Original post by Ptolemy001
There's notes on context and themes in the OMAM book guys! Use that if you get stuck. There's also quotes and character analysis in the back of the inspector calls book for everyone who's doing it. Good luck! :biggrin:

Lol i think they'll probably use a different book with no notes - if they get caught for that you're all in trouble.
Reply 109
I dont think any of you people that did something tiring today can concentrate, so i suggest you go out for 10 minutes and have a slow walk, get some fresh air. It works. And in the morning get some breakfast not much, eat some banana or apple, or milk with cereal. If you eat too much you will want to sleep, which your brain wont work properly.

Im planning to eat 2 banana's, and drink 1 redbull. :smile:
Reply 110
Shall i do an introduction and conclusion ion both Part A and Part B? Ans what is the examiner marking it on?
Original post by Elshad
Looking at the last few years, it went: Crooks, Candy, George and Lennie Relationship, Bunkhouse

When was the bunkhouse one?
I think there is a good chance a setting can come up. I hope not though - it's way easier to write about characters.
Reply 112
Original post by bookworm786
I think i'm the only one who wants it to be on Slim. We've been doing a lot on him and Crooks, and little on Curley's wife. I'm not too worried about her though as you can write a lot about her.

Plus i know people say there isn't a lot about him in the book, but the passage of his description tells A LOT about his character. And in b (how he is presented in society) you can also write a lot because he has a lot of relationships. Even the smallest ones (like the way he flirts with Curley's wife) shows how society is degrading to women, which can be reinforced in the way Curley doesn't stand up to Slim even when he knows he flirts with his wife, because he respects his wealth too much.

Anyways while you are all praying for Curley's wife, i'll be praying for Slim or Crooks. Good luck on your exam though either way :smile:

What can you say about Slim in part a and context:s-smilie: ?
Reply 113
Original post by Lizy

You can say that people were racist towards black people in the context part? if i'm right? :smile:
Reply 114
Original post by theGeezus
For the passage question, you're only allowed to quote and talk about the passage, not the rest of the book, thats part 'B' so be careful, and good luck, I'm scared of the 'An Inspector Calls' section :|

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My teachers rang AQA and they confirmed that question a and b can be written as one essay or two as the mark schemes overlap.
Original post by Shields56
My teachers rang AQA and they confirmed that question a and b can be written as one essay or two as the mark schemes overlap.

THANK YOU:smile::smile::smile::smile:

iv'e been lookin everywhere for that answer

(that +1 rep is me)
Original post by Lizy

Well in part a in depends on the passage - it is extremely likely that it will be on his description though because he's basically scattered throughout the book in different paces.
For b you just have to write about his relationships (George, Curley, Curley's wife) and what these show about society. For the society part though, there are several themes like the Depression, Judgemental part on people who are unsuccessful, and how society is degrading to women.
Original post by Ericao
You can say that people were racist towards black people in the context part? if i'm right? :smile:

I think you are confusing Slim for Crooks lol :smile:
Reply 118
when the question asks 'Write about the methods...' or 'Explain the methods..', what is it actually asking you to do? like what are examples of methods? :s-smilie:
Reply 119
Original post by getoom
THANK YOU:smile::smile::smile::smile:

iv'e been lookin everywhere for that answer

(that +1 rep is me)

No problemo :biggrin: We were all getting really concerned, so they rang to ask about it. Hopefully this makes it easier for everyone, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending