The Student Room Group

French B HL Paper 1 - help!

OK, so I'm aiming for a 6 (maybe even a 7, with any luck) in HL French tomorrow. However, the Text D question on Paper 1 always brings me down- I can't seem to ever get any more than 14/15 on it :frown: I'm getting desperate (hence the frantic posting the night before the exam) and it isn't even as if I haven't been revising these types of questions for months - does anyone have any last minute hints for how to score highly on Text D?
Reply 1
Original post by KetchupSandwich
OK, so I'm aiming for a 6 (maybe even a 7, with any luck) in HL French tomorrow. However, the Text D question on Paper 1 always brings me down- I can't seem to ever get any more than 14/15 on it :frown: I'm getting desperate (hence the frantic posting the night before the exam) and it isn't even as if I haven't been revising these types of questions for months - does anyone have any last minute hints for how to score highly on Text D?

Even though it's only worth 33% of the exam, I'd actually try to finish the first 3 texts quite quickly and spending ~40 minutes on Text D. If I still have 40 minutes, then I can write down about 15 'bits of information' from the text (I underline the bits I'll put in as I read it), and just pray that 8-9 of them will be in the markscheme. However, that's not often the case, which is rather frustrating.
But if I'm honest, I don't have much of an idea either. I find that there's never enough time to do the paper as thoroughly as I'd like to, nor is there enough time to write 400 words in Paper 2!

J'espère que ton examen se passera (se passe?) bien, bonne chance ! :smile:
Original post by KetchupSandwich

Some good advice above ^^

Simple marks you need to get are: making sure you have at least 8ish points from the text without copying directly + making sure you have the text type right.

If you haven't done so already, look up all of the text types to see what you need to do to gain points.

In the exam, highlight or underline the points in text D and make sure you include them.

Good luck, I'll be taking the exam with you! :smile:
Reply 3
Tomorrow I have the French B SL exam. I'm really hoping to get a 6 or a 7. I was just wondering if someone could give me so tips as to how I might do this. And on Paper 2 what would the scorers be looking for to get a score of 6 or 7? thanks :smile:
Reply 4
I'm also hoping for some tips. :tongue: I've been looking around for some.

I'm fluent in French, and thought this exam would be easy, but the specificity of it is an extreme pain! I've been doing badly on paper 1 mainly because of part 2 (text D). I've been scoring mainly 2-4 out of 10!! I'm definitely not used to marks like this. It's because of the randomness and the specificity of the elements of the text needed. The ones I pick to put in my writing just aren't the right ones?

Am I not allowed to say 'plusieurs personnes utilisent des vélos comme un mode de transport,' if the text says 'les vélos sont populaires'? I don't understand what they're asking for this part! :confused:

Other than that, I've been doing ok on part 1, my average being 27 (except for the paper from 2008, which I found particularly hard).
It's been 24 hrs!
Reply 6
Hey! I have a question about Paper 2. If there was said that I have to write a l'histoire that will be published in a magazine, then does it mean that it is supposed to be fictional?
Original post by gretaraidma
Hey! I have a question about Paper 2. If there was said that I have to write a l'histoire that will be published in a magazine, then does it mean that it is supposed to be fictional?

Are you talking about the "future" question on Paper 2 from yesterday?
Reply 8
yes
Original post by gretaraidma
yes

i'm pretty sure it was fiction. Not really sure how you could make it non-fiction, unless it was an honest hypothesis about where you thought the human race would be in the future? Even then, you could have passed it off as fiction?
Reply 10
I thought Paper 1 was fine, though the language was kinda familière in all four texts. I did the story in Paper 2 - I was bored writing it so I guess the examiner won't be finding it very interesting, either!
Thanks for the help! I tried to cram as many points into my email as possible, but it was so difficult to reword them...

I started off doing the story in paper 2, but then I realised that for the plot that I'd thought of I didn't actually have the vocabulary for...so I switched to the article about public transport. I pretended I lived in Lyon, where, according to my article, they have buses, trams, trains, coaches and a metro system. And I've just discovered that my hasty inventing of methods of getting around has actually turned out to be very accurate! :smile:
Well, something worked- I got a 7!! Not quite sure how! How did you all do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending