The Student Room Group

New car - advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by aidans34
Nothing says, "i've got a brain" more than a 3 series. Its the best small executive saloon by a considerable mile and it has been for a long time. If you choose an inferior car to show you have imagination that probably shows something else as well.

So a 3 series is the best car you can possibly buy is it?
Right...

Well, I've owned a 3 series coupe and it wasn't exactly anything special.
Reply 21
Original post by JC.
So a 3 series is the best car you can possibly buy is it?
Right...

Well, I've owned a 3 series coupe and it wasn't exactly anything special.

By no means, but it depends what your priorities are and for this poster, I think it is yes. Me and my mates have had a few, and i've had 3 E46 M3's (which are VERY special) and whilst the 318d is nowhere near as good as a porsche 911, Z4, Type R etc . . it is miles better than 1.3 corsa, ford mondeo, accord, VW Bluemotion etc which is being suggested as the competition. What would your suggestion be?
Reply 22
If its economy you're after get a Polo Bluemotion. The claimed figures are a bit far fetched but if you drive it normally you should get 45-50 mpg.
Reply 23
Ignore 1.0 petrol cheap Hyundai or Corsa misery boxes you'll have no fun driving anything like that and its going to end up costing you more in fuel if you ever want to travel at anything over 60mph or you want to overtake etc. . . Also ignore the 1.9tdi engines in VAG group cars in favour of the 2.0 tdi, the extra power makes a big difference and the economy doesn't work out much different then when you come to re-sell you'll find it much easier to pass on. The 1.9 engine is ancient by now.

Yes, the 2.0 is more powerful, refined, and modern, but the 1.9 is considerably more reliable.

Problems with oil pumps, injectors, turbos, DPFs, clutches, dual mass flywheels, egr valves etc. Not stuff you want to be forking out for - it isn't cheap!
Reply 24
Original post by 1992LP
Yes, the 2.0 is more powerful, refined, and modern, but the 1.9 is considerably more reliable.

Problems with oil pumps, injectors, turbos, DPFs, clutches, dual mass flywheels, egr valves etc. Not stuff you want to be forking out for - it isn't cheap!

True, although the 1.9 and associated componants do have their fair share or problems. Oddly the only time i've personally (me and mates) had a problem with the 2.0 tdi was on a 07 low miles A3 S-Line when all my higher mileage older A3's have been absolutely fine. I do personally put down some of the additional problems to harsher driving but if you know where to go the repairs aren't hugely expensive and I think it really makes the car to have the bigger engine.

"If its economy you're after get a Polo Bluemotion. The claimed figures are a bit far fetched but if you drive it normally you should get 45-50 mpg"

Well thats a bit **** then really isn't it, since much more powerful, bigger and comfortable cars do at least that and usually more
By no means, but it depends what your priorities are and for this poster, I think it is yes. Me and my mates have had a few, and i've had 3 E46 M3's (which are VERY special) and whilst the 318d is nowhere near as good as a porsche 911, Z4, Type R etc . . it is miles better than 1.3 corsa, ford mondeo, accord, VW Bluemotion etc which is being suggested as the competition. What would your suggestion be?

Sorry for butting in but gotta disagree with that one. I'll apologise now for being stereotypical but when I see BMW drivers it spings into my mind that they're the cut you up d***head, never indicate and think they own the road. Fair enough you have a nice car, doesn't justify you to be a ****. Also apart from the badge, I don't see how a 318d is any better or special than lets say a Passat CC, Vauxhall Vectra/Insignia VXR, Ford Mondeo Titanium X or a Honda Accord Type S. All within the price range for the poster, very nicely built and is fairly fast whilst probably cheaper to maintain, as I heard BMW parts and service checks are VERY expensive. <-Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can just see my post being negged, I know they're BMW drivers out there that aren't like that. But its the majority that give a bad name which deters me from getting one myself (much rather have a Jag :wink:). I agree that the its better than a corsa or bluemotion but they're still some other decent stuff out there. Just cos its an Accord or Mondeo doesn't mean its crap is all I'm saying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26

A lot of cars that folk hype up aren't what they're cracked up to be. I used to own an E46 coupe and whilst it was "ok" I wouldn't call it fantastic. They've all got crap seats for starters.
I've also owned two 911's - an '81 SC Coupe and a 996 C2 again - neither lived up to the hype.
Mind you, I've had more cars in the last year than most people will have in a lifetime...
Reply 27
Original post by anthonyla65
Sorry for butting in but gotta disagree with that one. I'll apologise now for being stereotypical but when I see BMW drivers it spings into my mind that they're the cut you up d***head, never indicate and think they own the road. Fair enough you have a nice car, doesn't justify you to be a ****. Also apart from the badge, I don't see how a 318d is any better or special than lets say a Passat CC, Vauxhall Vectra/Insignia VXR, Ford Mondeo Titanium X or a Honda Accord Type S. All within the price range for the poster, very nicely built and is fairly fast whilst probably cheaper to maintain, as I heard BMW parts and service checks are VERY expensive. <-Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can just see my post being negged, I know they're BMW drivers out there that aren't like that. But its the majority that give a bad name.

