The Student Room Group

Of mice and men essay question please mark

I need someone to give me some formal corrections and advise on how to get the BEST grade possible, also people doing the test tomorrow can use this but it's kind of crappy

How does steinbeck present slim in of mice and men?

Slim's character is the most unique and well developed character throughout the story, he is respected by his fellow ranch workers and even has Curley following his orders. Slim gives the story some indivduality as he is presented to be the hero of the story even though he isn't the protagonist. Slim advises George and genuienly likes Lennie he understands everyone mainly because he is kind and sheds some hope into the lives of most of the characters; what makes Slim so special is the fact he speaks to everyone from Crooks to Candy and even Curley's wife

When Slim is first introduced Steinbeck uses the words 'prince of the ranch' to describe him, he does this before Slim actually says anything, this indicates he already has authority over the ranch before the reader gets a chance to hear his backround information. Slim is compared to a respectable leader ''when he had finished combing his hair he moved with a majesty achieved only by royalty and master craftsmen'' so Steinbeck choice of words such as royalty and majesty suggests his manners were equlivent to a kings. When Slim speaks to George and Lennie 'his tone was friendly. It invited confidence without demanding it' although most men in the ranch have to act tough like Curley to gain respect Slim's presence alone is enough to have the men search advise for him, he also shows signs he is a good listener.

When Carlson had ideas to kill Candy's dog, Slim had agreed but he also reassured Candy and even offered his own pups''You can have a pup if you want to'' Slim had a good heart which was rarely seen in 1930s America because once people had to strive for jobs they had also lost their compassion towards others. Steinbeck himself states 'Slim's opinnions were law ''so Candy was looking for answers in Slim, it was mainly because he was insightful and level headed.

Slims relationships with George is one that seems to be similar to George's relationship with Lennie mainly because George would ask Slim for help or just want someone to listen to him without always asking about 'the dream' 'George looked over at Slim and saw the calm, Godlike eyes fastened on him'' Steinbeck makes Georgea emotional resilience character but as soon Slim listens to his story he opens up completely. Slim's relationship with Curley's wife is one that gives Curley's wife some attention she finally craves he calls her 'good looking' and she adresses him by his name, ths suggests he isn't afraid of Curley. Slim also demonstrates he is even nice to his enimies such as the time when Lennie crushes Curley's hand he had willingly feed him water "He held it to Curley's lips''

Steinbeck's feelings of Slim shows through as he is the charcter who has the most clear mind and understands how to diffuse and work a situation, he also respects each and every bodies opinions and is compassionate to those in needs

Ok so there's some spelling mistakes but i was writing this quick, please mark this and help me fix my conclusion because i know it's rubbish
Reply 1
this is really good the only criticsm il give is explain on your quotes more. Probably be a B/A
Teachers ceaselessly harp on about it, but just thought I'd reinforce it for you- P.E.E.L paragraphs!
Reply 3
what is p.e.e.l?
Reply 4
Point, evidence explanation, link
Im not marking your essay but i think to get some marks you need to add your personal opinions so in your conclusion add "i petsonally think" or "in my opinion i think that" something like that to get you the other marks but you really helped me with that essay i think its top notch work
Well done :smile: and thanks
you also need to be more consistent with your explanation because your adding the quotes which will get you the marks, HOWEVER your not expanding around the points properly you need to elaborate and every detail correct to ensure you achieve those top grades, and differentiate your work from others.
Reply 7
This is a High B - Low A very good (: good luck in your exam, it's the 18th Right? From what I remember (:
Reply 8
Point.evidence.explaination.learning
Reply 9
Low B, speak about the quote more in its self. I feel you jump right into context straight after, you don't explain the quote properly which makes the essay lack. You speak about the context well though and its a well structured essay, well done!
C.
hi , this is very good , im doing a Mice of Men piece and i need help , the question i have been given is
'Explore how Steinbeck presents ideas about good and bad people with relation to section 5 in of mice and men'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending