The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing the American economy? (Gosh it sounds boring typing it up :frown: )
Probably not, but it's worth a try :smile:
Original post by venuswaltz
wooh snap :biggrin: I agree that Thaw is likely to come up. But the June 2010 exam had a question on Sino-Soviet split so perhaps they might do one on the Sino-USA Rapprochement this time?

I think you're right not to focus too much on the nucluer section. I've decided to take a risk and not revise Detente as much.

I really really hope the thaw comes up and it's an easy to understand question. Sometimes the way they word things is so tricky :frown:

Would be kind of glad if sino-usa rapprochement comes up as I just seem to understand the topic.

But the Thaw easy? :s-smilie: I don't get the thaw. Help?
Reply 162
Hoping to god a Sino-Soviet question doesn't come up, or if it does, that the alternative is a 'nice' question. The SS info just doesn't seem to go in :frown:
For the French Revolution controversy. I'm not all too confident on the too much reform too quickly and how this directly contributed to the fall of the constitutional monarchy in 1792. Does anyone know what we should write if this comes up in the sources?
Reply 164
Original post by Brand New Eyes
For the French Revolution controversy. I'm not all too confident on the too much reform too quickly and how this directly contributed to the fall of the constitutional monarchy in 1792. Does anyone know what we should write if this comes up in the sources?

Hello,

Well for this particular bullet point I found 4 reasons why it may have contributed to the fall of the constitutional monarchy:
1. The Struggle over the Civil Constitution of the Clergy:
*the whole oath thing caused a divide within the catholic church, those who swore the oath supported the revolution
*Pope didn't support the revolution so they had an affluent individual on their side

2. Generic changes that occurred in quick succession 1789-92:
*Gov~ wanted to create jobs, remove guilds, collective bargaining.picketing and strikes made illegal in 1791
*Law~ Taxing of the 1st and 2nd estate made taxation fairer, new legal systems created unity
*Economy~ Abolition of tariffs as a result of National Market established, laissez-faire

3. The Legislative assembly: 1791-2
*Consisted of king Lousi XVI, Jacobins, Feuillants,Girondins, 23 Clergy Bourgoise members around 745
*FAILED-King reluctant to accept measures caused mistrust between the king and ministers
*Laws: Nov 1791
All emigres who did not return to france and forfeit properties were trators
All non-jurors were being suspects

4. 1791 Constitution:
*replaced absolute monarchy by restricting kings powers
* failure as it lacked Louis support, he was executed in 1793
* New Constitution in 1794-5

The reform highlighted the weaknesses in the King-his disinterest in the people and lack of support.
Rise in opposition because of the Kings bad moves, clear divide, the King had no longer had the full support of all estates

Basically, I dont know if this is all waffle or helpful in any way...
Im sooo scared about this exam..!
:eek:
why are you so good!!! help me how do i structure a source based question
Reply 166
Original post by NornIronKitKat
Section A will have two questions to choose from. The general consensus seems to be a Second Reich question is likely because it is yet to come up. WW2 seems less likely than most others as it has been asked about twice, however if it does come up it is most probably going to have an economic slant.

Section B will have a WW1 controversy and a Nazi controversy.

Hope that helps!

Thankyou so much! I'm hoping for a Stresseman years question Section A:/
Can anyone help me,
How do i structure a source based question? doing the cold war and learnign the end of cw, i jut get so confused by the sources and feel like im litterally just dictating what is written!!!
Original post by Lula

Basically, I dont know if this is all waffle or helpful in any way...
Im sooo scared about this exam..!
:eek:

Hi!

No no, this was REALLY helpful. Thank you so much. I wouldn't be worried if I were you, it seems like you're prepared?

It reminded my that, because the onset of reforms came so quickly and at a surprise to Louis who had lost all his power, this was what pushed him to defy the Constitution which he didn't really believe in and flee to Varennes as he was so deeply religious and believed in his absolute power to rule.

Do you possibly have a similar plan for the

consequence of the machinations of a radical minority
and/or the divisions amongst conservative forces?
:smile:
Reply 169
For the 40 mark questions were sources are used. Now the main things that you really need to know in order to be successful are as follows:

Source Analysis: Analyse and interpret the content of the source so immediately you can identify elements of challenge and support to the statement which will help you form a structured and thematic response.

Quotations: it is essential that you directly quote evidence from the sources in order to support your argument. this shows the examiner that you have carefully selected the appropriate material in order to make you judgement. Use the sources as much as you can and always support the evidence with your own knowledge.

Plan and structure the essay: it is absolutely necessary to plan you essays, trust me. I allows to form a clear structure which can generally be divided into themes. Also, you can always refer to your plan even when your head is a bit scrambled under pressure. Also you have a greater chance pf being coherent. that does get you marks on organisation.

Causal Links: Social, political, economic

Note: All of the causal factors wont necessarily be in the sources so make your own knowledge is up to scratch!
For controversy 1, I will do at least 4 paragraphs:

* Personal Mistakes and failures of Louis
*Too much reform too quickly
*The results of war and The deepening economic crisis
* The machinations of a radical minority and the divisions of conservative forces

This way regardless of what is in the sources I will be prepared for a well rounded and in depth response by covering all bases.. :biggrin: hopefully!