It is true that BMW drivers have that image, its also true that a lot entirely deserve it. The TLC pack with BMW is a good deal, but other than that the main dealers do rip you off something nasty. The OP wanted economy, I could easily have recommended a BMW M3 on an 03/04 which far and away beats all the cars you've mentioned for how good it is to drive, but your not likely to get more than 30mpg and its the same with the Insignia VXR Type R etc. . . The BMW uses rear wheel drive, has an excellent chassis and has very direct steering which makes it far better to drive whilst still being more economical than any of its competitors equivalent engines. Also even trade your not gonna get an Insignia VXR for under 10k even if it was the mother of all dodgy cars, a cat b.
It is true that BMW drivers have that image, its also true that a lot entirely deserve it. The TLC pack with BMW is a good deal, but other than that the main dealers do rip you off something nasty. The OP wanted economy, I could easily have recommended a BMW M3 on an 03/04 which far and away beats all the cars you've mentioned for how good it is to drive, but your not likely to get more than 30mpg and its the same with the Insignia VXR Type R etc. . . The BMW uses rear wheel drive, has an excellent chassis and has very direct steering which makes it far better to drive whilst still being more economical than any of its competitors equivalent engines. Also even trade your not gonna get an Insignia VXR for under 10k even if it was the mother of all dodgy cars, a cat b.

Wait my bad, It was a SRi with "VXR pack" haha that I saw for 10k. Besides RWD isn't all that good in snow is it? :wink: Beside I don't see how you could get a decent 3 series for 10k, unless its done alot of miles or fairly old.
Reply 29
Original post by JC.
A lot of cars that folk hype up aren't what they're cracked up to be. I used to own an E46 coupe and whilst it was "ok" I wouldn't call it fantastic. They've all got crap seats for starters.
I've also owned two 911's - an '81 SC Coupe and a 996 C2 again - neither lived up to the hype.
Mind you, I've had more cars in the last year than most people will have in a lifetime...

The SE models don't have brilliant seats, but I really like the ones they fit to the M sports and the Sports models. I guess it depends what your expectations are like and what you use the car for, i'm a massive fan of the Mini purely for the way it handles but I know some of the faults (midland gearbox) tend to sour people against them.
Reply 30
Original post by anthonyla65
Wait my bad, It was a SRi with "VXR pack" haha that I saw for 10k. Besides RWD isn't all that good in snow is it? :wink: Beside I don't see how you could get a decent 3 series for 10k, unless its done alot of miles or fairly old.

Yea I was gonna say, give me your number now if you have a VXR for under 10k i'd snap that up immediately :smile: RWD is f-cking abysmall in the snow, thats the main downside. You can easily get an 07 318d with under 40k in SE trim for around the 10k mark and won't be a complete shed either. For an all bells and whisltes its going to be an 05 or 06 though but there still decent
Reply 31
Ha, I've had a mini cooper S as well...
Another overrated disappointment. Can you say "torquesteer"? Never mind it's got the turning circle of a yachet, sod all rear visability and the power steering motor howls when it's doing nothing and shrieks when you ask it to do something.

I've given up on modern cars all together now. Far too complicated for their own good and too many numpty aids. The newest thing I've got on the drive at the moment was built in '75 and the oldest in '56.
Reply 32
Original post by JC.
Ha, I've had a mini cooper S as well...
Another overrated disappointment. Can you say "torquesteer"? Never mind it's got the turning circle of a yachet, sod all rear visability and the power steering motor howls when it's doing nothing and shrieks when you ask it to do something.

I've given up on modern cars all together now. Far too complicated for their own good and too many numpty aids. The newest thing I've got on the drive at the moment was built in '75 and the oldest in '56.

They are still pretty good fun to have a go in down a back road, the power steering pump is easy to live with, its not THAT loud it just makes you know its still there. I've never found there to be a visibility problem in the numerous minis i've owned and driven. Main thing with the cooper s supercharged is that it drinks fuel like a bitch which is why you can pick one up for **** all nowadays.
The Hyundai i10 is a 1 litre and due to its very small CO2 emmissions, it is exempt from road tax... also Hyundai are offering 5 year manufacturers warranty compared to the conventional 3 year warranty offered by every other manufacturer
Reply 34
Original post by M4LLY
If its economy you're after get a Polo Bluemotion. The claimed figures are a bit far fetched but if you drive it normally you should get 45-50 mpg.

There costly in reality, one of my old driving instructor's friend had one(another driving instructor) who after certain amount of mileage has to pay for some new thing, some sort of filtering component which makes it efficient, which costs quite a bit.
Reply 35
Original post by Iqbal007
There costly in reality, one of my old driving instructor's friend had one(another driving instructor) who after certain amount of mileage has to pay for some new thing, some sort of filtering component which makes it efficient, which costs quite a bit.

Interesting, a mates dad had one and had the same problem. A common fault?
Reply 36
Original post by M4LLY
Interesting, a mates dad had one and had the same problem. A common fault?

I think you have to replace the filter after a few thousand miles or so, which is very costly especially if your a driving instructor :/
Reply 37
Original post by Iqbal007
I think you have to replace the filter after a few thousand miles or so, which is very costly especially if your a driving instructor :/

Ouch :/
Reply 38
Original post by JC.

Are you kidding? Mine is an SE with the sports seats in it, and they are some of the best seats I have ever experienced in a car. Did yours have the proper sports ones, or just the standard flat ones?
Reply 39
Original post by Killuminati1989
The Hyundai i10 is a 1 litre and due to its very small CO2 emmissions, it is exempt from road tax... also Hyundai are offering 5 year manufacturers warranty compared to the conventional 3 year warranty offered by every other manufacturer

Its also slow and miserable to drive with every inch of excitement a car can possibly be offer being removed from the outset. If all your after is economy (aka not spending a lot of money) at the detriment of everything else then you can have an Audi A2 TDI for 4k with not bad miles and save 6k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending