Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Themes/ important ideas for Of Mice And Men, and An Inspector Calls!

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardigansandjeans)
    Haha cool, my teacher said Slim might come up for of mice and men, but im hoping crooks Yess!! Thats good, i didn't know that, so that is Gerald most definetely ruled out!! Horrary

Good Luck tomorrow!!
    Wouldn't mind Slim but would also prefer Crooks, there's so much to right about him because of the racial prejudice and also disability(shove in the ranch is a microcosm of society at that time somewhere aswell haha) Good luck to you too!! I'm sure you'll do great
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James3110)
    Wouldn't mind Slim but would also prefer Crooks, there's so much to right about him because of the racial prejudice and also disability(shove in the ranch is a microcosm of society at that time somewhere aswell haha) Good luck to you too!! I'm sure you'll do great
    Yeah and about his room Aw thank you, and you'll do great aswell! Cant wait to get this exam over and done with
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.J.P)
    There's also some extra bits you could consider which are less cliche and will help you get the highest grade possible (like an A*)

E.g. When C's wife dies, the bird flies over her and circles her which could symbolise her finally being freed from the opression and hostilty she faces (also because of her gender).

At the beginning 'a cyote yammerd and a dog answered' could be symbolic of L and G's relationship. L is like the cyote: untamed and wild whereas G is more like the dog - symbolic of companionship (mans best friend) and more domesticated.

If i remeber correctly (this is all off the top of my head) i think theres something about wanting to drown a puppy or a runt or something. Again it could forshadow the ending and also sybolise societies attitude to people like lenny.

The relationshipo betweent he horse and the stable buck.

i miss english...
    Those are very interesting details! Thanks.

I've got this ( on AQA) exam tomorrow - good luck everyone!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ketchup!)
    It's alright, thank you anyway!
    Also what points can be structure? Apart from dashes.
    What do you mean by sentence structure?
    Like the length of the sentence, whether its a complex sentence with lots of clauses or simple, short sentences. You could also comment on punctuation etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what kind of things would you have to say about Slim to get the top marks?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what could you say about slim?

secondly if I'm on 60/60 so far what do i need out of 40 for an A* in this one? I'm feeling really unprepared compared to previous exams (have been focusing on sciences)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_milton)
    what kind of things would you have to say about Slim to get the top marks?
    erm i would think how he's received high praises from steinbeck even though he's the same class as all the other ranch hands, how he's looked to for a dive such as when candy looks at slim for help when carlson forces him to shot his dog etc..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, for the Of Mice and Men questions do we need an introduction and conclusion for both parts of the question?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, for the Of Mice and Men questions do we need an introduction and conclusion for both parts of the question?
    I thought so if they are separate questions?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No problem Glad to help Yeah, Sheila has already come up, I think it might be Eric, Mr/Mrs Birling. I just hope it isnt Gerald. Are you doing of mice and men aswell?
    Don't worry, Gerald came up in the Jan 2012 Paper. I hope it's not Edna, I hope it is something like "How does Priestley's use of dramatic irony in Mr Birlings monolgue create impact for the readers?" - now that would be easy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like the length of the sentence, whether its a complex sentence with lots of clauses or simple, short sentences. You could also comment on punctuation etc

Alright, thank you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    my teahcer was like make sure you go over gerald hes a difficult character to uneerstand i dont know if she's dropping hints but she wouldnt know the question would she? and plus i hope its the birlings in general i think they would be easier to write about then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepstick)
    my teahcer was like make sure you go over gerald hes a difficult character to uneerstand i dont know if she's dropping hints but she wouldnt know the question would she? and plus i hope its the birlings in general i think they would be easier to write about then
    Gerald came up in the January 2012 paper though so I don't think it would be him She wouldn't know the question!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gerald came up in the January 2012 paper though so I don't think it would be him She wouldn't know the question!
    thanks lol if it was gerald i'd be screwed hes a strange man lol i ho[e its more like birling or sybil or eric or someone like that
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    do they give us a copy of the book?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teja_96)
    do they give us a copy of the book?
    Yep

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by higuys1)
    Yep

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    oh okay theres gonna be alot on the table - a of mice and men book, an inspector calls book and the exam paper. im gonna be faffaling about :P
    thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teja_96)
    oh okay theres gonna be alot on the table - a of mice and men book, an inspector calls book and the exam paper. im gonna be faffaling about :P
    thanks
    Even worse in the poetry paper when you have the question paper, the answer paper and the anthology :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks this is a great thread!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Even worse in the poetry paper when you have the question paper, the answer paper and the anthology :P
    O_0 oh god im gonna die -_-
    well im gonna make so much noise the invigilators might disqualify me!! and somethings bound to fall of my table.
    Good Luck everyone XD

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 20, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.