Introduction: Context, focus, outline

Paragraphs: Take a themed approach, make a clear judgement about the validity of the question, use the sources and own knowledge to support the your judgement. Always refer back to the statement as it shows you clearly understand the question and are deployment of evaluation, organisation and coherence.

Conclusion: Judgement linked into argument created throughout and use of the sources.
In your conclusion make an ultimate judgement which is clear, also use one of the sources you have used to support this argument in the conclusion and possible evaluation if you have time....x

DONT INTRODUCE NEW IDEAS....x

Hope this might help guys...x
:^_^:
Reply 170
Ohhh good...
Well I did these a while ago so I just have to remember them....
My issue is the Thermidorian reaction....its complicated for me cause soo much happened!!!

Yeah I dooo....Ill post it in a min..x
:smile:
Reply 171
Original post by venuswaltz
wooh snap :biggrin: I agree that Thaw is likely to come up. But the June 2010 exam had a question on Sino-Soviet split so perhaps they might do one on the Sino-USA Rapprochement this time?

I think you're right not to focus too much on the nucluer section. I've decided to take a risk and not revise Detente as much.

I really really hope the thaw comes up and it's an easy to understand question. Sometimes the way they word things is so tricky :frown:

damn I was hoping for detente to come up, revised that loads! will do some work on the thaw if you guys think its likely!

with Sino-US though I swear it isn't really much of a beefy topic so would be quite hard to do a question on it? What kinda things would you think it could up as?
Please Say someone else on this planet is doing the Unit 3 Topic of Revolution, Republic and restoration?? Dude, I think everyone hates this period... BBC revise does all history except this one. GUTTED. Anyways... Have anyone got a really good Revision Pack so i could check i have covered everything? ALSO and examplar essays cos i'm Major struggling with getting the Balance of sources and own knowledge correct. So unprepared. Nvm. <3
Reply 173
Original post by WH1892
damn I was hoping for detente to come up, revised that loads! will do some work on the thaw if you guys think its likely!

with Sino-US though I swear it isn't really much of a beefy topic so would be quite hard to do a question on it? What kinda things would you think it could up as?

My teacher thinks Ostpolitik/ Sino- US relations may come up as they haven't come up yet.

Out of the 4th depth questions we were reccommended to know 3 in sig. detail that way there is a chance of at least 1 coming up or if we're lucky 2.
Personally revising the thaw, arms race and detente. Hoping the detente and the thaw would come up.
Reply 174
Original post by WH1892

How significant was ping-pong diplomacy for the development of superpower relations in the years 1969-1975?

This one's also kind of Sino-US..

How important to the United States' management of its Cold War diplomacy were relations between the USSR and China in the years 1962-1976?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 175
For people doing the Cold War.. Does anyone have notes on the fall of the Berlin Wall? My notes seem to be nonexistent here :tongue:

Hey guys!
URGENT HELP NEEDED!
I'm doing Protest, Crisis and Rebellion 1536-1588. I think I'm ok on it. I'm hoping for anglo-spanish relations (perhaps how religion affected it) but that't come up before so I'm not too hopeful. Or a good Parliament question. I know most people prefer the rebellions controversy but for some reason I find it really hard! Faction would be ok-ish but I really hope we don't get any revolution in government (Cromwell's reforms etc), or religious reforms :/
Anyway what I need help with is- historians views. My teacher says we don't need to be able to name drop historians from own knowledge but quite a few of the model answers do. I know you have to be careful not just to randomly mention them to seem smart butI don't really know any. Does anyone have a goodway of remembering them? All I've got so far is:
Elton- thought Cromwell was totally responsible for the government reforms, disagress with Neale about the Puritan choir, doesn't think much of Somerset and thought Edward was pathetic and unimportant.
Loach: believes Edward was important and strong, doesnt't like Northumberland
John Guy- anti-Somerset. I know Guy loves Elton but I'm sure I remember his views coming up a lot, I just can't remember what they are!
Loades: Northumberland's fall was bad luck, not his misjudgement
But I remember loads more people popping up in the text book- McCulloch, Duffy, Russell, Haigh and Hoake. Does it matter that I don't know their views? Thanks -sorry about the long post xx Whislt I quite enjoy the course I'm so worried for the exam becuase there are so few past papers so anything could come up :s
Reply 177
Original post by politics_student
My History teacher strongly thinks the Restoration of the Bourbons could come up, with a possibility of the Directory coming up as well.

With regard to your question about Napoleon, it could be about how he neglected the idealism of the Revolution, how far he could be seen as dictatorial, etc.

yeah, my teacher seems to think the same as the revolution and napoleon came up last year.
Reply 178
Original post by Alxndra
How significant was ping-pong diplomacy for the development of superpower relations in the years 1969-1975?

This one's also kind of Sino-US..

How important to the United States' management of its Cold War diplomacy were relations between the USSR and China in the years 1962-1976?

I just feel that those periods are sort of the middle ground and that the only signifigance of US-Sino Relations is the effect it had on US-Soviet relations and Detente. Am I missing something key?
For the french revolution, does anyone know why the third estate weren't informed of the royal session? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending