The Student Room Group

The History Book Club

book club?
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd be interested if more people get on board
I'd be quite interested :smile:
Reply 3
I'd be interested in reading more history. What level of books might usually be nominated, though? :holmes:
Sounds great =) I think I'll join, seeing as I want to do History and Politics at University.
Reply 5
I'll be interested.
I'm in
Seems cool :smile:
:yy:
Reply 9
I'd be interested!
Reply 10
Count me in. :smile:
Reply 11
To clarify, is this club designed for students at A Level or University undergrad level? :tongue:

I'm very interested :smile:
Reply 12
im in :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by RLHistory
it has been 5 days, does anyone have any book suggestions? Otherwise, are people happy with this:
Mortimer, I. (2009). The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century. London: Vintage Books.

I might suggest Nehru's Glimpses of World History, as it is pretty encompassing (something for everyone?) and supposedly simple (it began as a series of lettes, and the author calls it a 'rambling account of history for young people). Plus, it might be interesting to discuss the circumstances of the author, and how that might have affected the writing. The downside is that it's fairly long, though, so I don't know if you want to go down that route. :dontknow:
Reply 14
Can anyone recommend me some books on post-Napoleonic Britain? Specifically I'm looking at the rise of radicalism 1915-20, but anything on that era could be useful to look at. Thanks ^.^
I'm so sad that this thread has basically died.
Has anyone here read "The Shah" (2011) by Abbas Milani? Also, has anyone read Holy Madness: Romantics, Patriots, and Revolutionaries: 1776-1871 (1999) and Robert K. Massie's Peter the Great: His Life and World (1980)
Original post by Cato the Elder
Has anyone here read "The Shah" (2011) by Abbas Milani? Also, has anyone read Holy Madness: Romantics, Patriots, and Revolutionaries: 1776-1871 (1999) and Robert K. Massie's Peter the Great: His Life and World (1980)

I haven't. Have you read Hugh Trevor-Roper's essays on the European Witch-Craze? They are amazing and so interesting. What a fascinating period.

Quick Reply

Latest