Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

OCR Classical Greek G3 29 May 2012+G4 1 June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone taking these papers this summer?

How are people preparing?

What will you choose for G4, unseen passage or prose composition?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even see this thread

very nervous for tomorrow :afraid:

I'll be doing the unseen passage in G4 :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can we discuss this exam yet?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think so :P how did you find it? Did you study Euripedes or Aristophanes?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Euripedes... I thought the essays were fairly generous if I'm honest, but the translation was harder than the two they've done before. You?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did Euripides.

(Original post by paddypower)
    Euripedes... I thought the essays were fairly generous if I'm honest, but the translation was harder than the two they've done before. You?
    Agreed, I thought the translation was fairly challenging. Hoping for generous grade boundaries :crossedf:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked the paper - did language first to give myself more time for the lit and ended up writing about four sides for part a and then getting major writers cramp after two and a half pages of b :eek: (I'd done Class Civ in the morning as well)

One thing I was wondering about the scansion question on the language section - how did people scan this part?

κεινω τε κἀμοι
    I did "long-long-short-long | long-etc." but was uncertain about κἀ at first, but decided it had to be long as it was a contraction of και which is long anyway.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    short long short long | long long short long | short long short (short/long)

long long short long | long long short long | short long short long

Is what I got for the scansion, so I agree with you there.

I agree with previous posters - the Euripedes questions allowed you to show your knowledge really well, I thought they were much better than previous year's questions.

As for the passage - I think it was quite easy to get the general gist since the vocab was pretty standard, but may come unstuck with some of the specifics - had to stretch the meaning of some words to make sense, although I guess that is what you have to do with poetry. The questions on the passage seemed more straightforward than the translation itself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never again shall I translate another Xenophon passage...
    I thought this paper was slightly easier, thoughts?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddypower)
    Never again shall I translate another Xenophon passage...
    I thought this paper was slightly easier, thoughts?
    Agreed, thought that it was slightly easier, especially the grammar questions
    Nevertheless, I think I may have gone a bit wonky on the first sentence of the unseen, but should still be able to get 2 or 3 marks on it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i didn't have enough time to finish the unseen in g3. Im really uncertain about the questions apart from the translation

in g4 i ended up doing the prose composition as some of the vocab had come up last year as well.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.